Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeologist sues over Indiana Jones

Still Waters

Dr. Jaime Awe claims the skull was stolen from Belize 88 years ago, and that filmmakers had no right to use a model of it in 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

In a lawsuit filed in Illinois this week, Awe is demanding the return of the Crystal Skull, which he says is a national treasure, from a treasure-hunting family who allegedly stole it, said the industry journal Friday.

But the legal action also targets Lucasfilm, its new owner the Walt Disney and Paramount Pictures which released the film by Steven Spielberg, for allegedly using a replica "likeness" of the skull.

http://www.timeslive...s-crystal-skull

Little slow on the uptake ,isn't he ?

And the Mitchell hedges skull ? And only after Disney buys Lucasfilms ?

Yah ok .....

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

The defense lawyer can just say the skull is modeled from the skull on display in London.

Duh.

so you cannot use the likeness of a skull ? Art classes will never be the same....

It's so bull****. We witness the "likeness" all the time in daily life, like the spoons you use, the clothes you wear

Does he really think he'll win a case like this? Because if he does, I think he should get checked out, because he's about to lose a lot of money trying. The "likeness" of an object, which no one person can patent. Were does all this petty stupidness end?

If you google the real skull, you'll see it bears little resemblance to the movie skull.

I think what he's truly concerned about is the fact it was stolen, and I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to do something so dirty.

Atleast I hope thats the main problem.

Edit: Goddamned typo's.

Edited by Insaniac

Little slow on the uptake ,isn't he ?

And the Mitchell hedges skull ? And only after Disney buys Lucasfilms ?

Yah ok .....

Exactimundo.

And even if the law in Belize is radically different, he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. First, all but the M-H skull have been proven to be modern fakes and that only because no-one's been allowed to examine it. (which might be his ulterior motive come to think of it) That kills all of his intellectual property claims outright.

Second ,even if it didn't , he would still have to prove that the artifacts are genuine and that they were removed from the country illegally.

Third, I have never heard of intellectual property rights being imposed on an ancient artifact. I can walk into almost any museum in almost any country in the world and take a photograph except where specifically prohibited and publish that photo freely. Fourth, even if all that didn't apply, the Indiana Jones skull is only influenced by the other skulls. It differs radically and is therefor considered a derivative work, exempt from copyright and immune to trademark infringement as no trademark has been established let alone enforced.

They should fine this jackass for filing a frivolous lawsuit and wasting the court's time and the taxpayer's money..

Edit to add, I'd be willing to bet statute of limitations has expired on this too if it applies.

To add also, the specific IJ skull design is actually copyrighted to lucasfilm, etc., but it doesn't fall under any prior copyrights, and they didn't even invent the idea of alien crystal skulls.

Edited by Oniomancer

That was a fictional movie, for God's sake.

Who cares what "likeness" was used for the skull?

Dang lawyers anyway.

Wow does that mean I will get sued for making a mug in art class. :w00t:

just another scummy scam artist looking for money. sue this one, sue that one, sue everyone and maybe you'll get rich enough to pay the lawyers.

there is absolutely no proof that any of the skulls are 'ancient' artifacts. there is no way to actually date chrystal. If it is a likeness of anything it is the likeness of every man woman or child on this planet and is based on a human skull. To me it sounds like a money grabbing scam but it gives the move good publicity. I could claim it is my own likeness because my own skull looks like it....we all could.

just another scummy scam artist looking for money. sue this one, sue that one, sue everyone and maybe you'll get rich enough to pay the lawyers.

looks that way if it looks anything like the cups they use in Belize.....LOL

Geez... you'd think they would want to sue someone that made a movie that was actually good....

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

Isn't it the likeness of a human skull? Or at the least the likeness of a likeness of a human skull... I don't think any human can own the rights to that.

I do not profess to be any kind of expert on legal matters, especially of a foreign country. But I believe (and please feel free to correct me) that in England, the loser of a lawsuit has to pay the court costs of the winner. While there are certainly legitimate lawsuits, this approach would certainly limit the number of nonsense or frivolous suits that are brought every year. It would be interesting to see the number of lawyers per capita, by country. I would guess those with the U.S. type system are awash in lawyers, while those like England have fewer.

In any case, how one can patent the idea of a crystal skull is beyond me. Have you ever been in a rock shop? They have skulls of various sizes in every conceivable mineral including clear rock crystal quartz. He might as well sue every rock shop in the world as well.

• Like 1

Ok is you can sue over a likeness. does he serious think he can win. Dinsey didn't steal the skull. There are photos all over the internet of the skulls and that is public domain. If I remember correct the movie skull looked more alien than human. Good luck *******

PHkP4lnoEYF1nr_1_m.jpg

indiana jones crystal skull

26953742_121129774741.jpg

F.A. Mitchell-Hedges Skull,

Hmm, were is the likeness??

• Like 1

they are both shiney!

Seems to me no matter what the legal system this guy hasnt a leg to stand on. There is no actual likeness between the 2 skulls and even if there was Lucas Film was not responsible for the alleged removal of the MH skull from the original dig (if you believe it is a real find) and there is enough circumstantial evidence it was actually made in France to Mitchell- Hedges specifications. Im just not sure if he is greedy and stupid or smart and its some sort of publicity wheeze and he has a book coming out.