Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I want to be ........when i grow up

Overdueleaf

One often thinks when young, what they want to be when they are older.

Funny how the young mind can only think of concrete scenarios…I want to be a farmer… I want to be a firefighter… I want to be a football player. Maybe because we put too much pressure on them from a young age to make something good for themselves... maybe it is because other thoughts are just to abstract for the developing mind at that age. Maybe because we are too engrained from the beginning to think of what and who rather than being able to really describe who/the person we would really like to be. I bet that right now you are wondering what my point is… lol. My point is…it seems that young kids are typically brought up to believe that being something or having a career is far better and more important than anything else in life. When was the last time you heard a child say… I want to be honest …I want to be caring… I want to be selfless… I want to be hard-working... I want to have integrity...I want to be self sufficient… etc…etc…etc. Truth is I have never heard a child say this... and I have to wonder why not. Is it so bad to instill such virtues in our children… rather than say you should be a doctor… they make lots of money. What are we telling our children with that statement?

• Like 7

Shoot, I'm sixty now and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe in my next life.

• Like 3

I think some parents stress career more than values because they know how much it costs to live.

my parents stressed values... which is probably why i'm still poor ..lol.

anyway.. after cowboy and explorer... i remember wanting to be a barber for awhile as a kid. As much as i HATED getting my hair cut.. i was extremely impressed by the DOLLAR BILL which Dad gave the barber!

i wanted to be a " doctor " when i was young .. just because people expect me to be something :D

then i reliaze when am older i wanna be me .. works out fine it seems

If I asked a child, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and they answered, "I want to be honest and hard-working," I would wonder why they aren't already.

These aren't things to be when you grow up. They are things children should already be.

• Like 1

One often thinks when young, what they want to be when they are older.

Funny how the young mind can only think of concrete scenarios…I want to be a farmer… I want to be a firefighter… I want to be a football player. Maybe because we put too much pressure on them from a young age to make something good for themselves... maybe it is because other thoughts are just to abstract for the developing mind at that age. Maybe because we are too engrained from the beginning to think of what and who rather than being able to really describe who/the person we would really like to be. I bet that right now you are wondering what my point is… lol. My point is…it seems that young kids are typically brought up to believe that being something or having a career is far better and more important than anything else in life. When was the last time you heard a child say… I want to be honest …I want to be caring… I want to be selfless… I want to be hard-working... I want to have integrity...I want to be self sufficient… etc…etc…etc. Truth is I have never heard a child say this... and I have to wonder why not. Is it so bad to instill such virtues in our children… rather than say you should be a doctor… they make lots of money. What are we telling our children with that statement?

Beautiful. Rewarding. I struggle with not being able to do what I thought I would do. It is no longer an option. Well, maybe never say never. But I comfort myself with the ideas that I can be kind and loving and watch the world. That's me, like a southern woman drinking iced lemonade on the porch in Savannah, waving a fan, watching the beauty around me.

Kids will make their own minds up what they want to do and will more than likely change their minds several times over in the process. Pushing them into something of 'your' choosing is wrong and chances are if they do go along with it they'll give up on it anyway sooner or later. It's more important they find something they're happy with for themselves.