Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TV channel fined over Simpsons 'blasphemy'

Still Waters

Turkey's TV watchdog has fined a TV channel for airing an episode of hit US animation The Simpsons which shows God taking orders from the devil.

The Supreme Board of Radio and Television (RTUK) said CNBC-e insulted religious values by "mocking God" and has been fined 53,000 lira (£18,427).

It said the episode also showed copies of the Bible being burnt and encouraged young people to consume alcohol.

CNBC-e has aired The Simpsons in Turkey for almost a decade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-20598262

• Like 1

That's it! I declare a fatwah on Matt Groening!

Oh wait. Never mind, I think the Simpsons are funny.

So how is insulting religious believers any better than insulting someone because of the nation they were born in, what language they speak, what accent they have, or what race or ethnic group they belong to?

It is all bullying. Bullying is either wrong or it is not.

To encourage one type is to encourage all of it.

• Like 1

A joke is a joke. People nowadays are either way too sensitive or are looking for reasons to be insulted. When it's actual hate speak, then I'll worry.

• Like 2

i remember that episode

So how is insulting religious believers any better than insulting someone because of the nation they were born in, what language they speak, what accent they have, or what race or ethnic group they belong to?

It is all bullying. Bullying is either wrong or it is not.

To encourage one type is to encourage all of it.

God and the devil really don't mind.

A joke is a joke. People nowadays are either way too sensitive or are looking for reasons to be insulted. When it's actual hate speak, then I'll worry.

There is a huge difference between laughing at a fictional character like Mr. Bean who could be part of any group of people and ridiculing an entire demographic of people.

There is a huge difference between laughing at a fictional character like Mr. Bean who could be part of any group of people and ridiculing an entire demographic of people.

Ones man's joke is another man's insult. The difference is the connotation behind it. Do you think the writers of the Simpsons sat down, pen in hand and thought 'how can I insult someone today?' Or perhaps they thought 'what's a funny joke that has to do with this episode, what this episode is about and is pretty chuckle worthy'. Then maybe they were all 'we also want them to know we hate them -troll face-'.

The more people who believe in the fictional character increases the chances of ridicule. And I'm fine with that.

The joys of theocracy. I see it as a free speech issue. Blasphemy laws limit freedom to be critical of an idea that may or may not be good for society. I am use to people being critical of my religion. Most of the time the law only protects the official state religion. I bet the blasphemy laws in Turkey don't apply non Abrahamic religions. I would have to look them up, though.