Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My Grandfathers Doppleganger

Finding Lance

Well hello everyone i have enjoyed this site for along time now when i open my browser it has a google tab and this page on it instantly. i just made an account on here i dont know why i havent before but i would like to say i am happy to be here and able to see the viewpoints of alot of interesting people. i am sorry if this post might be in the wrong catagory or section im a little new to forums in general.

Here is my story, i was about eleven years old i was staying with my great grandparents my parents havent really been in the picture so i stayed with my great grandparents alot at that time in my life. I am twenty-one now and i was thinking the other day about a experience i had that disturbs me and makes me wonder about alot of things, i was playing outside one day riding my bike in the yard at my great grandparents house i saw a truck just like my grandfathers same color same make same model go by slowly as i looked i noticed it was my grandpa he was just looking at me as he drove down the road i examined his face and it looked just like him but something was strange when i looked into his eyes it didnt feel like him to me it was just like i was stareing at something cold or strange and he had this big grin on his face almost a scary type grin. i walked into the house and asked my grandmother where is pap going to? He then spoke up and said "im right here". sure enough he was sitting there in his chair he hadnt moved i remember being so confused but being a kid i was more interested in my pokemon game or riding my bike so i just went on about my day. Not to long after that my grandpa was diagnosed with cancer and passed away in just a few months after his diagnosis. Now its just something that has started haunting me recently idk what happend maybe a slip in time or space or maybe i fell into another dimension for a second i have no idea i looked up dopplegangers and read some thats the reason i threw it in on this title i had no knowledge of it before today but it is so creepy that these types of things have happened to other people. i am for the most part a skeptic on some things but i know that there is so much that we dont know about as humans that anything could really be possible so i try to keep an open mind recently that memory hit me as i was looking threw old pictures and i just thought wow i need to share this with someone. so i hope everyone enjoyed my first post i would appreciate all or any input you guys have as it would help me greatly in forgeting or dismissing this horrible memory or maybe turning it into a positive one.

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to these hallowed halls, Lance. I don't have the expertise to help you with your query, but I know there'll be plenty of real (and self-appointed) experts who'll jump at the chance to analyse the bejaysus out of your post! (My advice? Tread warily - BS sticks to your shoes!)

• Like 3

Welcome to UM!

Memories are subject to distortion and are not really reliable. It's possible too that you have built this one up since your grandfather died not long afterwards.

Anyway, good luck to you!

• Like 1

Welcome to UM!

Memories are subject to distortion and are not really reliable. It's possible too that you have built this one up since your grandfather died not long afterwards.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Thank you very much this could be the case i have always just wondered and thought of this as an awesome chance to get some input from people thanks to both you you for the warm welcome! :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Firstly, as Coldethyl suggested, memories from a long time ago can be clouded and shook about sometimes, so there's the possibility it was formed from a fragment from a tv show, dream, story etc and built up with the emotions. Though conversely, a memory such as that seems very peculiar and sometimes they stick in the mind for a reason. If it is indeed true, or has a slither of truth, it is very odd!

There are continually reports of doppelgangers that are observed, many swear to have seen themsevles o_O Sometimes there are 'crisis apparitions' which appear before or at the moment of a loved one's death, if the viewer is not in the same place as that person. They seem similar to ghosts except the subject is living at the very same time. If not tied to death, it could be a parallel universe where we also exist that is for some reason overlapping or it could be time replaying or maybe a shadier option of some interdimensional being having a creepy joke, who knows! Thanks for the tale!

Edited by DancingCorpse
  • Like 1

Excellent story. Just curious, on a scale of 1 to 10, how certain would you say you feel that it was him?

i would say about a 9 it really shocked me when it happened it seemed like it was just him leaving and looking at me funny but that smile just wasnt right something was odd about it and i was certainly shocked when i walked in the house and he was standing right in front of me in his chair and he had been there all along.

Welcome to the forum :)

Firstly, as Coldethyl suggested, memories from a long time ago can be clouded and shook about sometimes, so there's the possibility it was formed from a fragment from a tv show, dream, story etc and built up with the emotions. Though conversely, a memory such as that seems very peculiar and sometimes they stick in the mind for a reason. If it is indeed true, or has a slither of truth, it is very odd!

There are continually reports of doppelgangers that are observed, many swear to have seen themsevles o_O Sometimes there are 'crisis apparitions' which appear before or at the moment of a loved one's death, if the viewer is not in the same place as that person. They seem similar to ghosts except the subject is living at the very same time. If not tied to death, it could be a parallel universe where we also exist that is for some reason overlapping or it could be time replaying or maybe a shadier option of some interdimensional being having a creepy joke, who knows! Thanks for the tale!

thank you, it is truely something odd it could be any one of those things im not sure im hopeing maybe it was just a slip up in dimensions and not anything sinister. i enjoyed hearing your ideas and viewpoints man so far im loving this community! thanks for all the help everyone.

No problem, it was a riveting account. This place is full of the stranger side of the world it's a great place to peruse!

I'm starting to wonder if I have a doppelganger or whatever. A man walked up to my car yesterday and knocked on the window smiled and said hi like he knew me then walked on. I've never seen the man before in my life. This isn't the first time something like this has happened but I always thought maybe they vaguely knew someone that just looked a lot like me. That has happened to me before.

Oh wow that kinda gave me chills,it's a strange world I dont think we are the only ones on this earth...and Welcome :st^_^

I think it is a very layered place we inhabit, sometimes it's easier to listen to the news and be distracted and forget that existence is more complex than we'll ever even begin to comprehend. Quite humbling yet fascinating to be tangled in the web of it all :D

Hi and welcome! :)

One thing I have noticed is that there are people who have the same features as others.For example, one time my best friend came up to me and said that she thought I was in a bar she was at the night before and when she went up to the girl in the bar she couldn't believe how similar we looked. I was not at the bar that night.The bar was a mile from my house.My friend asked me if I had a twin sister, which I do not. We all have someone who looks damb close to what we look like, I was just surprised this girl lived so close and I never met her! Maybe the man in the vehicle just looked similar to your grandfather but not quite and that's what freaked you out.

I have people tell me I look like someone they know all the time.

Faces vary a lot but some people just look like other people. There's only so much to a face.

did he have a twin brother?

nope