Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Electronic cigarettes challenge anti-smoking

Still Waters

Brother and his girlfriend, both faifly heavy smokers since the 80's bought some of these about a year ago and quit like that *snaps fingers

Quit wht??? They still take nicotine and still "smoke". I along with five other people I know who were long-term hard.core smokers read a book and stopped like that *snaps fingers (but really stopped)

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227287&hl=

These devices keep you hooked both physically and psychologically as you are still getting your nic fix AND still engaging in the ritual of "smoking". Remember "popeye" cigarettes?

You need to do more research before spouting such opinionated innacuracies

Quit wht??? They still take nicotine and still "smoke". I along with five other people I know who were long-term hard.core smokers read a book and stopped like that *snaps fingers (but really stopped)

http://www.unexplain...opic=227287&hl=

Read my above. They use nicoteen. nicoteen is optional. More research you need.

These devices keep you hooked both physically and psychologically as you are still getting your nic fix AND still engaging in the ritual of "smoking". Remember "popeye" cigarettes?

are you suggesting the physical act of intaking nicotine is wrong? is this where the nonsmoking bias is headed now?

• Like 1

are you suggesting the physical act of intaking nicotine is wrong? is this where the nonsmoking bias is headed now?

I agree. This message is coming across loud and clear. It's strange but, the way I see it, if you can make smoking (or an analogue of smoking) significantly less harmful then why shouldn't this be marketed as any other product. After all there doesn't seem to be the same objection to fast food outlets and sugar loaded food advertising.

• Like 3

Like Mr_Fes- said above, if they are marketing them as a new product to try then you are really just setting people up to eventually smoke.

Very few people object to government regulation of cigarettes. The harm they cause is clearly evidenced and not controversial. So, if there is a safer way of delivering nicotine then there's nothing stopping authorities from hiking the tax on cigarettes to unaffordable levels or making the manufacture and import of cigarettes illegal.

As an analogy, consider if you had a choice of taking your caffeine in a cup with milk and water, or with arsenic and strychnine. It's a bit of a no-brainer really isn't it?

Read my above. They use nicoteen. nicoteen is optional. More research you need.

Guilty as charged. I know almost nothing about these. I thought they were just an alternative way to get your nic fix

No. Feel free to smoke wear a patch and chew nic gum at the same time. If it doesn´t effect anytone else, that is your choice

Very few people object to government regulation of cigarettes. The harm they cause is clearly evidenced and not controversial. So, if there is a safer way of delivering nicotine then there's nothing stopping authorities from hiking the tax on cigarettes to unaffordable levels or making the manufacture and import of cigarettes illegal.

As an analogy, consider if you had a choice of taking your caffeine in a cup with milk and water, or with arsenic and strychnine. It's a bit of a no-brainer really isn't it?

I´m all for harm reduction. The analogy that came eo my mind was methadone and heroin. I know a lot of people who move back and forth between the two. Or spend years "weening" themselves off of meth. I suspect the same will happen with the e-cigs. Time will tell.

These devices keep you hooked both physically and psychologically as you are still getting your nic fix AND still engaging in the ritual of "smoking".

In a way, as even with an ecig you go through the motions of smoking a normal cigarette, but that's how they're supposed to work. The smoker can still 'smoke' until eventually the need to has gone. Not all ecigs have nicotine in them either, you can get a variety of refills for them including herbal and even things like chocolate flavoured.

I'm a non-smoker, always have been. We have a smoke-free home because members of my family have asthma. A friend of ours came over on holiday this summer and he used to be a heavy smoker, he'd tried everything to give up cigarettes until he started on the ecigs. He smoked them in our house and in our car with no ill effects to anyone, they don't give off smoke they give off vapour. Half the time we didn't even notice he was smoking.

• Like 1

In a way, as even with an ecig you go through the motions of smoking a normal cigarette, but that's how they're supposed to work. The smoker can still 'smoke' until eventually the need to has gone. Not all ecigs have nicotine in them either, you can get a variety of refills for them including herbal and even things like chocolate flavoured.

I'm a non-smoker, always have been. We have a smoke-free home because members of my family have asthma. A friend of ours came over on holiday this summer and he used to be a heavy smoker, he'd tried everything to give up cigarettes until he started on the ecigs. He smoked them in our house and in our car with no ill effects to anyone, they don't give off smoke they give off vapour. Half the time we didn't even notice he was smoking.

How does this happen?? If I smoke an ecig rather than a real one, how does the need to smoke disappear?

Edited by jugoso

Yes but the tobacco only fund the anti-smoking ads because it was part of the settlement for the huge tobacco lawsuits a few years back. Unfortunately that was back when more people smoked, so there was more money for teh anti-smoking campaigners to extort. Now that the number of smokers is actually dropping, the well is starting to dry up, so the campaigners have to take their anti-business in a different direction if they want to stay anti-competitive. The campaigners don't actually want you to quit smoking, they just want you to feel miserable and guilty about it.

It has nothing to do with the ads .They own part of nicorette ,and they were behind the creation of nicorette as a gum .

