Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nurse who put Aussie prank call thru,dead

Simbi Laveau

In the USA ,what the nurses did is violation of HIPA laws.

Huge fines ,and loss of your professional license is what can happen to you here,but I think our authorities would have held the DJs responsible ,for the initial crime,but the nurses would have been held accountable in some way.

How did the USA authorities handle the DJ's that killed that young Mum with water in that Hold Your Wee for a Wii contest?

IMHO, that was a far worse scenario.

• Like 3

This is exactly what has been bothering me all day too BM. The stance of the hospital that the nurse had their full support and that they didn't blame her is completely disengenuous - why would she feel so depressed about something she was being positively supported in dealing with? I call BS from the Hospital Admin on this, she must have had to deal with something more than being told she had inadvertantly transferred a hoax call to the nurse on duty in Kate's ward? Seriously, since when is transferring a call enough on it's own to make someone feel suicidal?

The prank was messed up but hardly serious, what was serious was the nurse giving all those details over the phone to said Queen - not the nurse's fault because she had no way of knowing if it was kosher to tell the Queen of England "I'm sorry that is private information and due to patient confidentiality blah, blah", yes that nurse was placed in an awkward position by fraudsters, yet she did not commit suicide. It seems that the finger was pointed at the receptionist for putting the call through and likely announcing that it was the Queen on the line, there is no way they stood behind her when it all blew up by what happened next, I just can't see them patting her on the back and saying "it's ok, it's not your fault", I too have known way to many management types who a name and head to roll so they can cast aside blame from themselves for poor procedues etc.

As you say, we can't know for sure but like I said it's been niggling at me and I smell a rat outside of them two DJ's in this.

It is pretty hard to understand I agree, I would think the person who would be seriously reprimanded would be the nurse who actually gave out all the details, not one who transferred the call. Many questions abound. Did the Nurse who gave out the details pass the buck in Administration?

I feel for the DJ's. I know a lot of people will get upset about that, but deal with it. How many people here have done something stupid? Imagine if we could see an honest show of hands. Is it something that should cost you everything that you have strived for your entire life? The DJs that did the Wee for a Wii, Kyle Sandilands - need I go beyond him? They set a benchmark. Remember that business with the underage raped girl? We see much worse than this, and prank calls can be entertaining too. Nobody was upset when DJ's called Sarah Pallin pretending the be the French President. These two young people made a bad call. Now they have to start their lives over again. They have received death threats!!!!

Can you imagine? Because some people blame their prank, they think that is punishable by death! Now that is screwed up.These guys made a bad call, now they have very little, they will be a political hot potato. And the only thing linking them to the death is assumption.

I do not think people understand how it affected everyone. I just cannot imagine those two when they received the news. It would be like being struck by lightning. They are both devastated as anyone can see. They have pulled of pranks in the past, that amount to little more than annoyance, they do not seem to be nasty people who want to hurt someone. I am not even sure how they are being made out to be entirely responsible. We have a tragedy, and yes, that is horrible, but I think the DJ's are just a knee jerk reaction wanting someone to pay. I am terribly sorry for the Nurse, and her family, and wish this had not happened, but I do not think this stupid stunt should cost three lives.

I cannot see either of the pair attempting anything so bold ever again.

• Like 2

It is pretty hard to understand I agree, I would think the person who would be seriously reprimanded would be the nurse who actually gave out all the details, not one who transferred the call. Many questions abound. Did the Nurse who gave out the details pass the buck in Administration?

I feel for the DJ's. I know a lot of people will get upset about that, but deal with it. How many people here have done something stupid? Imagine if we could see an honest show of hands. Is it something that should cost you everything that you have strived for your entire life? The DJs that did the Wee for a Wii, Kyle Sandilands - need I go beyond him? They set a benchmark. Remember that business with the underage raped girl? We see much worse than this, and prank calls can be entertaining too. Nobody was upset when DJ's called Sarah Pallin pretending the be the French President. These two young people made a bad call. Now they have to start their lives over again. They have received death threats!!!!

Can you imagine? Because some people blame their prank, they think that is punishable by death! Now that is screwed up.These guys made a bad call, now they have very little, they will be a political hot potato. And the only thing linking them to the death is assumption.

I do not think people understand how it affected everyone. I just cannot imagine those two when they received the news. It would be like being struck by lightning. They are both devastated as anyone can see. They have pulled of pranks in the past, that amount to little more than annoyance, they do not seem to be nasty people who want to hurt someone. I am not even sure how they are being made out to be entirely responsible. We have a tragedy, and yes, that is horrible, but I think the DJ's are just a knee jerk reaction wanting someone to pay. I am terribly sorry for the Nurse, and her family, and wish this had not happened, but I do not think this stupid stunt should cost three lives.

I've mentioned that same thing. She gave out the information, did she assume since the call was forwarded that the person forwarding it had verified it was the Queen? Personally, I think their higher ups threw them under the bus. Permission wasn't given by the hospital or the nurses because the radio station did not get through to the hospital ( kinda fishy there too). The station had a press release saying they hadn't done anything wrong...passing the buck.

• Like 2

That's pretty spot on - the potential is now that it could cost 3 lives. As I have said somewhere earlier also - this would not have gone "viral" if the U.K. press had not taken an interest, it should have just been a local spot on a radio station. Where are all the stations and news groups that made this such a huge deal? Why was it so wrong for the DJs to pull the prank but not the rest of the world to play it over and over again making it an international event?

• Like 1

Between the administration of the hospital and the higher authorities of the radio station...it's like they are passing blame back and forth. There is no way that I will believe that the administrators of the hospital weren't reading the riot act once this came out.

