Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

students are found murdered in man's basement

K_Bonita

Friends and family have expressed their outrage over the deaths of two popular students shot by a homeowner while they robbed his home - as he revealed he fired 'more shots than he needed to'.

The bodies of cousins Haile Kifer, 18, and Nicholas Brady Schaeffel, 17, were found in Byron Smith's basement in Little Falls, Minnesota on Friday - the day after they were shot dead on Thanksgiving.

When police arrived at his home after reports of suspicious activity, Smith, 64, confessed to shooting the teenagers repeatedly and stashing their bodies after they broke into his home, authorities said.

On Monday, he was charged with second-degree murder and police revealed he told them he fired more shots than necessary after his gun jammed and Kifer laughed at him.

I personally think this was wrong what he did,the teens didn't seem to have any weapons on them from what I've read in the article and shooting someone more than once it being a teen in the first place is more than enough. He should have called the cops and let them handle the situation instead of making it into a bigger deal than it was,he just put himself in a tougher spot.

Do you think what he did was okay or not?.

There's already a thread about this. It's in the US news section.

HM should have checked that sections, oh well thanks for letting me know :)

Absolutely not because your actions in the aftermath define you.

A normal law-abiding citizen would not try to conceal the bodies in the basement.

I'm afraid home invasions are becoming too frequent and I understand panic sets in.

But you need to keep a level head and you never know the authories might be lenient.

However at the very least this guy is perverting the course of justice.

He should have the book thrown at him when it all he needed to do was pick up the phone.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got what the deservered

I don't think so.Yes they were on his property,but they weren't armed themselves according to the story.Why kill them? Why not just point the gun and say"I am calling the police,don't move or I will shoot".It's tragic these kids are dead by this guy.He obviously should face prison time for this.He shot them more times then he had to.He stashed their bodies.This was murder and it wasn't justified in the situation.And what about firing several shots into the chest of the girl? This guy is sick and deserves to go to prison the rest of his life. Edited by Lucas North-justiceseeker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Teenagers rob and murder all the time, lots of them are in gangs. How do you know what is on their mind. They did just break into his home. I think he was within his right to shoot them. He should of called the cops as soon as it was over though instead of hiding the bodies.

Tell the lady that was protecting herself and her twins she should of only shot that man once.

• Like 3

Not so popular now are they! Really the boys were lucky they were shot on site, gods knows what "could" have happened if the resident was willing to stash the bodies.

Well I have mixed opinions.

I think if you rob someone's house and are in the house then it's your fault if you get shot.

The fact they weren't armed makes no difference, for all the old man knew they could of

been armed with knives or guns. A lot of robbers these days are violent and will think

nothing of beating the crap out of house owners.And in some cases killing.

But on the other hand keeping there bodies in his basement and repeatedly shooting them

sounds a bit sadistic and Tony Martin like.

So I think he has to go to jail because keeping bodies in basement is werid.

why not shoot them in there legs once, and call the police.

there's no need to go all terminator on there asses

• Like 1

Well I have mixed opinions.

I think if you rob someone's house and are in the house then it's your fault if you get shot.

The fact they weren't armed makes no difference, for all the old man knew they could of

been armed with knives or guns. A lot of robbers these days are violent and will think

nothing of beating the crap out of house owners.And in some cases killing.

But on the other hand keeping there bodies in his basement and repeatedly shooting them

sounds a bit sadistic and Tony Martin like.

So I think he has to go to jail because keeping bodies in basement is werid.

why not shoot them in there legs once, and call the police.

there's no need to go all terminator on there asses

Shooting them in the leg may not prevent them from using a gun 'successfully' ...... or possibly even using a knife to their advantage.

I think he only had the bodies in the basement for less than 24hrs ...... he was shocked and asked a neighbour how to proceed(presumably to set himself up with a good lawyer before the police took over the situation).

Not so popular now are they! Really the boys were lucky they were shot on site, gods knows what "could" have happened if the resident was willing to stash the bodies.

i may have read this wrong, but can not see how being shot and killed could be called "lucky" and as for stashed...he did stash them in his basement.

As pointed out earlier, there was no need to kill them, the guy could have shot them each once and maimed them, he would have known by then that they were not armed.

I agree they should have been maimed, to teach them a lesson, but shot and killed and then stashed in the basement? who did he think he was.. John Wayne Gacy?

the guy could have shot them each once and maimed them,

What do you mean by that? That once they were down he should've taken a knife and gone at them?

They are already injured after being shot.

We can throw all sorts of labels around in an attempt to dehumanize one side and turn the other into a hero but the reality is that a man, who obviously is a few eggs short of an omelet, not only shot them but purposely killed them after they were incapacitated then didn't even call the police until way later.

You can't undo "dead".

What do you mean by that? That once they were down he should've taken a knife and gone at them?

They are already injured after being shot.

We can throw all sorts of labels around in an attempt to dehumanize one side and turn the other into a hero but the reality is that a man, who obviously is a few eggs short of an omelet, not only shot them but purposely killed them after they were incapacitated then didn't even call the police until way later.

You can't undo "dead".

HUH? No, one shot is enough to maim!

The rest i agree with you on.

• 3 months later...

Good, justice has been served. As I said this before this guy was not John Wayne Gacy but he was not far off!! First degree murder it WAS!

Edited by freetoroam

wow, vicious response from the homeowner. He stepped way outside the intention of the law on this, IMO.

It became murder when they were both down and he went in close to finish them off, let alone waiting a day to call the law out to his house. Thumbs down for Mr. Smith, unleash the lions!

• Like 2

Sorry ladies, but I don't agree with you :(

Sorry ladies, but I don't agree with you :(

Prosecutors have said an audio recording Smith made of the shootings includes him telling a wounded Kifer 'you're dying,' before firing the final shot.

=================================

He knew they were not armed. The 2 were by no means innocent, but shot to death?

Prosecutors have said an audio recording Smith made of the shootings includes him telling a wounded Kifer 'you're dying,' before firing the final shot.

=================================

He knew they were not armed. The 2 were by no means innocent, but shot to death?

It suddenly occurred to me when I was reading the article earlier, that maybe he was meaning 'because you are almost dead I will put you out of your misery'.

It suddenly occurred to me when I was reading the article earlier, that maybe he was meaning 'because you are almost dead I will put you out of your misery'.

How very noble of him!

• Like 1

I had a split second of that thought until it was more clear in the article that this was after he had stood over her and put several (or more?) bullets into her chest, AFTER the first shot that hit her and caused her to fall down the stairs into the basement. THEN he gave her what he calls the "clean kill-shot".

There's so much malice in what he did, I stand firm, he deserves charges.

Edited by Leftcoastgal
  • Like 4

Yeah, I support his right to defend his home, but he clearly went for revenge.

It is hard to muster up any real pity for the robbers though. If you play a dangerous game, sometimes you lose. Tragic waste of young lives by the poor decisions of all involved.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 4