Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Goddess instead of God

Grandpa Greenman

Has this Council (IIRC) (never heard of it) informed the catholic church in Rome? or the Head of the Church of England? Or any of the other State Reglions of the world?

Note that Wearer said "prior to". The resolution of this council, the Nicene Creed, is the basic tenet of all Christianity.

What other people think of as God I think of as a positive, intelligent energy that permeates everything; we live in it, it lives in us, and don't think of it as a gender at all. But when I do ceremony I always evoke the feminine or the female aspects of that energy. It makes for awesomely beautiful altars, with pretty fabric, flowers, representations of the moon & stars, Yemoja the Yoruba goddess of the ocean and Olokun, the goddess of the deepest part of the ocean, incense, goddess statues or representations, river stones. Uh oh, I think my altar-building gene just kicked in!

• Like 1

Do you think the world would be different if rather than following a God the Abrahamic religions viewed the Divine as female rather than masculine? Mother rather than Father. What if Jesus or Mohammad would have been a women?

For some reason I believe The Holy Mother of Christ was visited by an angel before the immaculate conception, even though there are similar stories, not exact but similar. Those other stories have caused me to turn somewhat away from my faith but over the years everything else just felt so empty without christ.I do believe in him very much so.

edit:why is there no spell check on this forum?

Edited by Reann
  • Like 1

For some reason I believe The Holy Mother of Christ was visited by an angel before the immaculate conception, even though there are similar stories, not exact but similar. Those other stories have caused me to turn somewhat away from my faith but over the years everything else just felt so empty without christ.I do believe in him very much

Ditto

Sounds like my Dad, he to was an atheist. I miss him. He was a great story teller with a singular sense of humor. I know a lot of atheist, more than I do Christians. One is a musician. I find logic and creativity go hand in hand most of time.

Sounds like my people too. The older generation people I know are mostly athiest and my generation are mostly christian.. I am extremely glad for my upbringing (not being raised in the church). I am starting to see the older generation become more spiritual, in thier youth (when I was growing up) they didnt consider it at all but were very into human rights. I come from a political activist family...

I love my life and all the people god has put in it....

Edited by SpiritWriter

For some reason I believe The Holy Mother of Christ was visited by an angel before the immaculate conception, even though there are similar stories, not exact but similar. Those other stories have caused me to turn somewhat away from my faith but over the years everything else just felt so empty without christ.I do believe in him very much so.

I dont know, but 8 years and 10000 posts along, it still annoys me. Not so much spelling but typo errrors are a pain. People say to write in word and spell check, then copy and paste, but that also is time consuming and a PITA to someone who had to learn their typing and word processing skills after a half a century and is completely self taught.

I dont know, but 8 years and 10000 posts along, it still annoys me. Not so much spelling but typo errrors are a pain. People say to write in word and spell check, then copy and paste, but that also is time consuming and a PITA to someone who had to learn their typing and word processing skills after a half a century and is completely self taught.

Patience is a virtue - typos are like stutters, everyone has them from time to time but it's no excuse to not listen and discern the message being imparted. What matters most is that people can be heard (or read) and their thoughts acknowledged and valued, if not agreed with.

• Like 1

I use this one. http://www.iespell.com/ My spelling is awful. Y'all would have no idea what I was writting about without it.

Patience is a virtue - typos are like stutters, everyone has them from time to time but it's no excuse to not listen and discern the message being imparted. What matters most is that people can be heard (or read) and their thoughts acknowledged and valued, if not agreed with.

OH i didnt mean OTHER people's typos. They dont worry me at all. I can decipher a 13 year old's hand written scrawl or wildly incorrect but spell checked words in a report essay etc. No, i was referring to my own incompetence. :innocent:
  • Like 1

Do you think the world would be different if rather than following a God the Abrahamic religions viewed the Divine as female rather than masculine? Mother rather than Father. What if Jesus or Mohammad would have been a women?

The end result would have been the same. Gender does not matter as much as people like to think
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use this one. http://www.iespell.com/ My spelling is awful. Y'all would have no idea what I was writting about without it.