If people buy the electronic cigarette instead of using a nicroette like patch or gum,they make no money at all.

So they're either going to fight it ,or find a way to make money with them .

I have asthma,and I thought of actually getting one ,because its almost like inhaling a nebulized saline ,which is good for your lungs,if they feel tight .

How does this happen?? If I smoke an ecig rather than a real one, how does the need to smoke disappear?

because the cartridge in them has nicotine in it and when you draw off it you get some of that nicotine, just like you were smoking tobaccco but you aren't smoking anything.

there are different strength cartridges too so you can slowly lower the intake of nicotine if you want to quit altogether, and as someone else mentioned you can get cartridges that have no nicotine at all

• Like 1

Not speaking for jugoso but my point was that if this is being marketed to anybody other than smokers then that's not right. The world doesn't need another way to get hooked on nicotine. I'm a capitalist and if it's legal to sell then by all means sell away. That doesn't mean I have to support their sales philosophy or the company though, only their right to do so. That said, you won't see me up in arms about it though. I'm an avid smoker just giving an opinion.
  • Like 1

I WANT ONE ! I REALLY WANT ONE. I quit smoking a year ago and I miss it so bad, not the smell though or the nicotine.

It's the act of smoking that I miss the most, I smoked for 20yrs and my hands feel alien to me without a ciggie in them.

I was not only addicted to smoking but also the ritual. Crazy I know, but I REALLY WANT ONE. The brown one as it looks the coolest.

• Like 1

because the cartridge in them has nicotine in it and when you draw off it you get some of that nicotine, just like you were smoking tobaccco but you aren't smoking anything.

there are different strength cartridges too so you can slowly lower the intake of nicotine if you want to quit altogether, and as someone else mentioned you can get cartridges that have no nicotine at all

So are you suggesting that the only reason people smoke is because of phtsical nicotine addiction?

YUP! s33ker . I feel exactly the same way. I smoked forever.. then quit for a year.. now smoke a little again! It's a powerful physical addiction (to Nicotine) AND psychological addiction (to the act). I can see how the E ciggies might be helpful. I don't think they should be advertised... some might come away with the idea that nicotine addiction is ok. Wrong.

• Like 1

Because, GASP, there's reduced health risks. It gets under their skin that smoking, which has been an anathema in most social circles in recent years, is now making a public come back as something people can enjoy without the numerous health risks. I'll agree that 'e-cigs' probably still aren't that safe, but I'm sure they're safer then the cancer sticks I smoke.

The thing is, that if someone wants to smoke, no power in this world could make him quit!

Don't really see how anti-smoker campaigners have to turn this into a negative, why they are being given a golden opportunity to start utilizing this in -quitting smoking step by step -campaigns.

Agreed there are still tricky things about some e-cigerattes, which is why it's hard to pass FDA. (Some electronic deviced cause hypoxic effects, and some fluids used or of doubtful quality). But it is a good step towards the right direction, and instead of comdemning it again right away they should praise ppl looking into altevernatives. On their way to quitting completely.

E-cigs have the benefit of being able to choose your dosing of nicotine (heave, medium, light, until you're ready to order no-nictotine refills). Thanks to this, the body can slowly reboot itself and start producing it's own chemical again which nicotine replaces (which is why it's so addictive and difficult to quit, and why it's best for heavy smokers to do it step by step. Since nicotine replaces a chemical in the body that is almost the same).

So are you suggesting that the only reason people smoke is because of phtsical nicotine addiction?

i wasn't suggesting anything actually. you asked how the need to smoke disappears when someone 'smokes' an ecig.

i merely explained that.

• Like 1

Not speaking for jugoso but my point was that if this is being marketed to anybody other than smokers then that's not right. The world doesn't need another way to get hooked on nicotine. .

Why? They target alcohol to people who aren't drunks, they target caffiene to people who aren't tired. I see this as no different.

• Like 2

Why? They target alcohol to people who aren't drunks, they target caffiene to people who aren't tired. I see this as no different.

Just the opinion of a consumer here. I really don't care. They can target who they want. I just get a silly image in my head about people picking up an e-smoke habit if they had never been a smoker before. I don't care though. Ain't my business.

Just the opinion of a consumer here. I really don't care. They can target who they want. I just get a silly image in my head about people picking up an e-smoke habit if they had never been a smoker before. I don't care though. Ain't my business.

i can't see it appealing to those who have never smoked tobacco.

• Like 1

i can't see it appealing to those who have never smoked tobacco.

I know. That's why it seems to e that agreeing anyone but smokers is stupid. Honestly, I have no idea if they even are though. I'm not sure how this even came about but it did and that's my opinion on it

I know. That's why it seems to e that agreeing anyone but smokers is stupid. Honestly, I have no idea if they even are though. I'm not sure how this even came about but it did and that's my opinion on it

i think they just put it out there and don't really care if they target the nonsmokers with the smokers. there's no morality involved in the addiction business unfortunately

• Like 2