Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How many alien civilizations are there ?

Saru

Considering the vastness of the universe there are probably many. Considering the relatively small "neighborhood" we are in I would guess we are the only ones nearby. Even if there are other intelligent species in our galaxy there would be little reason to visit our planet revolving around a small star. Until recently there would have been no way to detect any intelligence upon our small blue world.

Life may be much more common than we believe currently but intelligent life is a whole different story.

• Like 1

This whole idea is fairly silly really, isn't it, since it's all once great enormous assumption built on a whole string of steadily bigger assumptions. It does seem strange that people who usually set so much importance by what can be scientifically validated seem to accept it, though, even though not one of the assumptions in it can be validated at all. I wonder if one factor behind this might not be that they can use it to come to a conclusion that alien civilisations are very, very few, or perhaps do not exist at all. In fact, it might of course all be irrelevant, since we're finding out more and more about our very own Solar system, and what we're finding out is how little we really know about it. Who knows, worrying about what may exist among the stars might be irrelevant for our purposes. Who can say. :w00t:

aliens_4.jpg

CAREFUL!! THEY BITE!!

Edited by taniwha
  • Like 1

And your reasons are? Gut feeling? You may want to share your "reasons" with SETI guys, so they could point their "eyes/ears" in the right direction.

PS where is the nearest civilization located? And BTW, what do you mean by the neighborhood? 10 light years? 1000 light years? 10000 light years?

come on bmk you know the reasons...havent you followed mcG for a while now to know its not based on gut or even interpretation (at least not by McG)....

as for the neighbourhood question.....curious as to the difference it would make...i.e 1000 LY versus 10000 LY? :santa:

• Like 2

500 light years.

[...]

And how you come up with this number?

[...]

Which SETI guys do you mean, anyway? The public version of it is being run by clowns.

[...]

Because they do not say "We've got visitors", huh?

come on bmk you know the reasons...havent you followed mcG for a while now to know its not based on gut or even interpretation (at least not by McG)....

[...]

Ah, yeah, on anecdotal evidence, fairy tales...

[...]

as for the neighbourhood question.....curious as to the difference it would make...i.e 1000 LY versus 10000 LY? :santa:

I'd say huge without FTL.

and photos.......all in all certainly not a 'gut feeling' :santa:

ok let me re-phrase...do you think it far more likely we 'could' be visited by a planet 1000 LY away as opposed to 10000 LY away? I personally think that the difference in distance at least from 1000-10000 is negligable in the grand scheme of things.....we or they can either travel the stars in good time or not, whether the car journey is 100miles or 200 miles matters little.

• Like 2

surely even with FTL, the difference is fairly academic from most people's point of view, whether it's 1000 light years or 10000.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone can calculate the exact number.

And how you come up with this number?

Because they do not say "We've got visitors", huh?

They don't say much of anything that's worth listening to, but you don't even know what I'm talking about--or at least you pretend not to.

Some people think the true number of civilizations in the universe is 100 million million, which is higher than I can even comprehend.

I wouldn't hold my breath about receiving signals from them, though, since the military would very likely jam them of they thought anyone was listening in without authorization.

• Like 1

Well since we live in a infinite universe.. we cannot really even guess at how many alien civilizations there are..

even if we say there is only 1 civilization per galaxy .. that would give us at least a billion civilizations.. and we are finding new galaxies every year..

considering 50 years ago.. all we had was the milky way.. now we know there are a lot more then just the milky way..

how many more will we discover in 50 years time?

• Like 1

Considering we've yet to find any life beyond Earth, I'd say it's all just guesswork at his time. Everyone's opinion is as good as the next persons at this point...please keep that in mind and be respectful of the opinions of others.

• Like 1

[....\]

ok let me re-phrase...do you think it far more likely we 'could' be visited by a planet 1000 LY away as opposed to 10000 LY away? I personally think that the difference in distance at least from 1000-10000 is negligable in the grand scheme of things.....we or they can either travel the stars in good time or not, whether the car journey is 100miles or 200 miles matters little.

Yeap. I think you don't realize how far 1 LY is, not to mention 1000, or 10000 Lys.

Yeap. I think you don't realize how far 1 LY is, not to mention 1000, or 10000 Lys.

isn't that what he's saying, that a Light year is so far that it doesn't really matter whether something's 1000 or 10000, as, even with Faster than light travel, it's all academic anywayy? If we could find a way to travel at nearly light speed, 1 light year might be feasible, but 1000 would still be impossibly far.

isn't that what he's saying, that a Light year is so far that it doesn't really matter whether something's 1000 or 10000, as, even with Faster than light travel, it's all academic anywayy? If we could find a way to travel at nearly light speed, 1 light year might be feasible, but 1000 would still be impossibly far.

Well, none so far.

But 10000, then, would be more impossibly farther.

infinite possibility's given their is no end to the universe.

That's a very sensible answer! & there could be more than one universe!!

Have fun with this.

universo.jpg

procyon.gif

I do like the top picture! ... but what does it mean?