Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nurse who put Aussie prank call thru,dead

Simbi Laveau

I too find it very strange that she would kill herself over something as silly as this. I mean she had a family.

I'm not saying that there was anything more sinister going on, but as soon as I heard this I knew there would be a resulting conspiracy theory, without a doubt. The motive behind this one though would be massively weak. It would simply be killing the woman out of spite, for making a mistake. Though there are plenty of people out there capable of such a thing I really can't believe the royal family would ever waste their time on something as trivial as this.

I just read this and I feel very sad for this poor woman. :cry: I don't know what background she was from, but going by the name She doesn't sound like she is of English stock, I'm thinking some kind of Asian. In my experience foreign women are almost always conscientious, hard working, polite, and humble folk. for something like this to happen to her would absolutely mortify her. Come on, the Queen of your adopted country phones you up, and asks how her Daughter in Law is. Whats the protocol there?

With a name like Jacintha Saldanha my guess is that she was Brazilian.

Also, I can't believe that anyone fell for this prank. These two Aussie morons - one pretending to be the Queen and the other pretending to be Prince Charles - were useless at putting on British accents. They still sounded like Australians.

*Snip*

Jacintha Saldanha

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image

A terrible tragedy, my thoughts go out to her family. We may never know for sure why she did this, and if somehow we did find out her reasons, even then we'd find her decision hard to understand.

I feel sorry for the DJ's too, they had no idea this was going to be the result of their prank, no-one did. They're not evil people with no sense of morals, they're just purveyors of the cheapest form of comedy.

The treatment they're receiving is getting a little holier-than-thou, it's easy to be wise with hindsight.

Edited by Walter White
  • Like 1

With a name like Jacintha Saldanha my guess is that she was Brazilian.

Also, I can't believe that anyone fell for this prank. These two Aussie morons - one pretending to be the Queen and the other pretending to be Prince Charles - were useless at putting on British accents. They still sounded like Australians.

*Snip*

Jacintha Saldanha

She's from India I think, that's what I've read.

The accents were terrible, I can't believe anyone fell for it either.

I would have always thought that someone would ring the hospital on behalf of the Queen, and then when reception answered, they'd say "I have Queen Elizabeth II on the line for Princess Catherine", then they'd patch the Queen through. Or something to that effect.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image

She's from India I think, that's what I've read.

The accents were terrible, I can't believe anyone fell for it either.

I would have always thought that someone would ring the hospital on behalf of the Queen, and then when reception answered, they'd say "I have Queen Elizabeth II on the line for Princess Catherine", then they'd patch the Queen through. Or something to that effect.

Yeah. I can't believe the Queen herself would phone the hospital. It would be a member of her staff.

I am a royalist. If i was looking after the queens grandsons wife in the best hospital in europe i would be quite happy. If i then recieved a call from the queen and prince charles i would be very excited.

If the following day i was told that it wasnt the queen and i commited a crime by giving out personal information of the royal family i would be devestated. Firstly, because my good job was likely to get rid of me and because the whole world heard her excitment and was laughing at her.

In no way was she unstable and i suggest that any of you in her situation may have done the same. I live in NZ and i heard the phone call. I doubt there was any place she could have escaped to get away from it.

Ok, I kind of understand this as I'm from the only American state that had a monarchy prior to becoming a state. We still honor the birthdays of the last kings and princes. Some are state holidays...so, I get that kind of... I still need to know exactly how she died before ruling out foul play though.

What I don't get is how was the prank supposed to be funny? Even if she wasn't part of the royal family I'm finding it difficult to see the humor in the prank.

What exactly was supposed to be the funny part of finding out the symptoms of a pregnant woman's nausea?

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 3

I reckon the reason the poor woman took her own life was because she had the unenviable task of looking after a future Queen, when she realised what had happened she became deeply ashamed,and woefully embarrassed,that she had let down the Royals, the Hospital and her Family.The Hospital said that she would not be reprimanded which I dont believe,she would have been quietly put on another ward and after a while had her employment terminated.The hierachy dont forgive mishaps like this and her life would be hell from now on, so she went away and probably broke down with the enormity of the situation and then decided to end it all.Thats the way I see it for right or wrong.

