Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China prepares to grow vegetables on Mars

seeder

"Chinese astronauts are preparing to grow fresh vegetables on Mars and the moon after researchers successfully completed a preliminary test in Beijing, state media reported.

Four kinds of vegetables were grown in an "ecological life support system", a 300 cubic metre cabin which will allow astronauts to develop their own stocks of air, water and food while on space missions, Xinhua news agency said Monday"

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-prepares-grow-vegetables-mars-050303251.html

If they can even get there that is....!!!

Sweet! So, does this mean that Chinese take out will now be available on Mars? I'll have combo #5!

• Like 3

The Chinese people will indeed achieve their goals, maybe ahead of the Americans, this may in turn lead to 'another' space race. **SNIP**

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
refered to a removed post

Impossible in long term. Plants needs air and food in the ground which are not auto-regenerated ressource which pop out from nothing.

Impossible in long term. Plants needs air and food in the ground which are not auto-regenerated ressource which pop out from nothing.

A good question.

The article does not seem to address that issue directly, but it did mentioned that it was "advanced" and utilizes algae for part of it's process.

I also pressume, without knowledge, that there is some form of extraction process for obtaining water, minerals, and possibly even oxygen from the ground. Not sure about that though.

Well Biosphere 1 and 2 failed hopelessly, so do the Chinese know something that the west doesn't?

Can we continue this thread without the casual racism/racial stereotyping please.

Well Biosphere 1 and 2 failed hopelessly, so do the Chinese know something that the west doesn't?

Not necessarily.

The Chinese experiment seems to be a lot smaller and less ambitious (at least initially) than the Biosphere project. The Chinese experiment is only 300m3, Biosphere 2 covers 3.14 acres. 12,700 m2.It looks like they are taking a more long term view into trying to achieve what Biosphere failed to do.

Just to contradict you on one thing, Biosphere 1 works pretty well, it's the Earth, the experiment was called Biosphere 2 to reflect this.

• Like 1

Mars is Chinese historical territory. The Chinese Government hopes that every country respects our territorial sovereignty. But in case you don't. Armed shuttles will patrol the area with authority to stop search and detail your space craft. Thank You.

Just to contradict you on one thing, Biosphere 1 works pretty well, it's the Earth, the experiment was called Biosphere 2 to reflect this.

Got the names wrong, I was referring to the two Bioshere 2 missions. No stereotyping from my side intended.

I would say there already IS a space race.

Strip joints on the moon,farms on mars ,solar energy plants on Jupiter .

Blah blah blah .

This will be the next great fight .

Who gets what in space .History will repeat itself yet again .

A whole new bunch of worlds to conquer .everyone fighting over all of it .

Thrillsville .

I would say there already IS a space race.

Strip joints on the moon,farms on mars ,solar energy plants on Jupiter .

Blah blah blah .

This will be the next great fight .

Who gets what in space .History will repeat itself yet again .

A whole new bunch of worlds to conquer .everyone fighting over all of it .

Thrillsville .

Not in our Life time Were all hittin the Wall in 11 days ! THen mankind will re-group re-build,And get right back the the Cat & Mouse game we call Life !

• 2 weeks later...

That's a long way to go to do your grocery shopping...

It is indeed, but the food is literally "out of this world" !!!!