Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teaching dogs how to drive!

Still Waters

They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but now it seems that you can show them how to drive.

An animal welfare group in New Zealand has trained three dogs to get behind the wheel in an attempt to show the public how intelligent they are.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals will put them to the test in a live broadcast next Monday.

http://www.dailymail...-drive-car.html

• Like 3

Sooooo very glad I don't live in NZ. LOL People drivers are bad enough. The dogs may be smart but that doesn't mean they are good drivers. :P

• Like 1

Sooooo very glad I don't live in NZ. LOL People drivers are bad enough. The dogs may be smart but that doesn't mean they are good drivers. :P

Makes me think of the animated movie UP!

The dogs in that movie were easily distracted :) all you had to do was shout: SQUIRREL!! :w00t:

• Like 2

This world really has gone to the dogs.LaughingHyeinas.gif

• Like 1

This could be handy ,If I end up p***ed somewhere with no way to get the car home , simple , get the dog to drive home ! - providing of course he hasn't been drinking also :clap:

TiP.

This world really has gone to the dogs.LaughingHyeinas.gif

The whole thing is cute, but the world has gone to the dogs if people need to have it proved that animals are intelligent beings too! I like seeing the things they do when they are not trained. I have to use the window locks because my dog learned to do that on his own and another dog likes to try to shift gears if I stop the car. No training just observation and being spoiled LOL

He's worked with everything from pukeko, to deer, and has even trained rats. His current assignment involves dogs. It sounds simple until you hear what he's going to get them to do. He says, "No animal has ever driven before."

Yes, mark and his team are going to teach three dogs how to drive a car. But first things first, the future dog drivers have to be chosen from a seven strong short list of candidates."

Video at source:

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/watercooler/237286/70/Must-See-New-Zealand-SPCA-teaching-dogs-how-to-drive

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I can't even teach my dog to not choke himself to death on the leash without losing my temper.

• Like 2

Maybe he is teaching them to drive solely for the purpose of getting more of whatever he smoked when he thought of the idea.

If he is successful though it would be pretty damn awesome.

• Like 1

This is all over the news here.

Half are amazed ,half are screaming animal cruelty .

I don't think its cruel . Dogs are trained for much harsher tasks ,and I think this will prove some interesting things.

I hope they all pass the driver's test .

• Like 1

My husband is absolutely convinced that this is a hoax; I don't think my little dog's legs would reach the pedals though.

I've got a lot of admiration for dogs but this is plainly wrong.

Driving a car is not just about steering the thing with a wheel.

I know it's some kind of promotional stunt but how is the dog going to do a "theory" test.

I would get those dogs away from those ramshackle contractions.

I bet the dogs are thinking "out of the frying pan and into the fire".

If this promotional stunt is going to work it's better to pose them in a go-kart.

Something less likely to fall apart at the seams.

Edited by Walnut Whip

(looking over to my right @ my rednose pit) lmao yeah him drive? he's so damn lazy now he walks around flops and snores

• Like 1

This goes way beyond moronic.

Driving involves paying attention to so much detail and dogs simply cannot handle that plus you have to be able to judge distance, speed and so forth.

I am beginning to suspect this is a hoax however. Who is going to trust a dog to safely drive a 1000+ pound hunk of metal around?

LOL! I love those pics oh the dogs sitting with their paws on the steering wheel and gear shift. That would certainly make me do a double take if I saw that on the road.

• Like 1

If I taught my dog to do that, I would never seen the van again. She would be out cruising the highway. I bet she would be a better driver than the tourist are.

• Like 2

In some Middle Eastern countries, women are not allowed to drive from the fear that it will further enable them to "cheat", however, dogs are now being taught to drive. Seeing the irony here? lol

I know NZ is not a ME country, but still, that's just funny. I'd have a wtf moment if I saw a dog driving a car.

Edited by WoIverine

Whats next, teaching them to play pool and drink a pint?

The ultimate would be to teach them how to use a toilet.

• Like 2

I'd have a wtf moment if I saw a dog driving a car.

Visit Germany, they have one running the country. :)

Whats next, teaching them to play pool and drink a pint?

That would be like life imitating art!

Edited by Walnut Whip
  • Like 1

This goes way beyond moronic.

Driving involves paying attention to so much detail and dogs simply cannot handle that plus you have to be able to judge distance, speed and so forth.

I am beginning to suspect this is a hoax however. Who is going to trust a dog to safely drive a 1000+ pound hunk of metal around?

No,its not a hoax. It's not to train them to actually go be chauffeurs. It's more to see if an animal with this level of intelligence and dexterity

,could master the commands .

It was on the news here ,and they trained them for x amount of time ,and then they intend to do a test ,to see what they retained from the training,and if the can do it on their own ,for a short period of time .