• Like 2

I reckon the reason the poor woman took her own life was because she had the unenviable task of looking after a future Queen, when she realised what had happened she became deeply ashamed,and woefully embarrassed,that she had let down the Royals, the Hospital and her Family.The Hospital said that she would not be reprimanded which I dont believe,she would have been quietly put on another ward and after a while had her employment terminated.The hierachy dont forgive mishaps like this and her life would be hell from now on, so she went away and probably broke down with the enormity of the situation and then decided to end it all.Thats the way I see it for right or wrong.

Yup, I agree. Between the public humiliation through the press, the hospital administration and their 'support', how was she to feel that things would get better? As to her not being the one who actually gave out the info, that nurse may have blamed Jacintha because she (the other nurse) could/would have assumed that the caller was verified.

• Like 1

LONDON (AP) — "A nurse found dead days after she took a crank call about the pregnant Duchess of Cambridge was originally from India, British police said Saturday, as details began to trickle out about the woman whose death has sparked anger at the Australian radio DJs behind the hoax.

Jacintha Saldanha, 46, was found dead early Friday at nurses' housing provided by London's King Edward VII hospital, where Prince William's wife, the former Kate Middleton, was being treated for acute morning sickness this week.

Police released a grainy photo of Saldanha on Saturday. She had lived in Bristol in southwestern England with her family for the past nine years, Scotland Yard confirmed.

Police said her death is being treated as "unexplained," though they said they didn't find anything suspicious. A coroner will make a determination on the cause next week.

Police have made no connection between her death and the prank call, but people from London to Sydney have been making the assumption that she died because of stress from the call.

Flowers were left outside the hospital's nurses' building. Attached to the red, white and blue flowers, a note read: "Dear Jacintha, our thoughts are with you and your family. From all your fellow nurses, we bless your soul. God bless."A man identified as Saldanha's driving instructor Jeff Sellick, told Sky News he was in "complete shock" at her death, saying "it's just such a shame, she was such a nice person."In a statement, Saldanha's family said they were "deeply saddened" by the death and asked for privacy.

Saldanha had worked for four years at the hospital. She took the hoax call Tuesday by the two DJs from 2DayFM, and transferred the call to the nurse caring for the duchess.

During the call, a woman using the often-mimicked voice of Britain's monarch asked about the duchess' health. She was told by the second nurse who took the call from Saldanha that the duchess, the former Kate Middleton, "hasn't had any retching with me and she's been sleeping on and off."The recorded conversation sparked international headlines, and the DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, soon apologized for the prank. They have said they will not return to the station until further notice, though the chief executive of the station's parent company has said he stands behind them.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority, which regulates radio broadcasting, says it has received complaints about the prank and is discussing the matter with the Sydney-based station, though it has not yet begun an investigation.The station has a history of controversy, including a series of "Heartless Hotline" shows in which disadvantage people were offered a prize that could be taken away from them by listeners.

St. James's Palace, the office of the duchess and her husband Prince William, expressed sadness at Saldanha's death, but insisted that it had not complained about the hoax. King Edward VII's Hospital said it did not reprimand Saldanha, nor had plans to discipline her."

• Like 2

Those two Australian's should be ashamed of themselves.

That nurse didn't wake up that morning planning on suicide. Those two DJ's drove her to it and are responsible for her death. Jacintha would also be responsible, but can no longer take responsibility on the grounds that she's deceased. The responsibility therfor, falls directly onto the shoulders of the DJ's.

Jacintha's family can't rest in piece until justice is served, nor will Jacintha rest in piece until someone rights the wrongs in place. Hope you people understand that.

Edited by Insaniac

I realize that the death followed the prank, but I think people should wait for more info before concluding that 1) it was a suicide, and 2) that it had anything to do with the prank call.

• Like 3

Those two Australian's should be ashamed of themselves.

