Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nurse who put Aussie prank call thru,dead

Simbi Laveau

Ouch.. I can't really imagine what they're going through, but internal self damnation & destruction comes to mind..

I think this is something that's going to haunt them for the rest of their lives... But for their own emotional/spiritual health, they need to offer the deepest of apologies and forgiveness.. It's the only way out of the internal mess they've got themselves in.. And I think that needs to come before they face any other form of criminal justice..

I imagine they feel pretty bad of they are I suicide watch, but you're right, its going to haunt them for the rest of their livres.

The thing we have to remember is that they didn't plan for the prank to go this bad. They are probably not evil, despicable characters, just a couple of idiots that didn't think things through.

I can't believe the radio station ok'd the prank with their lawers before airing it. They must be completely incompetent to ok the prank, they invaded the duchess' privacy foot one thing!

• Like 1

I imagine they feel pretty bad of they are I suicide watch, but you're right, its going to haunt them for the rest of their livres.

The thing we have to remember is that they didn't plan for the prank to go this bad. They are probably not evil, despicable characters, just a couple of idiots that didn't think things through.

I can't believe the radio station ok'd the prank with their lawers before airing it. They must be completely incompetent to ok the prank, they invaded the duchess' privacy foot one thing!

Nor did I ever think that some of my pranks could go wrong.. lol, but they did.

Unforseen circumstances and events are a kick back in the ass and a hell of a lesson to learn..

Shock jocks, pranksters.. bah.. They get a kick out of it, and we sometimes get a kick out of it too.. perhaps this is a good lesson for every shock jock and prankster out there to consider.. Don't do it, because sometimes pranks kick back.. and when they do there is nothing funny about it.

Yeah, perhaps they are not guilty of manslaughter, although they "started it" as it were. And she decided to take her own life over events the DJ's stirred into motion.

It is not as yet confirmed it was a suicide, I gathered that from the numerous news reports, including the one posted previously by Lava Lady... They will confirm the cause of death next week...

I am starting to think that maybe she didn't take her own life, it could well have been too much for her heart and it gave in ? I don't know, but we will know more as of next week

Edited by Beckys_Mom

There will be many touched by this tragic situation. I've felt sad, angry, embarrassed (to be Australian), and empty this weekend with all this. This is a new world with things like interenet, youtube, instant worldwide 'fame' etc.

One thing (amonst others obviously) that is rubbing people up the wrong way is the arrogance of the DJ's following the initial airplay. Their twitter accounts have now closed but I believe they were truly patting themselves on the back for their 'comedy' and career building due to their perceived success with the prank. Sure, at this point no one had died, BUT they had been humiliated and it was wrong wrong wrong to ring a hospital, so even a few days ago most of us were giving them big thumbs down.

Once upon a time, when I was a very young (inexperienced) receptionist I gave a caller my clients home phone number. HUGE mistake, as anyone would know. Yes, well except a stressed young girl with a switchboard flashing like crazy and a caller that you could say 'tricked' me into it. It still makes me sick to the stomach to think about the stress and grief I copped following it. Some amongst us can just shrug theses things off, some of us can't.

I do feel for the DJs now. They have a tough road ahead (and their families). I'm still angry though, so will have to wait for that to settle a bit.

Beckys_Mom, you might just be right in regards to her heart. They don't like to give out too much information on suicides, and I'm thinking that, as a nurse, she would have access to a few different options in this regard.

May Jacintha Saldanha Rest In Peace.

• Like 1

Nor did I ever think that some of my pranks could go wrong.. lol, but they did.

Unforseen circumstances and events are a kick back in the ass and a hell of a lesson to learn..

Shock jocks, pranksters.. bah.. They get a kick out of it, and we sometimes get a kick out of it too.. perhaps this is a good lesson for every shock jock and prankster out there to consider.. Don't do it, because sometimes pranks kick back.. and when they do there is nothing funny about it.

I sure hope other DJs learn from this.

Dare I ask what your prank was and how it went wrong?

Edited by Lava_Lady

There will be many touched by this tragic situation. I've felt sad, angry, embarrassed (to be Australian), and empty this weekend with all this.

Don't be embarrassed of your nationality, I know this news saddened you and made you feel angry, not to forget how it brought back sad memories of your own, but please, never feel embarrassed for being an Australian I am Irish, and a lot of bad things have went on in my own neck of the woods, I was never embarrassed for being who I am, I just felt sadness and at times angry at so many bad tragic situations that occurred over the years...

I do feel for the DJs now. They have a tough road ahead (and their families).

Sigh, I feel their families will suffer from this too... It must feel like a bad dream that they just want to wake up from.. I sure hope neither of the two DJ's harm themselves, I also hope no one taunts their families from all of this..

I sure hope other DJs learn from this.

Dare I ask what your prank was and how it went wrong?

Office prankster me.. lol.. while everyone went to lunch..

Started with little things, swapping peoples chairs, things like that.. Great fun, got lot's of laughs anyway..

Progressed to puting stickers under people's optical mouses, unplugging keyboards..

Ended with entering wrong peoples passwords wrong twice (three times and your out) & leaving the cap's lock on so when they did come back from lunch to log in they'd be locked out and need to call helpdesk.. (also unplugged their telephones)..

The Unforseen consequence was while they could get back in with a helpdesk call, all their mornings work was completely lost.. some had to work late or come in on weekend to catch up. and to make matters worse, prankster me had pointed the finger at someone else... Then I had a week's holiday (already booked) but learned that my name was mud once people had realised what I'd done.. I almost lost a few friends over it.. I felt awefull for days but what really got me over the shame was going back to the office (on my time off) and apologising to all of them.. Doing that, getting Forgiveness, and forgiving yourself is a huge weight off your shoulders when you feel like your at rock bottom..

Office prankster me.. lol.. while everyone went to lunch..

Started with little things, swapping peoples chairs, things like that.. Great fun, got lot's of laughs anyway..

Progressed to puting stickers under people's optical mouses, unplugging keyboards..

Ended with entering wrong peoples passwords wrong twice (three times and your out) & leaving the cap's lock on so when they did come back from lunch to log in they'd be locked out and need to call helpdesk.. (also unplugged their telephones)..

The Unforseen consequence was while they could get back in with a helpdesk call, all their mornings work was completely lost.. some had to work late or come in on weekend to catch up. and to make matters worse, prankster me had pointed the finger at someone else... Then I had a week's holiday (already booked) but learned that my name was mud once people had realised what I'd done.. I almost lost a few friends over it.. I felt awefull for days but what really got me over the shame was going back to the office (on my time off) and apologising to all of them.. Doing that, getting Forgiveness, and forgiving yourself is a huge weight off your shoulders when you feel like your at rock bottom..

Thank you for sharing your story... :)

I think I would have giggled right along with you but I can see how your Co workers might have had enough and got irritated. It takes a brave person to acknowledge their personal shame and move themselves to apologize. Kudos to you!

• Like 1

The Shock jocks are set to release an interview within an hour..

Here's a snipet..

https://www.youtube....h?v=tF6EsH_AomQ

"I'm told the interviews are raw and emotional," he said. "A third Australian broadcaster was also set to do an interview but during the second interview Mel Greig broke down apparently and bosses here said 'enough is enough, no more interviews'."

Ms Greig is reported to have attempted to defend the pair's actions, saying that prank phone calls are routine in radio. She said: "These prank calls are made every day, on every radio station, in every country around the world.

"They have been for a long time, no-one could have imagined that this was going to happen."

Edited by Professor T

IMO, they need to be extraditied from OZ to the UK and they should face some form of justice for what they did, even if it's just an apology to the victims they need to atone for this..

Completely asinine. People shouldn't be extraditied just to make an apology. Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

I don't blame these two radio personalities per se. Every morning zoo radio show has these stupid hack pukers that make prank calls trying to humiliate people for having real job in the real world. Maybe it helps them deal with their anxiety over the fact that they themselves are a hair's breadth from working at Taco Bell which might yet be around the corner for these two.

Edited by Vein Capital

being Australian this is all over our press at the mo.. i agree with the peops that said that there must have been some other mental issues going on.. sure it's humiliating being tricked like that, and its so sad, but its was trick, she didn't mean to cause embarrassment to the royal family, its nothing a few therapy sessions wouldn't have fixed for most people.. i like the monarchy (which isn't popular).. surely the hospital staff would of been put through some protocol about phone calls.. we live in the mobile phone age, why would anyone call a land line in a hospital to talk to Kate and Wills?? its so sad that she killed herself over it, and left two children behind.. i dont think the people should face charges though..

Here is the interview withe DJs just aired tonight

http://news.ninemsn....-breaks-silence

Honestly I stand by my original position - that nurse did not commit suicide just because of this prank phone call, her part in it was all of 15 seconds where she barely strung a sentence together before putting the call through to the nurse in Kate's ward.

There is simply no way she could feel responsible for putting the call through to the level she "apparently" did unless she was grilled or raked over the coals by the hospital admin or fellow co-workers over it, perhaps even bullied or demeaned, she clearly felt far more powerfully depressed over this incident than it could have warranted just as an event on it's own. The public statements of "she had our support" from the hospital are simply butt covering BS.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

her part in it was all of 15 seconds where she barely strung a sentence together before putting the call through to the nurse in Kate's ward.

15 seconds multiplied by every time it was shared on Facebook or played on some other morning zoo show in another city or country for laughs. if it were you it would be a long 15 seconds ( oops I criticized Facebook, I didn't mean break Sharia law, please don't stone me to death! )

Edited by Vein Capital

15 seconds multiplied by every time it was shared on Facebook or played on some other morning zoo show in another city or country for laughs. if it were you it would be a long 15 seconds.

Only if it was brought to my attention again and again, I doubt I'd be trawling the airwaves and internet looking for the info myself. We have no evidence she did either, or even owned a computer for that matter.

Only if it was brought to my attention again and again, I doubt I'd be trawling the airwaves and internet looking for the info myself. We have no evidence she did either, or even owned a computer for that matter.

I see you are in Australia, I don't think you realize how viral this story was. I heard it played on the radio station here in the US before I viewed anything about on the internet ( before the suicide I mean ).

Edited by Vein Capital

I see you are in Australia, I don't think you realize how viral this story was. I heard it played on the radio station here in the US before I viewed anything about on the internet ( before the suicide I mean ).

Really? Well that is news to me I thought It went viral world wide AFTER the suicide not before, even in Australia it barely rated a blip on anyone's radar before the suicide - it just wasn't that funny or interesting quite frankly, although I expect it would have made it onto the U.K. airwaves in some form also.

Which then begs the question - if it was so crass and questionable why keep playing it for the three days before her suicide? It seems the DJ's station then weren't the only ones who felt there was some mileage in this.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

I call the Australian DJ's wild radio prank humor at its worst, the lowest to go when the woman received the phone call took her own life out of shame and embarrassment when it took place during her job. I have a warped sense of humor myself, except there's a limit to what you can do to generate the LULZ in pranks. Shock jock radio does that alot to get the "foot in mouth" when their jokes and comments attempting to generate humor causes uproar and controversy to threaten their jobs. Good thing, the two DJ' s lose theirs because someone committed suicide over grief of their prank call.

There will be many touched by this tragic situation. I've felt sad, angry, embarrassed (to be Australian), and empty this weekend with all this. This is a new world with things like interenet, youtube, instant worldwide 'fame' etc.

SNIP

Them being Australian has nothing to do with it. I bet 10,000+ prank phone calls are made every year by radio stations all around the world.

We don't know it was a suicide either. There's a very good chance she died by coincidence, for all we know she could have just slipped over.

Also these guys aren't Shock Jocks, they're regular radio hosts that were probably getting low on ratings and tried something 'edgy' to get more listeners. Stupid mistake for them.

Edited by DKO

Here is the interview withe DJs just aired tonight

http://news.ninemsn....-breaks-silence

Thanks for sharing this video, I sat through it, I feel it helped

It seems the girl Mel, was more cut up about this situation, she even feels she was part of the death . I can fully understand why she feels she is.. I too would feel I was part of it if I was playing the prank... Even if the nurse had not of died and just faced a bit of trouble over it, I'd say the DJ's would most likely still feel bad over it... I know I would feel bad if I played a prank and found later it caused trouble.. They way I would see it is, if I hadn't played the prank, I wouldn't be hearing of any trouble that followed... People with morals, and who like to take responsibility for their own actions, will feel they are part of any terrible outcome, it's only natural

If you can remember from watching that video interview, the DJ's said that the process is taken into other hands to review it before allowing it to go further.. So, whoever took the recording from the DJ's, has reviewed it ( obviously ) and thought yes lets do this.. YET the DJ's are the ones facing the flack over the entire thing... Is that fair? I think not I feel the higher authorities who reviewed this prank call before it got out, should face the music..Putting the full blame on to the DJ's is effing cowardly.... I wondered why their station said, that the DJ's were suspended until further notice? Now I know why, because the station knows they too are to blame, yet they allow their two DJ's to take the fall

Honestly I stand by my original position - that nurse did not commit suicide

It was not as yet confirmed as a suicide, yet so many seem to call it without the facts released .. I find it hard to believe she took her own life... I am just guessing, but as the death is pegged ( until further notice ) as unexplained.. I said in answer to a previous Lava Ladys post in ref to the death being unexplained, ( can be read in post 86 ) I feel she may not have taken her own life, that it could have been the stress and grief, that could very well cause heart trouble and it gave way.. This is known to happen to so many people... If I am wrong, so be it.. but for now, I feel it may not be what so many think it is

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 5

IMO, they need to be extraditied from OZ to the UK and they should face some form of justice for what they did, even if it's just an apology to the victims they need to atone for this..

Just think, their great-great-grandparents were convicts, too.
Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

The new buzz is,should they be prosecuted for a crime ,in the nurses death .

Suicide is yet to be determined .

As much as I think they were idiots,that's going a bit too far .

Then every person who has a former significant other commit suicide if they break up ,should also be prosecuted for a death.

It's just not applicable ,in ky opinion .

As for exploiting the royal family ,well that's a whole other crime . Can't feel sympathy there .

People need to stop using Jacintha's possible mental issues as an excuse for why the DJ's shouldn't be punished, though.

Hope this situation heals.

• Like 2