Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sir Patrick Moore passes away.... [merged]

TSS

:( Truly there was no one like him, and no one who possibly could be like him.
  • Like 2

RIP Sir Moore. A true legend and the only person I think can compare to your contribution to bringing Astronomy to the people would be Sir David Attenborough with his nature docunentaries. Thank you.

• Like 3

:( Truly there was no one like him, and no one who possibly could be like him.

I second that. Very sad news :(

Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore looked for all the world as if he would live forever on his BBC programme, The Sky At Night.

He passed away peacefully at his home in West Sussex, a statement from his friends and colleagues said.

Sir Patrick was a television eternal, a man who lit up our screens for over 50 years, illuminating us with his knowledge of the celestial bodies glittering in the night's sky and entertaining us with his uniquely eccentric style.

http://tv.uk.msn.com/features/sir-patrick-moore-legendary-bbc-astronomer-dies-aged-89

So sad. He is part of the reason I came to love wondering about the stars and galaxies. Used to stay up very late as a kid to watch his show.

Rest in Peace Patrick.

The Sky At Night was the longest-running programme with the same presenter in television history. Sir Patrick will be sorely missed.

• Like 1

A sad day, & for once somebody who actually deserves the praises given to him.

• Like 1

such a shame i was only watching the sky at night last night on the iplayer. when i think astronomy i think Sir Patrick Moore.

• Like 2

one of the greats gone. i'll miss him, i love watching the sky at night, it wont be the same without him. :no:

• Like 1

Sir Patrick is responsible for countless numbers of people becoming interested in astronomy, not just through his TV appearances but through the dozens of books he wrote.

In my case it was not Sir Patrick that got me interested in all things space related, it was watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon when I was three years old. It was, however, reading his books and watching the Sky at Night that kept that interest alive.

I have been lucky enough to have met Sir Patrick several times. The first thing you noticed was the size of the man, he was 6'3" and huge, but his personality was bigger still. In the talks and lectures I attended the only thing more impressive than his knowledge and enthusiasm was his sense of humour.

The world of astronomy lost a great today, not so much for his scientific contributions but more for the huge contributions made by those who he inspired to look to the skies.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 3

The Sky At Night was the longest-running programme with the same presenter in television history. Sir Patrick will be sorely missed.

I agree he will be sorely missed...He is a legend

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

A true legend, what he didn´t know about the moon could be written on the back of a postage stamp!

He will be sorely missed, I grew up following the "Sky At Night"... a Gentleman Scientist if ever there was one. and... self taught, but the USA and (then) USSR used his research and knowledge to help their own missions to the moon.

I salute you Sir

• Like 3

Me and a friend were lucky enough to have a private 'lecture' on a couple of occasions by the great Sir Patrick over the phone.

We were out at around 2-3am one morning with his 10" or 12" telescope checking the skies out, admittedly we had had a skinful that night as it was a weekend and had been in the pub earlier.

Anyway my mate decides to phone the big man up in the middle of the night. We figured he's an astronomer, of course he will be up looking at the sky, and sure enough he answered his phone and remembered my friend by name from a previous conversation they had in person a month or so before. (when he gave him his number)

The gentleman was a true legend. How many people would give out their private number to a complete stranger in his early 20's and tell him it is OK to call him anytime if he needs any help.

He was incredibly helpful, and went way beyond our initial questions. He came across as a really decent bloke, asked us how we were and what had we been observing, and everything seemed to be easy to understand. At one point I called him Mr Moore, and he kinda chuckled like a kid and said. "no, no, no, no, no. Patrick is fine!"

Yeah, he was a legend. I'll never forget the man!

I do hope that they celebrate his life properly at some point. I'd have no complaints if they renamed the Moon after Him! :tsu:

Rest in Peace Sir Patrick.

• Like 4

I used to watch his show. His enthusiasm was infectious its the reason I started stargazing. He is an icon of science and he will be missed. Rest in peace sir. :nw:

• Like 1

a very sad day generations have shared in his passion, when the news came through yesterday he was trending on Twitter for hours, RIP Sir Patrick Moore one more star added to the sky he loved so much.

• Like 1

I used to listen to his talks on the radio when I was at school....RIP Sir!

Me and a friend were lucky enough to have a private 'lecture' on a couple of occasions by the great Sir Patrick over the phone.

We were out at around 2-3am one morning with his 10" or 12" telescope checking the skies out, admittedly we had had a skinful that night as it was a weekend and had been in the pub earlier.

Anyway my mate decides to phone the big man up in the middle of the night. We figured he's an astronomer, of course he will be up looking at the sky, and sure enough he answered his phone and remembered my friend by name from a previous conversation they had in person a month or so before. (when he gave him his number)

The gentleman was a true legend. How many people would give out their private number to a complete stranger in his early 20's and tell him it is OK to call him anytime if he needs any help.

He was incredibly helpful, and went way beyond our initial questions. He came across as a really decent bloke, asked us how we were and what had we been observing, and everything seemed to be easy to understand. At one point I called him Mr Moore, and he kinda chuckled like a kid and said. "no, no, no, no, no. Patrick is fine!"

Yeah, he was a legend. I'll never forget the man!

I do hope that they celebrate his life properly at some point. I'd have no complaints if they renamed the Moon after Him! :tsu:

Rest in Peace Sir Patrick.

That's a great story.