That nurse didn't wake up that morning planning on suicide. Those two DJ's drove her to it and are responsible for her death. Jacintha would also be responsible, but can no longer take responsibility on the grounds that she's deceased. The responsibility therfor, falls directly onto the shoulders of the DJ's.

Jacintha's family can't rest in piece until justice is served, nor will Jacintha rest in piece until someone rights the wrongs in place. Hope you people understand that.

What utter nonsense!

• Like 3

Yeah. I can't believe the Queen herself would phone the hospital. It would be a member of her staff.

i'm wondering, why would anyone call the hospital? the prince was with her and could have easily relayed information on her health

Edited by JGirl

Police said her death is being treated as "unexplained," though they said they didn't find anything suspicious. A coroner will make a determination on the cause next week.

I have read about this too.. I have a feeling it was not suicide or obviously not murder.. I am thinking it could be her heart giving in? I am just guessing.. I have heard of people dropping with heart failure after being under stress or grief stricken. It's hard to say what caused her death, but I doubt it was suicide .. In saying that, no one confirmed it was suicide and as your article reads, they will confirm more info in regards to her cause of death next week..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for the DJ's too, they had no idea this was going to be the result of their prank, no-one did

That's the thing with pranks, sometimes when we find it funny to play one, we never really think about any back lash or consequences .. I did say earlier I blame them, but I said that with the heat of the moment from my first time hearing of this sad news..I was thinking at the time, if they had never of played that prank, none of this would be going on, well that states the obvious...But now when I think about it, these guys are feeling the heat more than anyone else connected to the prank.

Their lives right now, must be sheer hell...I know that if I pulled such a prank and it went out of control, I too would be living in hell. I don't know how I could cope...This kind of thing can happen when you don't put your brain into action before making the move..

They obviously knew they would be found out, and trouble will be caused, they would need to be complete idiots not to know that much ..The only thing they didn't count on was the death of a nurse...As you point out, they couldn't have guessed that would happen ..So it is sad for them it winded up like this..When this is blown over, they will most likely have their jobs back, as many articles read, they are only gone until further notice, and their station is backing them.. So I don't completely feel sorry for them.. If the nurse had not of passed away, their prank was still pretty stupid, they still knew trouble would arise, and they didn't care..

They're not evil people with no sense of morals, they're just purveyors of the cheapest form of comedy.

I don't know what kind of people they really are, for I do not know them personally.... But one thing is for sure, they throw out cheap comedy.. It's cheap and that's all you could label it

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/08/world/europe/uk-royal-hospital-death/index.html

I don't feel sorry for the DJs. This article uses the word premeditated ,and then station management chose to air ir .

It wasn't done live. Numerous steps were taken ,before it was aired .

• Like 1

What utter nonsense!

Hm, perhaps some of it.

What do you think about the DJ's?

Edited by Insaniac

Hm, perhaps some of it.

What do you think about the DJ's?

Purveyors of the cheapest form of comedy, I don't think what they did was the least bit funny (only my opinion) but on the other hand I don't think they're guilty of manslaughter either.

Apologies for the bluntness of my reply to your post. Just because I'm on the internet doesn't mean I can forget how to be polite.:)

• Like 1

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/08/world/europe/uk-royal-hospital-death/index.html

I don't feel sorry for the DJs. This article uses the word premeditated ,and then station management chose to air ir .

It wasn't done live. Numerous steps were taken ,before it was aired .

What did they find so funny about what they did? I mean, even if there was no tragedy, nothing illegal, and absolutely no one got hurry in any way, what was so funny about it???

These two have an odd sense of humor to say the least.

• Like 2

Purveyors of the cheapest form of comedy, I don't think what they did was the least bit funny (only my opinion) but on the other hand I don't think they're guilty of manslaughter either.

Apologies for the bluntness of my reply to your post. Just because I'm on the internet doesn't mean I can forget how to be polite. :)

It's no problem, I think you were right to an extent, haha.

Yeah, perhaps they are not guilty of manslaughter, although they "started it" as it were. And she decided to take her own life over events the DJ's stirred into motion.

