Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How many alien civilizations are there ?

Saru

I wouldn't hold my breath about receiving signals from them, though, since the military would very likely jam them of they thought anyone was listening in without authorization.

And how exactly would the military accomplish that rather fantastic feat, I dare ask?

Cheers,

Badeskov

as for the neighbourhood question.....curious as to the difference it would make...i.e 1000 LY versus 10000 LY? :santa:

Quite a bit, actually, I would think. First of all, there are a lot more stars within a 10000 LY range than within a 1000 LY range. Secondly, as you mention in another post is the actual travel. I don't know about that one. I think it depends on the technology whether 10000 LY is the same as 1000 LY. But another matter would be the chances of actually finding us.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Quite a bit, actually, I would think. First of all, there are a lot more stars within a 10000 LY range than within a 1000 LY range. Secondly, as you mention in another post is the actual travel. I don't know about that one. I think it depends on the technology whether 10000 LY is the same as 1000 LY. But another matter would be the chances of actually finding us.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Finding us and even Looking for us is the real question. My money is on the possibility that We will be the ones that some day find that Alien civilization . After all If we dont that old saying "Its a big waist of space" if theres not sumptin out there. But what if ? :tsu:

But 10000, then, would be more impossibly farther.

like 1000 wouldn't be? That's the point; it doesn't matter if we could only go at the speed of Light, would it?

The universe is just teeming with life, quadrillion galaxies, and even universes.... what dumb %$##* would think that we are alone.... oh yeah I get it... the flat earth society !!

Considering we've yet to find any life beyond Earth, I'd say it's all just guesswork at his time.

If one subscribes to panspermia, it would almost have to. OTOH, we have yet to find intelligent life here. ;)

• Like 2

If one subscribes to panspermia, it would almost have to. OTOH, we have yet to find intelligent life here. ;)

That's a theory i find fascinating. When you think they've just discovered ice and organic stuff* on Mercury, of all places, that must have been brought by comets or Meteors, then that would support the argument that there may be stuff being shuffled about all over the universe.

* that's the technical term

• Like 2

That's a theory i find fascinating. When you think they've just discovered ice and organic stuff* on Mercury, of all places, that must have been brought by comets or Meteors, then that would support the argument that there may be stuff being shuffled about all over the universe.

Perzactly. While it makes Earth a little less unique, it can also support organics found in meteorites. Mercury is bonus. It will be interesting to learn what they find on the moons around the gas giants.

* that's the technical term

It was also one of Carl Sagan's favorite descriptive words.

DRAGONWORMS

These creatures are largely subterranean and have been reported on very rare occasions. Although a mutation of the serpent race which lost the use of it's limbs through centuries of atrophication, it is nevertheless apparently a part of the reptilian 'conspiracy'. The 'Dragonworms' are reportedly very intelligent, according so certain sources. 'They' have sometimes been described as appearing similar to a giant reptilian 'worm' or 'slug'.

http://www.burlingtonnews.net/secretsufo.html

One ! Us !

We're an alien race here? How cool is that! :tsu:

Edited to correct a typo

Edited by Kludge808

Well when I think about the universe is expanding faster and its speeding up at a certain pace, It makes me think that even with FTL travel we would never even run into some life because we just couldnt catch them. That goes both ways even life thats out there looking might never see us.

I also dont see any reason that they cant be just coming in from a different dimension, Instead of traveling the long distances

We're an alien race here? How cool is that! :tsu:

Edited to correct a typo

Absolutely Were Always going to be Alien to any other race thru out time we ever come across ! Therefore We Are A Alien Race ourselfs ! :alien::tsu:

• Like 1

How do you jam any frequencies? That's not hard.

Since that would have to be accomplished world wide, yes it is. You didnt think that one through, I believe.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Klatu did it ! "Gork Nickto Brando " :alien::tu:

I thought it was "Grok Nickto Brando" ... ;-)

• Like 1

ok let me re-phrase...do you think it far more likely we 'could' be visited by a planet 1000 LY away as opposed to 10000 LY away? I personally think that the difference in distance at least from 1000-10000 is negligable in the grand scheme of things.....we or they can either travel the stars in good time or not, whether the car journey is 100miles or 200 miles matters little.

Nah, mate, these distances are not "Blocks" they are light years. Difference between 100 light years and 200 light years? 9,461,000,000,000 km or 5,878,000,000,000 miles is the distance covered in one light year. That is even going to make quite an impact on FTL, and render most of space as unreachable. Some things will be achievable, some not, but we have to get the technology up and running first off.

surely even with FTL, the difference is fairly academic from most people's point of view, whether it's 1000 light years or 10000.

Maybe if you are talking wormhole or some other claim but it would have a marked impact on physical travel, as we know it. Without imagination, it is a noticeable difference I would say.

Unless 84001 ir re-evaluated yet again with yet another conclusion. Maybe we can blame it for the ETH'ers LOL.

How the heck ya been mate! Hows the health, and is that daughter still doing an excellent job of keeping you in line!

Maybe if you are talking wormhole or some other claim but it would have a marked impact on physical travel, as we know it. Without imagination, it is a noticeable difference I would say.

Would it, though? Surely it'd be academic if one got in a spaceship to travel to a star 1000 light years away , or sent a message there hoping to get a reply, as to whether you sent one 10,000 l.y. From the point of view of anyone hoping to get a reply, it really wouldn't make any difference at all would it.

• Like 1