Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Congress bans word 'lunatic'

Still Waters

The sharply divided US Congress has been able to agree on one thing at least - that the world "lunatic" should be banned.

The House of Representatives voted 398-1 on Wednesday to strike the term from all federal legislation, after the Senate did the same in May.

The measure is designed to remove language that has become outdated or demeaning from the US code.

The bill will now go to President Barack Obama for his signature.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20628988

So what do they call themselves now then?

• Like 7

:tu:

I think they either can't spell it or are tired of hearing it yelled at them.

Nibs

• Like 3

They'll just have to find another word suitable for them :P
  • Like 1

Well that's no fun. ):

May I be blunt ?

Are they ******* kidding ? What's a bunch of utter ******* *******s.

I cannot even fathom how congress has anything to do with a word in the dictionary .

Would their witty bitty feelings get hurt ,if someone said,you people are lunatics ?

And if its BANNED ,can we now go to jail if we dare utter it,or type it .

Will idiot secret service men show up on my door if I LUNATIC LUNATIC LUNATIC .

Unbelievable .

This country is run by ******* MORONS .I certainly hope MORONS ,remains in the dictionary .

• Like 2

They'll just have to find another word suitable for them :P

I have a few suggestions.....(in a few different languages too!)

• Like 4

May I be blunt ?

Are they ******* kidding ? What's a bunch of utter ******* *******s.

I cannot even fathom how congress has anything to do with a word in the dictionary .

Would their witty bitty feelings get hurt ,if someone said,you people are lunatics ?

And if its BANNED ,can we now go to jail if we dare utter it,or type it .

Will idiot secret service men show up on my door if I LUNATIC LUNATIC LUNATIC .

Unbelievable .

This country is run by ******* MORONS .I certainly hope MORONS ,remains in the dictionary .

Perhaps you should calm down and read carefully before you blow a gasket. I know it's easier to just read what you want into things, but it's really better to read. In the part Still Waters quoted, it clearly states the word is being banned from federal legislation. I don't see anything wrong with this action as it is well and truly an outdated term. After all, asylums are no longer in existence and I daresay most of us think of one when we think of the other.

Personally, I've never associated the word lunatic with members of Congress. Childish... juvenile... and other words that would get starred out on this forum are words I use to describe those people.

• Like 2

Perhaps you should calm down and read carefully before you blow a gasket. I know it's easier to just read what you want into things, but it's really better to read. In the part Still Waters quoted, it clearly states the word is being banned from federal legislation. I don't see anything wrong with this action as it is well and truly an outdated term. After all, asylums are no longer in existence and I daresay most of us think of one when we think of the other.

Personally, I've never associated the word lunatic with members of Congress. Childish... juvenile... and other words that would get starred out on this forum are words I use to describe those people.

It's still moronic ,that they have to sit and legislate ,using tax dollars ,on a WORD .

MORONS

• Like 2

Thank gosh, the US government is finally doing something... That no one really cares about nor does it actually do something but... they tried?

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

It's still moronic ,that they have to sit and legislate ,using tax dollars ,on a WORD .

MORONS

i agree. why not just stop using the word? how about make someone put a dollar in the pickle jar every time they accidently utter it?

• Like 2

I've described them as a bunch of shouting, screaming, feces flinging monkeys before.

Ha!!! That's funny. I realize this was with regards to federal terminolgy.

On a more serious note, I have noticed certain psychiatric disorder names having been changed to reflect both a more compassionate terminology stance with the patient, as well as recognizing advances in psychiatric care.

"Lunatic", "Moron" and "Idiot" were once very common terms years ago to describe certain patients.

Not sure, but I think the term "manic-depressive" has been replaced several years ago by "bi-polar disorder" for example.

And again, not sure, but I think the term "schizophrenia" has also been replaced in the lastest psych manual with the term "dissociative-disorder"

Edited by pallidin

Ha!!! That's funny. I realize this was with regards to federal terminolgy.

On a more serious note, I have noticed certain psychiatric disorder names having been changed to reflect both a more compassionate terminology stance with the patient, as well as recognizing advances in psychiatric care.

"Lunatic", "Moron" and "Idiot" were once very common terms years ago to describe certain patients.

Not sure, but I think the term "manic-depressive" has been replaced several years ago by "bi-polar disorder" for example.

yes manic depression is now referred to as bi polar disorder. i didn't think the term needed to be changed - it describes it well enough for anyone who has had experience with it - but we're in a world where people want to find offense in everything,

• Like 1

What if Obama doesn't sign it? Wouldn't that be lunical.

I know one thing they(dems & reps) could agree on, another pay raise for themselves. More lunicity because we'll let them!

"The House of Representatives voted 398-1 on Wednesday to strike the term from all federal legislation"

Sounds expensive to go back through every piece of Federal Legislation to remove the word "lunatic". The whole idea is probably on hold anyway because no one thought of what word would be used in it's place. ! :w00t: Crucial work however.. well done. :rolleyes: