Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nurse who put Aussie prank call thru,dead

Simbi Laveau

Here is the interview withe DJs just aired tonight

http://news.ninemsn....-breaks-silence

Honestly I stand by my original position - that nurse did not commit suicide just because of this prank phone call, her part in it was all of 15 seconds where she barely strung a sentence together before putting the call through to the nurse in Kate's ward.

There is simply no way she could feel responsible for putting the call through to the level she "apparently" did unless she was grilled or raked over the coals by the hospital admin or fellow co-workers over it, perhaps even bullied or demeaned, she clearly felt far more powerfully depressed over this incident than it could have warranted just as an event on it's own. The public statements of "she had our support" from the hospital are simply butt covering BS.

That was a very interesting interview.. thanks for posting it.

It was never their intention to cause such harm, it never is..

I still stand by what I said, that they should atone for what they did, even if it means going to the UK and apologising.. That public interview goes a long way towards achieving that, I really hope they can find it in their hearts to forgive themselves for their part in this circus..

But what I found most interesting was that the desicion to air the prank was not theirs. The station bosses have a LOT to answer for..

If any good is to come from this whole affair, it should be that prank calls are banned..

• Like 2

That was a very interesting interview.. thanks for posting it.

It was never their intention to cause such harm, it never is..

I still stand by what I said, that they should atone for what they did, even if it means going to the UK and apologising.. That public interview goes a long way towards achieving that, I really hope they can find it in their hearts to forgive themselves for their part in this circus..

But what I found most interesting was that the desicion to air the prank was not theirs. The station bosses have a LOT to answer for..

If any good is to come from this whole affair, it should be that prank calls are banned..

Why don't we ban freedom of speech and freedom of expression as well,all very PC.

Tragic it is,over reaction it is as well.The world still turns.

• Like 1

Why don't we ban freedom of speech and freedom of expression as well,all very PC.

You don’t have to be PC, only engage common sense.

Pranks are all right, as long as you ****en ask the victims of your pranks if you can air it.

I guess “I’ll kill myself if you do” means “no”, but they didn’t bother to ask.

The world still turns, yes, but it’s becoming more like overpopulated zoo with more technology and less civilization.

• Like 4

You don’t have to be PC, only engage common sense.

Pranks are all right, as long as you ****en ask the victims of your pranks if you can air it.

I guess “I’ll kill myself if you do” means “no”, but they didn’t bother to ask.

The world still turns, yes, but it’s becoming more like overpopulated zoo with more technology and less civilization.

Oh well Life's a b**** ...........

According to the article I posted..... it read..->. Greig and Christian face possible extradition to the UK after Scotland Yard contacted Aussie police to say they may want to interview the DJs.

i'm almost positive the police at scotland yard will pull some charges out of there ass and then give them the maximum penalty, if the dont get lynched on the way there that is..... Edited by Doctor manhattan

Well you can let us know,when it happens to you .Karmas a b**** ?

It's illegal in most places to not ask permission to air stuff like this ,especially given it involved a monarch ,and it was done to them without their knowledge .

Here in the USA ,they MUST SAY ,you are on the air now .If they decline to be hear ,conversation over.

They would be in jail now,if it had been the USA,and one of the presidents kids. I dare say its the same in Canada .

• Like 1

It's already been acknowledged that the two radio DJ's are publicly charged with impersonating another individual in order to obtain confidential information. Perhaps this case will set a president for future obstructions. What shouldn't be under review right now is freedom of expression rights. Let the law run it's course and protect liberty at all costs.

Edited by acidhead

I may have ruffled a few fellow Aussies when I said I was ashamed to be Australian this weekend. I apologise for that. Clearly there are many many good people that live here and much to be proud of. I posted when I was bit emotional and het up. :blush:

This weekend was getting to me not just because of the DJ's situation, but also the silly video our Prime Minister put out about the end of the world. Also my frustration partly lies with the fact that my parents made the big move from England to Australia many years ago to get a to a better place and a better life for my family. There's also other things going on in my world ATM that are clearly influencing my feelings (aren't there always? I hear you say..)

Anyway, back on topic... The feeling I'm getting now is that the managers and decision makers at 2Day FM are starting to feel some heat. They said that they tried to contact the hospital 5 times before it went to air (to get permission I guess but that's never actually been clearly stated). Now the hospital is saying this ain't the case.

It will be a good thing if 'prank' or 'gotcha' calls are sent to the bin of history. Things might be different in other countries but I don't think it's being too PC to expect these to go the way of the dodo.

This is from our gov. website

Freedom of speech

Australians are free, within the bounds of the law, to say or write what we think privately or publicly, about the government, or about any topic. We do not censor the media and may criticise the government without fear of arrest. Free speech comes from facts, not rumours, and the intention must be constructive, not to do harm. There are laws to protect a person's good name and integrity against false information. There are laws against saying or writing things to incite hatred against others because of their culture, ethnicity or background. Freedom of speech is not an excuse to harm others.

• Like 5

My perspective on this changed after I saw the Current Affair interview. They m ade the point that radio shows do these things all the time. I still think it was a mean prank, but if you are going to impune these two radio hosts, then are you going to impune every other morning radio show around thew orld that aired the prank? I think it's stupid programming but it is what it is, there's no reason to single out these two. I also believe them when they say they had no say over whether it airs, they just record the bit and thne pass it on to people behind the scenes. They're probably don't concern themselves over what;s acceptable to be played on the air, it's not their job. It was obvious they felt bad about it. I don't see what legal action will accomplish.

• Like 1

It's already been acknowledged that the two radio DJ's are publicly charged with impersonating another individual in order to obtain confidential information. Perhaps this case will set a president for future obstructions. What shouldn't be under review right now is freedom of expression rights. Let the law run it's course and protect liberty at all costs.

So where does that leave the lawyers who said it was OK to air this?

From what I read, they are also in trouble for not getting permission for the 'prank' to be aired. Now:

The Australian radio station which made a prank call to a UK hospital that apparently resulted in the death of a nurse said Tuesday that it would donate at least 500,000 Australian dollars (US$524,000) to a fund for the nurse's family.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/11/world/asia/australia-uk-prank-call/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So, they know that they could be sued and did not cover their arses. They said that they called the hospital 5 times before airing it, then they should ahve made that 6th call, they might have actually talked to someone. Logically, if you don't get the ok, then why the hell do you go ahead with it?

From what I read, they are also in trouble for not getting permission for the 'prank' to be aired. Now:

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t1

So, they know that they could be sued and did not cover their arses. They said that they called the hospital 5 times before airing it, then they should have made that 6th call, they might have actually talked to someone. Logically, if you don't get the ok, then why the hell do you go ahead with it?

I watched the full interview taken from libstaK's post below.. The two DJ's over and over again said, they had to pass the recording over to higher authorities before it was given the go ahead, but they wouldn't say who it was that reviewed the recording before it went out.. Yet the station is sitting back allowing the two DJ's to take the fall and face the music..

I am sure the hospital can find out from BT if they did receive calls from the radio station, times and date..That's easy done.. But like you just mentioned, they didn't get the go-ahead but did it regardless ..Something not right with that story

Here is the interview withe DJs just aired tonight

http://news.ninemsn....-breaks-silence

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I watched the full interview taken from libstaK's post below.. The two DJ's over and over again said, they had to pass the recording over to higher authorities before it was given the go ahead, but they wouldn't say who it was that reviewed the recording before it went out.. Yet the station is sitting back allowing the two DJ's to take the fall and face the music..

I am sure the hospital can find out from BT if they did receive calls from the radio station, times and date..That's easy done.. But like you just mentioned, they didn't get the go-ahead but did it regardless ..Something not right with that story

Between the administration of the hospital and the higher authorities of the radio station...it's like they are passing blame back and forth. There is no way that I will believe that the administrators of the hospital weren't reading the riot act once this came out.

• Like 1

Our friendly neighbourhood Hacktivists have weighed in on the topic - basically saying "sack the DJs or we go after the sponsors".

it's a pity their just taking aim at the DJs and not the legal team that okayed the stunt, the administration of the station that okayed it for airing.....

• Like 1

More here -

"The nurse who apparently took her own life after she was duped by a hoax call made to the hospital treating the Duchess of Cambridge left a 'suicide note' for her family, it was revealed today.

The content of the note written by Jacintha Saldanha is unknown but it is understood to have been addressed to her family, according to sources.

A post-mortem examination on the 46-year-old nurse has begun today."

http://www.dailymail...ote-family.html

Our friendly neighbourhood Hacktivists have weighed in on the topic - basically saying "sack the DJs or we go after the sponsors".

it's a pity their just taking aim at the DJs and not the legal team that okayed the stunt, the administration of the station that okayed it for airing.....

Yeah, the administrators are the ones who had the control here, yes, the DJs did the call...isn't it always the little people who get all the blame.

It's illegal in most places to not ask permission to air stuff like this ,especially given it involved a monarch ,and it was done to them without their knowledge .

Here in the USA ,they MUST SAY ,you are on the air now .If they decline to be hear ,conversation over.

They would be in jail now,if it had been the USA,and one of the presidents kids. I dare say its the same in Canada .

:passifier: :passifier:

What's the guiding moral principle behind "do what I say or you're ****ed?" Terrorists and mobsters must be the most virtuous people ever. Hacktivists are bunch of hypocrites, or maybe hackto-crits?

• Like 1

What's the guiding moral principle behind "do what I say or you're ****ed?" Terrorists and mobsters must be the most virtuous people ever. Hacktivists are bunch of hypocrites, or maybe hackto-crits?

If they were terrorists I'd hardly call them so within earshot would I?

Do they really have to tell them they are on air before the call? I watch/listen to Howard Stern all the time, never have I heard them say that before a prank call, same with other American prank calls I've seen.

How would the prank call even work if they are told beforehand that they are on the radio?

Not trying to argue with you Simbi, just curious on those examples. :)

Do they really have to tell them they are on air before the call? I watch/listen to Howard Stern all the time, never have I heard them say that before a prank call, same with other American prank calls I've seen.

How would the prank call even work if they are told beforehand that they are on the radio?

Not trying to argue with you Simbi, just curious on those examples. :)

In the USA,we have a few shows that do daily pranks .One,that actually amuses me,is called War of the Roses. I used to listen to it at work all the time .

They get them on the air ,and once they get them going,they have to let them know they are on the radio .They say this on the air,as the prank progresses.

If the object of the prank doesnt know 1000s may be listening to them be duped,they radio station can be sued.

http://www.ktu.com/pages/war-of-the-roses/

It outs cheaters. Some are funny .

As it states here,its an FCC regulation .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Roses_(radio_show)

The FCC can fine tv and radio 10,000s ,for violating code.

It's just not allowed here ,at all.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

In Australia at least the law says you can't broadcast people's covertly recorded words without their permission. Therefore "live" prank calls aren't actually "live", we've had a fair bit of trouble along these lines recently which is why the call was pre-reoreded and then vetted by the lawyers.

• Like 1

In Australia at least the law says you can't broadcast people's covertly recorded words without their permission. Therefore "live" prank calls aren't actually "live", we've had a fair bit of trouble along these lines recently which is why the call was pre-reoreded and then vetted by the lawyers.

It's the same principle here.

Shows like Hidden Camera,and Punk'd,none of that stuff can be aired without permission .Even some news stations.

And as everyone knows,at the end of the pranks,the person is made aware they are in camera .

It's not just by design ,it has to be done .