I call that passing the buck.. Many cowardly people like to play that game

How did the USA authorities handle the DJ's that killed that young Mum with water in that Hold Your Wee for a Wii contest?

I didn't know about that.. I read your post and it shocked me.. I looked up the story for myself, and it was really sad.. She was quotes saying she was doing it for her kids...sigh...It goes to show you, mothers would do anything for their kids .. Poor girl, so very sad

Considering its from years ago,I've never even heard of it,I assume you googled until you found some case of soommmeeething ,so best guess,you already know the answer.

It's also a completely different scenario ,which is much like the guy that ate cockroaches in a CONTEST ,and died .

Every contestant probably gave written legal release to be in the contest ,and I'm not even sure if it was broadcast ,but alll the contestants would know they were on the air .

Everyone sues when someone dies ,and I've never heard of water toxicity ,which means she had some pre existing idiosyncratic response .

But people do stupid things to win junk so ....

Considering its from years ago,I've never even heard of it,I assume you googled until you found some case of soommmeeething ,so best guess,you already know the answer.

It's also a completely different scenario ,which is much like the guy that ate cockroaches in a CONTEST ,and died .

Every contestant probably gave written legal release to be in the contest ,and I'm not even sure if it was broadcast ,but alll the contestants would know they were on the air .

Everyone sues when someone dies ,and I've never heard of water toxicity ,which means she had some pre existing idiosyncratic response .

But people do stupid things to win junk so ....

No, no pre-existing idiosyncratic response there. It is a matter of the body not being able to flush the toxins out. We learned this in biology in highschhol here in BC. Also, a nurse called into the show to warn them that it was dangerous and someone could severly sick or die. So, yeah, they were liable.

He could well of googled it.. I had to google it to find it, I too had never heard of that story before..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

He could well of googled it.. I had to google it to find it, I too had never heard of that story before..

I'm pretty sure it was a thread here on UM.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it was a thread here on UM.

I honestly had never heard of that story before, so it must be pretty old ..well old enough

I honestly had never heard of that story before, so it must be pretty old ..well old enough

I searched and there were two threads in 2007. I didn't think it was that long ago....I'm getting old. Lol

Is this it?

http://www.unexplain...e contest&st=0

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/6261509.stm

• Like 1

I searched and there were two threads in 2007. I didn't think it was that long ago....I'm getting old. Lol

Blimey, it was 5 years ago.. I searched through the thread Still Waters posted, and thought to myself - BM I sure hope you haven't posted in this thread, otherwise your memory is shot to bits lol

I have seen me do this a few times.. I read the title of a thread, think wow this is bizarre, and scroll through it, only to find I had already posted in it, and some of them were only a few months old..Maybe my memory is going :wacko:

No, no pre-existing idiosyncratic response there. It is a matter of the body not being able to flush the toxins out. We learned this in biology in highschhol here in BC. Also, a nurse called into the show to warn them that it was dangerous and someone could severly sick or die. So, yeah, they were liable.

I apologise for nitpicking, but it’s not the body being unable to flush the toxins out because of extreme water intake, it’s the body flushing minerals out at too fast rate. Just because your potassium is technically still inside your body, if it sits in your bladder, it’s useless. And without potassium, to start with, nerves can’t transmit impulses and your muscular contractions cannot be performed. Since heart is the muscle, you’re dead.

One of the reasons why diuretics (unless prescribed by professional for actual conditions) or drastic “water diets” are dangerous.

Sadly, the woman who died could take all that water without throwing up, which is something most of us would naturally and unstoppably do, then give the damn contest up and - live.

• Like 1

"Nurse at Duchess of Cambridge's hospital was found hanged"

http://www.telegraph...und-hanged.html

I wonder why it didn't say she was found hanged before now? Unless I missed it days ago? It's just, previous news reports called her death - Unexplained, so found hanged is not what I would say is unexplained?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I wonder why it didn't say she was found hanged before now? Unless I missed it days ago? It's just, previous news reports called her death - Unexplained, so found hanged is not what I would say is unexplained?

I hadn't seen anything about her being found hanged either, but it seems to be headline news today. I'm wondering if the unexplained part is because there's some doubt that she did take her own life although everything so far seems to suggest she did. However I think we'll find out more after the post-mortem.

"A post-mortem examination on her body to determine the cause of death has been carried out by a Home Office pathologist and the results are expected to be published at the beginning of the inquest into her death on Thursday."

• Like 1

I hadn't seen anything about her being found hanged either, but it seems to be headline news today. I'm wondering if the unexplained part is because there's some doubt that she did take her own life although everything so far seems to suggest she did.

Yes I see what you mean, but still, it would have at least stated she was found hanged, but I didn't read that beforehand, If I know the media, it would have read - Nurse found hanged following DJ prank, suicide note found... But it didn't, not even the more non reliable news rags bothered.....It's weird !

I think we'll find out more after the post-mortem.

Tomorrow will shed more light, I agree

She got what she wanted. No one else is to blame.

I agree.

A nromal person woudlnt top themselves because of something like this. It may have been the final trigger but there will be a history of mental health problems with the nurse even if she wasnt receiving help for them.

The two presenters have nothing to feel guilty about. The nurse had that look about her too which says shes mental.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Blimey, it was 5 years ago.. I searched through the thread Still Waters posted, and thought to myself - BM I sure hope you haven't posted in this thread, otherwise your memory is shot to bits lol

I have seen me do this a few times.. I read the title of a thread, think wow this is bizarre, and scroll through it, only to find I had already posted in it, and some of them were only a few months old..Maybe my memory is going :wacko:

I know the feeling! LOL

• Like 1

I know the feeling! LOL

I poke fun at myself for it too :P