Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Professional Fart-Smeller

Big Bad Voodoo

http://www.livescience.com/25351-job-smelling-farts.html

Some Chinese who practice alternative medicine apparently believe that each person's flatulence has particular nuances — bitter, savory, sweet, fishy — and these undertones can be used to detect diseases by a trained expert with a sharp sense of smell. An unusually meaty smell, for example, might be interpreted as an indication of intestinal bleeding or tumors.

• Like 1

http://www.livescien...ling-farts.html

Some Chinese who practice alternative medicine apparently believe that each person's flatulence has particular nuances — bitter, savory, sweet, fishy — and these undertones can be used to detect diseases by a trained expert with a sharp sense of smell. An unusually meaty smell, for example, might be interpreted as an indication of intestinal bleeding or tumors.

"Then there's the lengthy training program and the accreditation test — and that's one final exam most of us would probably be happy to skip."

Do they use professional farters? Do these farters have to be accredited? :blink:

• Like 3

My job seems a whole heck of a lot better now.

• Like 4

My job seems a whole heck of a lot better now.

Thats main reason why I posted this. To cheer up dear UMers a little.

• Like 1

Thats main reason why I posted this. To cheer up dear UMers a little.

Lol, worked here.

• Like 2

I wonder when this proffesional fart smellers come home and tell "I had a bad day at work"? I can only imagine one scenario.

• Like 5

http://www.livescience.com/25351-job-smelling-farts.html

It's part of five element theory . You look at color of certain areas of the body ,you smell them .Actual body odor ,which can be very subtle.

In my line of work ,we just ask about flatulence and bowel habits .Urine too ,and does it have a smell .

I'm not a five element practitioner for a reason .

Heh ...

I use some aspects of it just during initial interviews though .

Do the patients fart into a sample bottle or is it a plastic sample bag kinda thing. They can't just fart on demand, surely.

• Like 3

I wonder if some animals, such as dogs, can detect certain human disease through the various odors given-off by the human body.

• Like 2

I wonder if some animals, such as dogs, can detect certain human disease through the various odors given-off by the human body.

The article says they do ,with 97% accuracy .Probably because their sense of smell is so acute.

There is no such thing as a professional fart smeller may I add.

Anyone doing this is a chinese medical practitioner ,and we take all observations into account . We do not ask patients to just fart ,and render a diagnosis ,so this article is amusing,but misleading .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

For some reason this article reminds me of an episode of M.A.S.H. on TV.

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/

The episode were Alan Alda had been temporarily blinded and had his eyes covered while the others were performing operations. He alerted them to one particular patient because he said he could smell bowel or something. His sense of smell was more acute because he couldn't see. Anyone else remember that one?

I've heard of some medical conditions being alerted by sense of smell before, like diabetes is said to make your breath smell sweet. So I guess the idea behind this isn't all that odd, except for the people doing the smelling!

*behind*...no pun intended :lol:

• Like 2

Are they aware that blood tests already exist that give the same results?

Actually they don't give the same results at all.

Chinese evaluation focuses on many things western medicine does not,and western medicine misses,and or doesn't consider important .

Just because they don't find it important ,doesn't mean its not crucial to how we diagnose .

In China ,in a majority of hospitals ,therapy is all inclusive . They have a battery of western tests ,if they need surgery ,they have it ,but they can opt for Chinese traditional therapies to be included .

I would say out in the provinces ,where there are no big hospitals ,they rely on the local acupuncturist herbalist .

So they wouldn't have tests done etc,and they wouldn't care that they hadn't.

In Europe and the USA etc,generally ,unless they hate western medicine ,patients come to us after they've already seen every doctor, had every test.

They come to us ,when all western modalities have failed them .

So they walk in with all their diagnoses .

Chinese medical evaluation actually shows things western medicine ignore .

We take both modalities into consideration ,and we successfully pick up on,and treat things ,conventional conveyor belt medicine misses.

For some reason this article reminds me of an episode of M.A.S.H. on TV.

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/

The episode were Alan Alda had been temporarily blinded and had his eyes covered while the others were performing operations. He alerted them to one particular patient because he said he could smell bowel or something. His sense of smell was more acute because he couldn't see. Anyone else remember that one?

I've heard of some medical conditions being alerted by sense of smell before, like diabetes is said to make your breath smell sweet. So I guess the idea behind this isn't all that odd, except for the people doing the smelling!

*behind*...no pun intended :lol:

Would you believe that episode was on television recently, SW? I'll catch M.A.S.H. sometimes if I don't feel like watching the news when I get home from work and that episode was on last week. Thursday I think. LOL