Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photographer takes picture of man on tracks

Render

Why did no one help him? Outrage as commuters stand back while man desperately tries to escape path of New York subway train as suspect admits to pushing father on tracks

• Suspect Naeem Davis, 30, admits to pushing 58-year-old Ki Suk Han onto subway tracks at 49th Street in Manhattan
  • Han, a father of one, killed by oncoming Q train as he tried to pull himself up from tracks
  • Davis was arrested one block from subway station in nearby Times Square
  • New York Post freelance photographer took pictures of grisly moments before Han was fatally struck
  • Paper has been blasted for poor taste in publishing Han's last moments

http://www.dailymail...mes-Square.html

I remember a case back in the 70's I believe where a man fell into a river in winter time... A TV film crew happened to be in the area and simply stood by and filmed while the man drowned... They made no attempt to rescue him at all - simply commenting on how terrible it was - "Film at 11:00!"...

They were prosecuted for manslaughter...

Not sure in the case above if the photographer could have done anything with the train that close - but he could have at least tried! And the paper was absolutely "in poor taste" for printing that picture...

Also, shame on the others who stood by not wanting to get involved...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 5

I saw this on FB today, made me sick! Is the media really that more important than life? I believe that the person or people that took the picture should be charge with some sort neglect. If one can make a citizens arrest one should be even more obligated to at least attempt to save a life. Shame on the NY post.

• Like 3

"for the love of many will grow cold"

Most reporters think that their reportage is more important than human beings. Shame on them :td:

• Like 5

This has horrified the city .He scrambled for one full minute to get up ,and no one would help him .

No one should look at the footage in my opinion .Image if you were this man's child,parent ,and its all over the news.

They got the guy .

So senseless .

• Like 2

More here -

A New York Post photographer has hit back against critics over pictures he took of a man moments from death on a subway track.

Freelancer R Umar Abbasi said in a media interview that he had used his camera flash to alert the train driver, rather than to snap photos.

The tabloid's front-page story, headlined This Man Is About To Die, has triggered fierce ethical debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20611140

More here -

A New York Post photographer has hit back against critics over pictures he took of a man moments from death on a subway track.

Freelancer R Umar Abbasi said in a media interview that he had used his camera flash to alert the train driver, rather than to snap photos.

The tabloid's front-page story, headlined This Man Is About To Die, has triggered fierce ethical debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20611140

If that were true,he wouldn't have sold the photo to every media agency going,and none of us would be looking at it right now.

And unless it was a very wide shot ,the man in line of fire,is on a diffferent trajectory than where the conductor is .

The train would be in the photo ,not the man on the tracks .I haven't looked at it ,so I cannot say for sure ,but that sounds like a lousy lie .

A woman video taped it . They stood there ,immortilizing it ,instead of helping the guy .

*sags* I really cannot look at this stuff....anymore.

I looked ,the photo looks like its focused on the center of the image ,to get the man and train ,in perfect perspective .He's a liar and a cretin . He's also a tabloid photog .Those guys are scum .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 4

How the heck is a camera flash supposed to alert the driver that there is a person on the track?... This photographer is either a liar or a moron...

Besides... The guy was on the tracks for a full minute before the train got there.. Plenty of time to lend a helping hand - if he had wanted to...

• Like 3

How the heck is a camera flash supposed to alert the driver that there is a person on the track?... This photographer is either a liar or a moron...

Besides... The guy was on the tracks for a full minute before the train got there.. Plenty of time to lend a helping hand - if he had wanted to...

Exactly what I was thinking. If you ask me, the photographer's not telling the whole truth.

If I was in the conductor's shoes, I wouldn't pick up on a camera's flash being used as an alert. Not to mention, it's not like we can just stop the freaking train. And this man had a full minute to help the guy?

• Like 1

It is hardly fair to screech at the photographer for not helping as the bystanders too were guilty of the same.

It is hardly fair to screech at the photographer for not helping as the bystanders too were guilty of the same.