For some reason spell check is working now for me on this site. I didn't add it , it just appeared. Let me just say that , I've been insulted a lot online about my grammar . maybe I ought to brush up on it. I place commas where they don't belong, maybe because i place them as though I'm talking, I often pause when i talk when something else comes to my mind, lot's of thoughts and ideas, but really bad grammar skills , that's my problem.

Edited by Reann

The end result would have been the same. Gender does not matter as much as people like to think

I think gender does matter, but not as if anyone is better than anyone , or closer to God because of their gender, but yeah, i do think it matters , and not solely because of reproduction either .I think everything matters .I think there's a reason why Christ was male and not female .

What other people think of as God I think of as a positive, intelligent energy that permeates everything; we live in it, it lives in us, and don't think of it as a gender at all. But when I do ceremony I always evoke the feminine or the female aspects of that energy. It makes for awesomely beautiful altars, with pretty fabric, flowers, representations of the moon & stars, Yemoja the Yoruba goddess of the ocean and Olokun, the goddess of the deepest part of the ocean, incense, goddess statues or representations, river stones. Uh oh, I think my altar-building gene just kicked in!

I think your alters sound beautiful but in all respect, I know in my heart that there is only one true God ,and all of nature is like an image of God's identiy.

I like the balance, too, that a goddess & her male consort, both equally important, bring to the game. And of course, the terms god & goddess & consort are metaphoric in nature.

Why limit God with our human characteristics? I see God as a complete unified being with masculine and feminine traits of personality.

What if Jesus or Mohammad would have been a women?

They'd be arguing even more. hahaha! hahahahaha!

Edited by Order66

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think this has anything to do with God being male or female, more to do with man's lust and need for fulfilling his desires!

Edited by Mistydawn

Note that Wearer said "prior to". The resolution of this council, the Nicene Creed, is the basic tenet of all Christianity.

Duly noted

how human of us to attach gender roles to our deities

JGirl, I totally get your point, but unfortunately with the Christian Biblical texts that state God is your Father, Mary though human was female.

There is no mention of a Mother in Heaven, only God the Man-Father.

Why limit God with our human characteristics? I see God as a complete unified being with masculine and feminine traits of personality.

Isn't that what humans are?

Isn't that what humans are?

Rephrasing: God contains the full integration of all traits which humanity divides into masculinity and femininity (and probably some other traits of which we can't conceive).

Rephrasing: God contains the full integration of all traits which humanity divides into masculinity and femininity (and probably some other traits of which we can't conceive).

I can accept that as likely. In my understanding, in christian theologygod did not create MAN in gods image but humanity. Not necessarily in any physical resemblance, but in terms of what it means to be self aware and able to think at a human or more complex level. As an evolutionist I think that god and humans both evolved similar traits and chaacteristics which allow us to recognise and commuicate with each other. I understand god and perceive "him" best as a male because i am a male. if i was a woman I would, perhaps, perceive and understand god as a woman

I can accept that as likely. In my understanding, in christian theologygod did not create MAN in gods image but humanity. Not necessarily in any physical resemblance, but in terms of what it means to be self aware and able to think at a human or more complex level. As an evolutionist I think that god and humans both evolved similar traits and chaacteristics which allow us to recognise and commuicate with each other. I understand god and perceive "him" best as a male because i am a male. if i was a woman I would, perhaps, perceive and understand god as a woman

The closest person to Jesus was a woman, Mary of Magdala, if we can rely on the bible and gnostic texts, as companion, confidant and messenger. Mary has been much venerated over the years as, with Mary the mother of Jesus, she replaced the missing feminine element which had been so important to most previous religions. Jesus's attitude to women was clearly a major factor in his mission and his treatment by the Jerusalem authorities.

The closest person to Jesus was a woman, Mary of Magdala, if we can rely on the bible and gnostic texts, as companion, confidant and messenger. Mary has been much venerated over the years as, with Mary the mother of Jesus, she replaced the missing feminine element which had been so important to most previous religions. Jesus's attitude to women was clearly a major factor in his mission and his treatment by the Jerusalem authorities.

A woman yes, probably. Though most likely she was a child who had just come to puberty and was around the age of 11 or 12.

Jesus's attitude to women or girls, could be seen to be that he didn't quite appreciate the men in his life.