Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nick names for cities

tyrant lizard

Detroit ,motor city

Paris ,city of lights

Los Angeles ,city of Angels

Hollywood ,hollyweird

Japan ,land of the rising sun

Here's a list of Japan city nicknames .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_city_nicknames_in_Japan

I think Wisconsin is called the cheese state .

Egypt is called Land of the Pharaohs

Hong Kong is Pearl of the Orient

Rome is The Eternal City

The USA is The land of opportunity .

Israel is the Land of milk and honey

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Thessaloniki (in Greece) is being nicknamed as The city of the God, because it's the home of Aris (a sports club based in that city), because Aris was one of the Gods of the Greek mythology! ^_^

Placerville, CA (US)

Aka: Hangtown, Dry Diggin's, Blood and Guts,

"The 'Ville"

and

Last good bathroom stop before Tahoe.

Unofficial slogan: Come on Vacation, leave on probation.

Have these been said ?

Boston is beantown

Florida is the sunshine state

Minneapolis - St Paul ,are the twin cities .

NY,NJ,Conn are the tri state of the north east .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Thanks for stealing my reply and then. <_<

Edited to say that when I lived in Fresno, California, I heard the nickname for that city is No Town.

Don't mention it ;) Sorry - but if you live in Mobile you almost have to mention New Orleans to give people a known reference :w00t:

Ft Myers Fl is often called City of Palms

I've never heard of it referred to as the Drizzle City.

From Wikipedia: Nicknames

From 1869 until 1982, Seattle was known as the "Queen City".[106] Seattle's current official nickname is the "Emerald City", the result of a contest held in 1981;[107][108] the reference is to the lush evergreen forests of the area. Seattle is also referred to informally as the "Gateway to Alaska", "Rain City", and "Jet City",[108] the last from the local influence of Boeing. The Seattle area has also been called "The 206" in reference to the telephone area code. The city has two official slogans or mottos: "The City of Flowers", meant to encourage the planting of flowers to beautify the city, and "The City of Goodwill", adopted prior to the 1990 Goodwill Games.[109] Seattle residents are known as Seattleites.

When I was growing up in Seattle in the 70s and 80s, I always knew us as Jet City (see the Queensryche song Jet City Woman lol) I don't think it was until the 90s that Seattle adopted the "Emerald City" moniker. And truthfully, it is pretty emerald considering everything is covered in moss and we have more trees than we need. LOL. I kind of always think of Seattle as Jet City to be honest.

As far as "Drizzle City" I've never really heard that one used by anyone.. but that doens't mean it's not accurate... it is. LOL.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 2

When I was growing up in Seattle in the 70s and 80s, I always knew us as Jet City (see the Queensryche song Jet City Woman lol)

I always wondered what that song meant. Thanks :tu:

My hometown Indio Cal. used to have a local radio jingle "Hub of the Valley", the area's oldest, largest and most permanent resident city. And Palm Desert shares nicknames with Palm Springs as "Playground of the Presidents", "Golf Capital of the World" and "America's winter resort". The funniest one comes to mind due to a large retiree population: "Heaven's waiting room".

Portland Oregon is the Rose City. I also hear it referenced by it's airport code all the time... The PDX. And of course... Portlandia, Stumptown, and P-Town.

Intesting old fact about Portland is that the term "Being Shanghi'd" orignated there.

And the term Skid Row was coined in Seattle.

I always wondered what that song meant. Thanks :tu:

Frankly, I can't stand that song, it's so corny. LOL. But it is a Seattle gals anthem. LOL.

Chicago... Chi town

St. Louis... Gateway to the west

... that's all i can think of right now.......

Im gonna out myself I think here but Spunville...Sprintucky

I forgot. Ft Myers is also known by the locals as Ft Misery.

Edited by Darkwind

i live near Zanesville, Ohio... it is known as the "Y" city.. named aptly for the y-shaped bridge there....

post-129343-0-40548300-1355972090_thumb.

Have these been said ?

Boston is beantown

Florida is the sunshine state

Minneapolis - St Paul ,are the twin cities .

NY,NJ,Conn are the tri state of the north east .

Minneapolis is also called "The Mini-Apple" - a reference to New York calling itself the "Big Apple"

People from Oldham are called Yonners.

I don't know if that's a fact or something I cooked up.

• 2 weeks later...

Swindonians are also called Moonrakers.

Fancy the chances of that happening.

I come from a town called Donnybrook in Western Australia, also known as Appletown, or Appleland

I come from a town called Donnybrook in Western Australia, also known as Appletown, or Appleland

So that's why you are called the Apple Queen.

So that's why you are called the Apple Queen.

Pretty much. They have an apple festival, and a week before that they have an apple ball where they crown the apple queen. I was never the apple queen (I was never apple queen material), but people always ask me if I was