Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thermography -- 'Pinocchio Effect' confirmed:

Karlis

When a person lies, they experience a "Pinocchio effect"

which is an increase in the temperature around the nose and in the orbital muscle in the inner corner of the eye. In addition, when we perform a considerable mental effort our face temperature drops, and when we have an anxiety attack our face temperature rises.

When we lie about our feelings, the temperature around our nose raises and a brain element called "insula" is activated. The insula is a component of the brain reward system, and it only activates when we experience real feelings (called "qualias").

Read more

• Like 2

Nothing, the Pinochio connection is the nose.

But Pinocchia`s nose didn`t get hot .

Just the fact that lying does something to the nose, and area around it, is enough to warrant this 'name'. In other words, scientists aren't imaginative at all.

Cool toy for police interrogations. Just need to remove the right to silence in the Western world. Will solve a lot more crime. Can't prove the original charge but guilty on six counts of wilfully misleading a police officer under the Pinocchio Act 2012.

• Like 1

Cool toy for police interrogations. Just need to remove the right to silence in the Western world. Will solve a lot more crime. Can't prove the original charge but guilty on six counts of wilfully misleading a police officer under the Pinocchio Act 2012.

Depends, lie tell tales work on 'normal' people, not on pathological; and trained liars.

The important question, I guess, would be can anything else heat up one's nose? haha.. Seems ridiculous, but if this would be used as a method of interogation, probably good to know...

And how are we supposed to carry this thermographic equipment with us?

They are really small these days, the one im working with is not much bigger than a normal camera...... so just ask anyone you think is lying if you can take a photo....nothing suspicious at all lol

well they have those plastic strips that take your temperature - they could just make them more sensitive and put an adhesive backing on them and folks could just go around wearing them across the bridge of the nose, so we'd all know who's lying.

Edited by JGirl

They are really small these days, the one im working with is not much bigger than a normal camera...... so just ask anyone you think is lying if you can take a photo....nothing suspicious at all lol

Maybe i'd ask, if i could take them a picture, because i am a celebrities' agent and i like them. No one would reject the offer to become famous! :P

Depends, lie tell tales work on 'normal' people, not on pathological; and trained liars.

Hmmm. Well not all crooks are pathological liars but a lot are. Still. In Australia a lie detector has no evidentiary value in the courts exactly due to your point.

You can make the truth look like a lie just by simply saying something in a different way. You ask the wrong questions you make it easier to misguide the truth. There is a huge difference when you say I can walk on water when you really mean you can walk on ice if you think of water as both. Training and/or being clever can beat any lie test.

Lol my nose gets warm when I drink and drinking tends to make me exaggerated things more often so they maybe on to something :P

• Like 3

Now if they can get C-Span to use this technology and broadcast a picture in picture of this, watching congressmen talk could get real interesting.

• Like 2

Interesting topic... I wonder how the law would use this new information on human physiology since the current lie detectors results are inadmissable in US courts.

Seems like this type of lie detector can also be beat if one has been drinking and the nose gets warm... lol Then again, I've been known to spew unnecessary truths while inebriated anyway. :blush:

• Like 1

as soon s they find a way to tell if a person is lying, someone starts finding a way to get around it.

i read a case of a guy who had put tacks inside his shoes to mess up the polygraph results. he could somehow manipulate his reading by causing pain to his feet.

• Like 1

as soon s they find a way to tell if a person is lying, someone starts finding a way to get around it.

i read a case of a guy who had put tacks inside his shoes to mess up the polygraph results. he could somehow manipulate his reading by causing pain to his feet.

I read about him too! Jumping Jack Slash was his name, I think. :)

I read about him too! Jumping Jack Slash was his name, I think. :)

don't remember the name of the guy, but he's not the only one who had done it. any type of detection is going to have it's downfalls, unless one can read minds.

there seems to be a shortage of psychic people working in law enforcement...

• Like 1