They all played a part in this tragedy, and they must bear the consequences of their actions, whatever they may be.

That's the thing with pranks, sometimes when we find it funny to play one, we never really think about any back lash or consequences .. I did say earlier I blame them, but I said that with the heat of the moment from my first time hearing of this sad news..I was thinking at the time, if they had never of played that prank, none of this would be going on, well that states the obvious...But now when I think about it, these guys are feeling the heat more than anyone else connected to the prank.

Their lives right now, must be sheer hell...I know that if I pulled such a prank and it went out of control, I too would be living in hell. I don't know how I could cope...This kind of thing can happen when you don't put your brain into action before making the move..

They obviously knew they would be found out, and trouble will be caused, they would need to be complete idiots not to know that much ..The only thing they didn't count on was the death of a nurse...As you point out, they couldn't have guessed that would happen ..So it is sad for them it winded up like this..When this is blown over, they will most likely have their jobs back, as many articles read, they are only gone until further notice, and their station is backing them.. So I don't completely feel sorry for them.. If the nurse had not of passed away, their prank was still pretty stupid, they still knew trouble would arise, and they didn't care..

I've been a bit of a prankster in the past, and I've had a few backfire with some pretty bad results that made my name mud. It is soul destroying when things go bad, and it sure as hell drags you down and if you don't do anything about it or at least put some effort into atoning for your sin it can destroy you..

The shock jocks need to atone for what they did imo.. A meaningfull public apology in the least is a start. Then they need to ask for forgiveness, and if fogiveness isn't given, they need to forgive themselves.. Ultimately though, as far as their crime goes, I think they need to be extradited and face justice in the UK.

• Like 2

I've been a bit of a prankster in the past, and I've had a few backfire with some pretty bad results that made my name mud. It is soul destroying when things go bad, and it sure as hell drags you down and if you don't do anything about it or at least put some effort into atoning for your sin it can destroy you..

You're right it is soul destroying when things go bad....Check out the latest news article on the 2 Dj's...

"We have genuine concerns for their state of mind": Royal prank DJs on suicide watch

Mel Greig and Michael Christian receiving “medical assistance” after bosses raised concerns for their“physical and emotional well-being”

The two DJs who made the prank call being blamed for the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha were last night on suicide watch following a huge worldwide backlash.

Australians Mel Greig and Michael Christian were both receiving “medical assistance” after bosses raised concerns for their “physical and emotional well-being”, the Sunday People has learned.

The pair were moved into hiding in the early hours of yesterday morning after receiving terrifying online death threats.

And a spokesman for Austereo, the firm which owns under-fire station 2Day FM, admitted: “We have real, genuine concerns for their well-being and state of mind.”

Read more -> http://www.mirror.co...ank-djs-1480485

My word, I know the prank was bad, but sending them both death threats? Sometimes people go overboard when things like this happen..

I think they need to be extradited and face justice in the UK.

According to the article I posted..... it read..->. Greig and Christian face possible extradition to the UK after Scotland Yard contacted Aussie police to say they may want to interview the DJs.

This story seems to be getting worse as the days pass.. It is understandable that the 2 DJ's are hiding out and under suicide watch, I reckon they are going through all kinds of hell... I don't like what has happened , the prank and the poor nurse, but I don't feel the DJ's should receive death threats either.... I sure hope they both don't commit suicide..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

You're right it is soul destroying when things go bad....Check out the latest news article on the 2 Dj's...

This story seems to be getting worse as the days pass.. It is understandable that the 2 DJ's are hiding out and under suicide watch, I reckon they are going through all kinds of hell... I don't like what has happened , the prank and the poor nurse, but I don't feel the DJ's should receive death threats either.... I sure hope they both don't commit suicide..

Ouch.. I can't really imagine what they're going through, but internal self damnation & destruction comes to mind..

I think this is something that's going to haunt them for the rest of their lives... But for their own emotional/spiritual health, they need to offer the deepest of apologies and forgiveness.. It's the only way out of the internal mess they've got themselves in.. And I think that needs to come before they face any other form of criminal justice..

Edited by Professor T