Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Star Wars fans build full-size...

keithisco

Not sure where to post this, but as it was reported by the BBC, and is International in scope I have put it here:

"Star Wars fans around the world are coming together on the internet to construct a real-life version of the film's Millennium Falcon spacecraft.

Conceived by a US fan in Nashville, Tennessee, the Full Scale Millennium Falcon Project aims to use the internet to crowd-source efforts to build the famous ship, which will be adorned with all the trimmings aside from a working engine.

With the help of an intricately designed 3D model created by college student Stinson Lenz, a project contributor in Alabama has already erected the console of the craft as well as one of its two laser guns.

Project founder Chris Lee has purchased an 88-acre (35-hectare) plot of land in Tennessee on which the ship will sit.

He intends to use the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" as a place to hold workshops for students who wish to learn to weld, paint or build.

The BBC's Matt Danzico visited Mr Lee in Tennessee and another contributor, Greg Dietrich, in Alabama."

LINK to article (All Rights BBC)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20536090

LINK to project

http://fullscalefalcon.com/faq/

• Like 2

Millennium Falcon'd be quite fun. I was rather hoping it'd be a full size Death Star, though. :sk

Cool!!

However there is a critially fatal flaw in this plan....

Where is the toilet?

MillenniumFalconCrossSection-SWICS.jpg

• Like 3

Cool!!

Where is the toilet?

I expect it's in the "Secret compartments" under the deck. Wookiiees, of course, just do it out of the window. :blush:

incidentally, very useful diagram, that. It looks, then, like it uses Torsional Multidimensional Physics, as explained by our good friend Mr. Hoagland.

• Like 1

Awww some people have far too much spare time. What a waste of resources, time, energy, materials...why??!!

From the article -- "He intends to use the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" as a place to hold workshops for students who wish to learn to weld, paint or build."

An entertaining place to hold classes on a trade that can be a decent career for some people. Sounds good to me. Besides, there are so many more extreme examples of waste of materials and time... it is completely in the eye of the beholder. I bet these guys who built it had a blast and love the finished result. No waste here.

• Like 1

I expect it's in the "Secret compartments" under the deck. Wookiiees, of course, just do it out of the window. :blush:

incidentally, very useful diagram, that. It looks, then, like it uses Torsional Multidimensional Physics, as explained by our good friend Mr. Hoagland.

lol..

Damn wookies have no morals do they lol...

I didn't think of the secret compartments as a good place to take a dump.. I suspect that would surprise the empire when they to board the ship for a search...

It's typical of smugglers really.. Lot's of secret compartments, but no-one thought to put a loo in the ship.. Whoever put that ship together needs to be taken out back and shot.. or better still, be forced to spend a month in a ship with no toilet.

Awww some people have far too much spare time. What a waste of resources, time, energy, materials...why??!!

For fun?

• Like 1

And why not! :D I think what they're doing is interesting and something different. Good for them :tu:

And why not! :D I think what they're doing is interesting and something different. Good for them :tu:

I agree with Still Waters. Shuh, I've wasted a lot more time, money, energy, and whatnot on much less rewarding endeavors.

Hey, wait a minute...

Excellent.

Oh and Bling & hatecraft..... :td:

Edited by itsnotoutthere

How long do you guys think they've got before the Government seizes it?

Edited by Insaniac

Excellent.

Oh and Bling & hatecraft..... :td:

Hatecraft? I have an opinion which may be different to some on this thread - deal with it!

Cool!!

Where is the toilet?

Well... They have a "Number Two Hold" So I guess that's where that goes... but as for number One....

• Like 2

From the article -- "He intends to use the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" as a place to hold workshops for students who wish to learn to weld, paint or build."

An entertaining place to hold classes on a trade that can be a decent career for some people. Sounds good to me. Besides, there are so many more extreme examples of waste of materials and time... it is completely in the eye of the beholder. I bet these guys who built it had a blast and love the finished result. No waste here.

It's nowhere near finished, still looking to crowd - sourcing to actually offer help. This is a brilliant idea, no State Funding, no boring "Red - Brick" institutions for teaching sought after skills. Definitely "No Waste", People volunteer time and skills, as and when they want...

Cool!!

Where is the toilet?

Ah, the elephant in the room for most sci-fi vessels. I keep envisaging an unseen scene ffrom ST:TNG

Ryker knocking on door: "Captain, we're surrounded by Romulan Warbirds"

Picard: "I'm doing a number two, number one - can't you deal with it?"

• Like 1