Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the purse problem

Tr14n913

The someone else's purse  

27 members have voted

1. 1. what would you do when you find someone's purse you know?

• give it back to him/her
    • take all the money and give it back to him/her
    • purse? what purse?( keep it)
    • blackmailing
    • let it be and not interact with it

just came to think about a old one and curious about the choices what people would make

I lost my wallet once and someone, whoever found it, actually took the time to mail back to me. I don't remember if it had any cash in it or not but I was so thankful that a honest person had been the one to find it. Without a doubt if i ever found someone's wallet/purse I would return it to them.

• Like 1

Would anyone here honestly be dishonest?

If that person were already dishonest - would they answer your question honestly? ;)

• Like 1

i have done this twice (both times were wallets however)

i have also had my purse returned to me with hundreds of dollars still in it.

there are a lot more 'honest' people around than we give credit for

• Like 1

I had my wallet returned to me once, fully intact. I have always remembered how it made me feel and have always hoped for the chance to pay it forward.

• Like 1

I've found a few in my time and never kept them, always handed them in.

Money on the other hand is free game (although at work if I find notes I'll send out an email to give someone a chance to claim it, although I don't know if they are lying...)

I found a girls wallet in a busy eating area in the city (Melbourne, Australia). There was no money in the wallet so I'm not sure if someone got a hold of it before me. But I took it home, checked her ID, searched it up on the white pages and called the home phone. Her dad came to recover it and offered me money in which I kindly refused. He was very grateful as anyone can imagine.

The sad thing is, even with people who are still capable of keeping themselves financially afloat would have tried to use her bank card and sell her ID as a fake ID.

I always give it back, if there is money in it that too just because I know how it feels both ways. You ever lose your wallet and you get it back with everything in it is an awesome feeling. Bonus if you offer to pay and they don't take it. Doesn't hurt to have a little faith in humanity nor does it hurt to show people that some people are not complete and utter scumbags.

I would give it back even if I didn't know the person....now if it was a duffle bag full of money...... :whistle: LOL. Actually, I would be too scared to keep something like that, woudl probably have a drug dealer after you.

• Like 1

I"ve found a number of purses and wallets and have always returned them fully in tact. There's never been a moment of considering doing anything else.

it is nice to see that there is still some faith in humanity left but would everyone be truly honest?

that is the question.....

it is nice to see that there is still some faith in humanity left but would everyone be truly honest?

that is the question.....

there are obviously those who would keep what they found, just as there are those who wouldn't wait to find it - they'll go right to your house and take it lol

all in all though i think a great many people would want to return the purse or wallet because they know how they would feel if it happened to them

I would give it back even if I didn't know the person....now if it was a duffle bag full of money...... :whistle: LOL. Actually, I would be too scared to keep something like that, woudl probably have a drug dealer after you.

yeah no kidding!

or worse - what if you inadvertently took a ransom drop and now the poor victim isn't going to get freed??

Edited by JGirl

This was an interesting topic considering the week I had. I lost my wallet and keep hoping someone honest has somehow found it and it will make it's way back to me. I've been fortunate enough to have someone actually mail my wallet back to me years ago when it had fallen out of my bag in a busy downtown area. I have never forgotten that. I never think twice about trying to return a wallet to its rightful owner. While I was at the bank yesterday getting my replacement card, I noticed an older gentleman by the ATM machine who left behind his wallet and his bank card in the machine. Without hesitation I ran and grabbed them and chased the man in the parking lot to give them back to him.

• Like 1

I see no option for taking the money and tossing the rest in the rubbish bin, or is that only how stranger's purses are treated?

If It had money in it and you took the money but returned the wallet, whos to say you wouldnt get caught anyway. Although I guess if you take the money then you wouldnt bother with returning the wallet.

I would return it with everything intact. be a good citizen.

there are obviously those who would keep what they found, just as there are those who wouldn't wait to find it - they'll go right to your house and take it lol

all in all though i think a great many people would want to return the purse or wallet because they know how they would feel if it happened to them

yeah no kidding!

or worse - what if you inadvertently took a ransom drop and now the poor victim isn't going to get freed??

LMAO absolutely worse situation, But I mean if you really saw a duffle bag of money I wouldnt even touch it.

I have found 2 wallets ,first time I kept it as I was screwed up and into so many bad things but still it plagues me.

There was no money in it but a gold watch which I sold so I could get drugs, alcohol and gamble.15 yrs later I found

another in a grocery store carpark with $200 in it. Even though at that time in my life I was still living the same way

and broke, I went straight home and called the owner who came around with his wife, hugged me took all the cash

out and gave it to me, wouldn't take NO for an answer. Still to this day ,I regret keeping that wallet and will my whole life,

acouple of times I've had my purse stolen, car twice and home broke into ,which to me is karma for not doing the right thing.

I found a purse once. I'd just walked into a shop and there it was on the counter in front of the till. The shop was empty apart from me so I picked it up and handed it to the shop assistant who appeared from behind the scenes, it must have been left behind by a previous customer.

When I was little we had our house burgled and one of the things they stole was a little purse I had with some savings in it. I eventually got the purse back but it was empty. I was heartbroken at the time.