It's fair to be angry at all of them. They're all guilty. I think we're on the same page.

Edited by Insaniac
  • Like 2

People are so disconnected from each other. Total lack of empathy exhibited here. None of these people could -- or even tried to -- put themselves in his shoes, or his mother's, wife's, friend's, child's shoes.

They stood there and watched a man die because they couldn't see him as a person. He was "news" not one of them. His death was "an event," not pain and fear and a desperate struggle of someone they cared about, or could care about.

This is disgusting. Sickening.

And instead of throwing up our hands in despair and hating the human race, we should all strive to love it more, to take the time to see the people rushing past as just like us in some way... at least enough to extend a hand to someone in such basic need.

The photographer should be blacklisted, but he'll probably make money on it instead.

• Like 4

This photographer is either a liar or a moron...

Probably both. How is a camera's flash supposed to catch the attention of the driver? He claims he was not trying to photograph anything at all, right...and then he sold the pictures. ( or "licensed" them in his words) I can't believe anyone would actually believe that.

Whether or not he was the closest person to the guy or not, he should have tried to help. Everyone should have. Selling and printing the photos of someone's last moments alive is disgusting and cruel.

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 1

My main problems with the photographer were (first) taking the picture, then SELLING the picture to make money... and now of course lying about the whole thing... The paper is just as contemptable to me...

My contempt for the other people there is just as strong - except they didn't make money off of this man's death...

Reminds me of lines from the Gordon Lightfoot Song "Cold Hands From New York"

"I heard a young musician play in a place

Where they paid you not to listen

I heard a woman scream for help while men stood by

And offered their best wishes

That's how it is

It was too unreal for me

I found no one who trusted me

There was no man could offer me

A cold hand from New York

Cold hands from New York

A voice within you cries, "Won't someone please help me

I'll do the same for you one day

If you should ever pass my way and need me"

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

My main problems with the photographer were (first) taking the picture, then SELLING the picture to make money... and now of course lying about the whole thing... The paper is just as contemptable to me...

My contempt for the other people there is just as strong - except they didn't make money off of this man's death...

Reminds me of lines from the Gordon Lightfoot Song "Cold Hands From New York"

"I heard a young musician play in a place

Where they paid you not to listen

I heard a woman scream for help while men stood by

And offered their best wishes

That's how it is

It was too unreal for me

I found no one who trusted me

There was no man could offer me

A cold hand from New York

Cold hands from New York

A voice within you cries, "Won't someone please help me

I'll do the same for you one day

If you should ever pass my way and need me"

Indeed. Also, Phil Collins "Another Day In Paradise."

Reminds me of the bloke who took a picture of African child dying, rather than saving it: http://serendip.bryn...ange/node/10276

That photographer later took his own life out of guilt, or so I'm lead to believe.

It is beyond me how anyone could stand by and not at least TRY to help...

Sadly though, that child was probably beyond any help the photographer could have given - but a human would at least have TRIED...

• Like 2

I can only get the gist of what happened from people's comments, won't read the article because I might just scream. I simply cannot believe that a man died in a crowd of onlookers who had a whole minute to hoist him up onto the platform and out of harms way. Then, I thought about the shock factor and the fear some might have that instead of pulling him up they too might fall onto the tracks in the attempt, people can behave like deer in the head lights sometimes.

This "photographer" however, wasn't in that state. He was quite lucid and clear about taking a photo of the event when he could have been acting to save a life instead. Total scum.

• Like 2

If I wasn't able to pull the man to safety by myself I would have been screaming my head off for someone to come and help me. I don't know if I could live with myself for not at least trying.

• Like 6

If it had of been me I would have screamed at the last minute.,. "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE".

• Like 1

What a dirt bag , I know if I was in the same situation I would do my best to help , there is no better feeling that being able to help someone in trouble and personally I think if you are un-willing help someone who is in trouble , well ....you just suck !

TiP.

• Like 2