Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Cost of Corporate Welfare..erm..subsidies

jugoso

Subsidy Tracker:

A growing number of state governments are disclosing which companies they are giving tax breaks and other subsidies in the name of job creation and economic development. Yet much of that information is being disseminated through hard-to-find reports and web pages. SUBSIDY TRACKER brings together the information from those far-flung sources--along with unpublished data obtained through open records requests--to create the first national search engine for state economic development subsidies. We have also begun to add data from city and county subsidy programs.

http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/subsidy-tracker

• Like 1

If the states don't provide incentives for the companies to stay put, they will go elsewhere, including out of the country. Doesn't seem fair, but that's the way it goes. Companies (they're people too!!!) essentially have state governments - hell, all governments - by the proverbial balls when it comes to this kind of stuff. They don't care if they provide jobs or not.

If the states don't provide incentives for the companies to stay put, they will go elsewhere, including out of the country. Doesn't seem fair, but that's the way it goes. Companies (they're people too!!!) essentially have state governments - hell, all governments - by the proverbial balls when it comes to this kind of stuff. They don't care if they provide jobs or not.

See, that is the fallacy number one, now if you buy cheap then don't complain that the local industry produces substandard and if you buy foreign don't complain that your job is going overseas.

• Like 1

now if you buy cheap then don't complain that the local industry produces substandard and if you buy foreign don't complain that your job is going overseas.

You seem to have no clue what is the cause and what is the consequence.

Edited by aztek

I love the corporate CEO's that publically backed Obama's "tax the rich" plan are now all setting up special dividend sales before the end of the year so they only have to pay the 15% rate instead of the new 43% rate, saving and making them each millions of dollars more. What a much of hippocrates.

You seem to have no clue what is the cause and what is the consequence.

The cause is always the consumer, especially in a consumer driven economy like the good old US of A.

lol, sure thing,

like short skirts are reason for rapes.

So, who has the power to choose which product to buy and which not? The politicians?

It would become you to use your brain occasionally.

I can see both sides of the issue. I think some sort of government subsidies on the local level could encourage investment and jobs, but it seems like the process or theory has been greatly abused. We just had a case of that locally, and now the local government is on the hook for about $20 million after the company when bankrupt.

Really, it seems more like incipient fascism to me.

• Like 1

So, who has the power to choose which product to buy and which not? The politicians?

It would become you to use your brain occasionally.

lol, it is absolutely irrelevant, and dumb, just like most of the stuff you post.

again it has nothing to do with consumer, research the facts.

did gm almost failed due to poor sales??? no.

did hostess factory closed due to poor sales? no.

but i don't expect you to brush aside your antiamerican conspiracy and see the truth.

go tell your crap to your bees, i'm sure they are good listeners.

lol, it is absolutely irrelevant, and dumb, just like most of the stuff you post.

again it has nothing to do with consumer, research the facts.

did gm almost failed due to poor sales??? no.

did hostess factory closed due to poor sales? no.

but i don't expect you to brush aside your antiamerican conspiracy and see the truth.

go tell your crap to your bees, i'm sure they are good listeners.

What? Why would you ask such dumb questions and then answer them incorrectly? Both GM and Hostess suffered from poor business practices and poor sales.

I can see both sides of the issue. I think some sort of government subsidies on the local level could encourage investment and jobs, but it seems like the process or theory has been greatly abused. We just had a case of that locally, and now the local government is on the hook for about $20 million after the company when bankrupt.

Really, it seems more like incipient fascism to me.

I am in total agreement with you on this one BR. The bigger employers are playing the states off of each other and everyone is paying the price. There´s a good 6:00 minute video here about Kansas City and Missouri

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2012/12/01/business/100000001832941/border-war.html

What? Why would you ask such dumb questions and then answer them incorrectly? Both GM and Hostess suffered from poor business practices and poor sales.

And from planning from quarter to quarter instead of looking ten years ahead... but that is typical for all US business.

lol, no. unions, google it

The cause is always the consumer, especially in a consumer driven economy like the good old US of A.

Except when the consumer has no choice on what to buy. You control whatever is traded you can pretty much do whatever you want. We are forced to pay out right to the government and we are forced to pay for their currency for the things we need. We don't get enough money we can't get the best product. We lower the value of ourselves while improving others when that happen. Problem is who really is the consumer and what are they buying? That's the question that needs to be asked.

Except when the consumer has no choice on what to buy. You control whatever is traded you can pretty much do whatever you want. We are forced to pay out right to the government and we are forced to pay for their currency for the things we need. We don't get enough money we can't get the best product. We lower the value of ourselves while improving others when that happen. Problem is who really is the consumer and what are they buying? That's the question that needs to be asked.

Ask any board member of Wallmart and they will tell you it is the other way around. Consumer driven economies have the goods the consumer wants...which lately, sadly, is cheap and who cares who looses his job.

lol, no. unions, google it

LOL! No, you are letting your bias get in the way of reality. Poor business practices, in hostess's case bordering on criminal, and poor sales.

LOL! No, you are letting your bias get in the way of reality. Poor business practices, in hostess's case bordering on criminal, and poor sales.

And a pay raise that needed no unions allowed by the court... for the management while in bankruptcy protection.

If I were a union negotiator I would not have taken a pay cut after that either.

lol, sorry QM, that was actually funny.

ehm, yes. Seems that it is true that blind chickens occasionally find a grain... But don't tell him or his head will not fit through any door anymore...

Ask any board member of Wallmart and they will tell you it is the other way around. Consumer driven economies have the goods the consumer wants...which lately, sadly, is cheap and who cares who looses his job.

Your looking at the wrong part. Look bigger.

They are using what works but in the confines of what they are allowed to do. Things are being made cheaper because we are getting less to spend. We need money to survive they are doing what they can to make money. I can't hold it against them for doing what works in a broken system.

Which is why I asked the question who is the consumer and what are they consuming. Sounds like a conspiracy but really it isn't it's just survival at it's simplest form. To live we must consume.

Your looking at the wrong part. Look bigger.

They are using what works but in the confines of what they are allowed to do. Things are being made cheaper because we are getting less to spend. We need money to survive they are doing what they can to make money. I can't hold it against them for doing what works in a broken system.

Which is why I asked the question who is the consumer and what are they consuming. Sounds like a conspiracy but really it isn't it's just survival at it's simplest form. To live we must consume.

There is no bigger, the only place where your choice is somewhat limited is there where it comes to food and water, as sooner or later you will have to eat and drink. The rest is all optional and you have the power.

• Like 1

Now your looking to big. Your not wrong about the consuming at all. What your misplacing is where money takes place in the whole process. If you can only get water by paying and only one person has all the water you have no choice but to go to them. The only choice you have is either steal it, buy it, or trade for it. If you can only buy water with money and you can't steal it or get what you need to pay for it and can't trade anything for it what choices do you have other then die or find another source?

This also applies to money since now it is needed to survive. When the local economy is getting cheaper products something is going on to disrupt the natural order of things(The invisible hand).

Since we have to have money to survive instead of using it as a tool to trade the system is broken. Why do you think it is difficult to return products or even impossible to return things you actually need? The loss of money aka the loss of something that they need.

One of the reasons why Yours and Our economy's is in mess is because the markets are being flooded with cheap and nasty Chinese /Korean and other foreign goods.When people wise up and stop buying this rubbish which doesnt last 5 minutes, your own Countries industries will wake up and start producing items that people need, marked "MADE IN THE USA",Would you rather have a properly made American car,or some foreign cheap rubbish.The problem of course is the the home made car is probably 3 times the price.But isnt that worth it ??.

• Like 1