Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Catfish strands itself to kill pigeons

Still Waters

In Southwestern France, a group of fish have learned how to kill birds.

As the River Tarn winds through the city of Albi, it contains a small gravel island where pigeons gather to clean and bathe. And patrolling the island are European catfish—1 to 1.5 metres long, and the largest freshwater fish on the continent. These particular catfish have taken to lunging out of the water, grabbing a pigeon, and then wriggling back into the water to swallow their prey. In the process, they temporarily strand themselves on land for a few seconds.

http://blogs.discove...ns#.UMCcOaxqOH2

I would NOT want to meet those catfish in a dark alley. :unsure2:That's crazy!!

"The European catfish is an alien, introduced into the Tarn in 1983, and currently flourishing there."

These kinds of unnatural "introductions" hardly ever end well, for the introduced species, other species and humans.

Just knock it off.

• Like 1

Just knock it off.

No one likes to be told what to do, unfortunately. Or fortunately. Depending on your point of view.

The fish was introduced there, but the fishes natural range does include France, Germany, Italy, and Spain.

I wonder if the fish will start to develop stronger fins over generations and the ability to stay out of water longer and longer?? Evolution in action?

Edited by DieChecker

In India they should be called maneater-fish in some cases, or at least corpse-eater-fish as they stay down-stream of river funerals feasting on the remains that floats down the river. A rather repulsive fish really. Like a river garbage-truck.

I wonder why the pigeons aren't more aware when the fish comes closer to the shore,and now have a fear of them ....

I guess fish dont register as danger.

I liked when the pigeons got awa

It seems unnatural for a fish to be eating a bird.It's almost like revenge for all the birds that have eaten them .

Google "Wels Catfish" images. Some of these suckers get tremendously large. Wiki says it is the 4th largest freshwater fish in the world.

Record-Wels-Catfish-Head-shot.jpg

Edited by DieChecker