Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is your favorite short prayer?

Cassea

When you get down, is there a prayer or quote that helps you remain steadfast??

Romans 12:3-8 (New International Version)

Romans 12:3-8

New International Version (NIV)

Humble Service in the Body of Christ

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,[b] do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

Edited by Cassea
  • Like 1

The only thing that motivates, is the 'Golden Rule'. Every version of religion has one, but they tend to disregard it.

"Do unto others as they would do unto you." It's not a human prayer, it's a human precept.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

Angels bless and angels keep, angels guard me while I sleep.

Bless my heart and bless my home, bless my spirit as I roam.

Guide and guard me through the night, wake me with the morning's light.

:)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

The courage to change the things I can

And the wisdom to know the difference

The quote I keep in my signature tends to help me as well. It's not so much a prayer as it is instruction. It tends to tie into what the 'Serenity Prayer' is about though.

• Like 2

Well I am far from a religious person, but have my own odd form of spirituality going on (I wish I could explain, but I know too little to even feel fit to explain anything surrounding the word). When I am feeling down, often the phrase that comes to mind isn't so much a prayer per say, but a consoling, very short and simple phrase: "it's alright". If I really pay attention to this phrase, which has a way of presenting itself to me in my mind in hard times, it helps me. This helps a lot for me due to reasons only known on a personal level, so I understand if it doesn't hold as much relevance to anyone reading as it does for me, but I hold the phrase special in my mind and heart. And it helps. Often, the most helpful and meaningful things said in my mind take me by surprise. Which interests me greatly, because it is my mind. I admit to thinking about this often, and even sometimes asking that voice inside 'who are you?', to which I get the sudden responding thought: 'I am You'. Which never fails to make me smile.

It's all good for something. Because it's all right, 'it's alright'.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 3

I have no ritualistic formula for such things. I simply pray what I think when the moment strikes me.

• Like 1

23 rd Psalm . Psalms are quite powerful .

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

• Like 3

23 rd Psalm . Psalms are quite powerful .

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

Yep, that would be my fave too, along with

Two, four, six, eight, bog in, don't wait :P when dinner's on the table, for those who are not up on Aussie slang ...

• Like 1

Yep, that would be my fave too, along with

Two, four, six, eight, bog in, don't wait :P when dinner's on the table, for those who are not up on Aussie slang ...

Oh,we say "rub a dub dub,dear god,thanks for the grub !"

• Like 3

Thankyou.

I generally just say thankyou. Thankyou for everything. Thankyou for another day of life. Thankyou for letting me spend another day with my son. And help me be the best father I can be.

I do this before I go to sleep every night. I never go to sleep without first giving thanks. I wasnt taught it formally or anything, its just what I do. When I'm down I might chat away alittle but I just end with giving thanks.

Edited by Kazahel
  • Like 2

19th.Cent. (Resurrected by Terry Scott-Taylor)

"Good ale, good meat,

Good God, let's eat."

....................................................................................

"Oh s***, oh s***, oh s***!!!!!" (My first time under fire in Borneo!)

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 4

The only thing that motivates, is the 'Golden Rule'. Every version of religion has one, but they tend to disregard it.

"Do unto others as they would do unto you." It's not a human prayer, it's a human precept.

I prefer the Platinum Rule: Treat others as they wish to be treated.

It takes a bit of more work to understand another to begin to realize this.

• Like 2

I also wanted to put my favorite comedic movie prayer.

O dear God, thank you.

You are such a good God to us.

A kind and gentle and accommodating God.

And we thank You.. O sweet, sweet.. Lord of hosts for the.. smörgåsbord, You have so.. aptly lain at our table this day, and each day... by day. Day by day... by day.

O dear Lord, three things we pray: To love Thee more dearly, to see Thee more clearly, to follow Thee.. more nearly. Day by day... by day. Amen.

• Like 1

The UK version of post #15 (above)

"Let us praise God. Oh Lord, oooh you are so big. So absolutely huge. Gosh, we’re all really impressed down here I can tell you. Forgive us, O Lord, for this dreadful toadying and barefaced flattery. But you are so strong and, well, just so super. Fantastic. Amen."

(Michael Palin as the chaplain in The Meaning of Life)

• Like 4

Earth my Body,

Water my Blood,

Air my Breath

and Fire my Spirit.

• Like 1

I'm an Atheist but I like:

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

• Like 1

....................................................................................

"Oh s***, oh s***, oh s***!!!!!" (My first time under fire in Borneo!)

Was it something like

into this clip? :D

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

Was it something like

into this clip? :D

Internally, yes....but externally all that could be seen was a camo-clad butt poking out of the foliage whilst the other end was buried in the leaf-litter, whimpering!

Edited because Nanny wouldn't let me say ****!

Edited by ealdwita

"I am in thy hands, do as thy will, and I will be content." or similar.

And, "Angels watching over me, every step i take. Angels watching over me, every move i make." Sung out loud to myself :innocent:

• Like 1

''Our father'' covers everything :yes:

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."

Edited by ainomieli
  • Like 1

''Our father'' covers everything :yes:

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."

Us Protestants call that, 'The Lord's Prayer'. Has always struck me as silly that we have different names for the same prayers.

• Like 1

Us Protestants call that, 'The Lord's Prayer'. Has always struck me as silly that we have different names for the same prayers.

Hi,

I think they both are valid.

I come from a country where most people are lutherians and Our father is more commonly used.

Could it be because back in the days there where different bible translations. :yes:

• Like 1

Hi,

I think they both are valid.

I come from a country where most people are lutherians and Our father is more commonly used.

Could it be because back in the days there where different bible translations. :yes:

Hiya! :)

Am thinking it's probably more because I come from a country where catholics and protestants have traditionally hated one another so don't want to use the same names for the same things while they practice the same religion and pray through the same Jesus to the same God.

Like obstinate, hateful children. :yes:

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

I'm an Atheist but I like:

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,

That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

Oh Boon Dock Saints is an ABSOLUTE FAVE of mine :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 1