Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shoplifting Mother Killed by Walmart Security

notoverrated

Aren't cops trained to think rationally?

No. They're not. They are trained to stop anyone at any cost. To them we are just dogs to be gunned down at any time. They are not "nice" and they are not our friends. You so much as sniff at them and they will taser you..or worse.

They don't care about your life because to them everyone is a potential criminal and they will kill you if they think they might have seen something.

Anyways..regardless of the theft, this incident went wrong on all levels. The kids are without a mother and the mother of the victim is without her child. But..I guess that is ok..you know, collateral damage and all. It's all in the name of justice of course.

Edited by Ryu

Wal Mart hires real cops, in police uniform with guns, to patrol the parking lots?

Help me, I'm Canadian.

Yes as extra security some do. The cops aren't there 24/7 but they will be outside in patrol cars. I don't believe all Wal Marts do it. Before my dad retired he did security for the local Wal Mart. They feel the police presence is a deterrent to shoplifters. They also have the plain clothes employees who watch for shoplifters who are not armed inside the store who are paid hourly. That's what my brother does.

No. They're not. They are trained to stop anyone at any cost. To them we are just dogs to be gunned down at any time. They are not "nice" and they are not our friends. You so much as sniff at them and they will taser you..or worse.

They don't care about your life because to them everyone is a potential criminal and they will kill you if they think they might have seen something.

Anyways..regardless of the theft, this incident went wrong on all levels. The kids are without a mother and the mother of the victim is without her child. But..I guess that is ok..you know, collateral damage and all. It's all in the name of justice of course.

Until you need one. My dad was a cop. Everyone knew him and liked him. He didn't carry a tazer and he never killed anyone. He was however shot out of the blue for pulling a guy over for having expired tags because the guy thought he was being pulled over for a domestic crime he'd just committed.

You don't like them? Don't call them ever. For anything. You have a break in or get in a car accident, suck it up.

• Like 3

Yea ok dude. You know, it's people like this that are ruining our country. The problem is that we never hear the stories about police officers saving lives, or helping protect this country. We hear the stories like these, where an officer has to make a quick decision that ends up being the wrong one. Then we have people like this that bash the officers who are putting their lives on the line for us citizens.

Its kind of sad if you think about it. Our society would be way worse off if we didn't have police officers, but still they get bashed for doing their job and making tough decisions that have to be made. Unfortunately, once those decisions are made, they cant be taken back. So why not show these heroes some respect? God knows they deserve it for having to put up with crap like this...

• Like 2

Yea ok dude. You know, it's people like this that are ruining our country. The problem is that we never hear the stories about police officers saving lives, or helping protect this country. We hear the stories like these, where an officer has to make a quick decision that ends up being the wrong one. Then we have people like this that bash the officers who are putting their lives on the line for us citizens.

Its kind of sad if you think about it. Our society would be way worse off if we didn't have police officers, but still they get bashed for doing their job and making tough decisions that have to be made. Unfortunately, once those decisions are made, they cant be taken back. So why not show these heroes some respect? God knows they deserve it for having to put up with crap like this...

Exactly. Not everything is black and white.

Skateboarding is not a crime! mentality.

Since police officer took an oath and swore to protect and serve, it means they are essentially at the cities disposal and they will do whatever necessary so they do not violate that oath they took, you guys do recall that african american plain clothe cop who was shot and killed by one of his own in New York after he ran after the mexican guy who was going through his car, that black plain cloth cop had a gun while running after the real criminal but i believe that plain cloth cop didn't tell the dispatcher he was an armed plain clothe police officer and so when the other cops pulled up one of them shot at him.

A similar thing happened to an asian cop here in Minneapolis that was doing a drug bust in plain cloth so when the drug dealer sensed something in the plain cloth cop and shot at him and ran the vest saved him but his arriving backup opened fire on the already shot plain cloth asian cop even though dispatcher said suspect was black, and he was shot with an unauthorized machine gun by one of the cops but luckily he survived and got a $4 million dollar settlement but a few years later he took his own life sadly so that settlement will get inherited by his own family.

When I was security for Wal-Mart I was told this(the undercover that Coldethyl stated, was really a fun job), Let them go the camera's will be enough to get enough information for the crime to be resolved. It is safer to let them go and handle it after the fact. Life isn't replaceable like material objects and violence has a tendency to affect sales in a negative light.

The guy was playing cowboy for no good reason. Stealing is a fine and some jail time not death. The guy wanted to play judge, jury and executioner, he wasn't a(acting like a) cop at that moment and shouldn't be treated as such. (Unless of course she was trying to kill the guy while trying to get out which I doubt)

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 5

Aren't cops trained to think rationally? Then again I didn't watch the video and don't want to, as it sounds awful. A mother gunned down infront of her child is never the right thing to do.

I think defending himself while being dragged between the door and seat of a moving vehicle is pretty rational. If I felt that my life was in danger like that, I wouldn't care if the pope was in the car. Shots will be fired.

So you are saying that he should have just let himself be dragged to death by theives? That wouldn't have the same traumatic effect on the children in the car?

You don't like them? Don't call them ever. For anything. You have a break in or get in a car accident, suck it up.

:tu: well said. I have friends that are police officers and some of the stories that they tell me are truly unbelievable.

I think defending himself while being dragged between the door and seat of a moving vehicle is pretty rational. If I felt that my life was in danger like that, I wouldn't care if the pope was in the car. Shots will be fired.

So you are saying that he should have just let himself be dragged to death by theives? That wouldn't have the same traumatic effect on the children in the car?

Well, like I said I haven't watched the clip as it sounds awful, but if the woman was trying to kill him then shooting to incapacitate would be the best thing he could have done, I think. Sounds like a really bad situation for everybody involved: Officer gets squashed, criminal gets murdered, children lose their mother.

Now, could running down the cop have a traumatizing effect on the children? It's possible. Though I'd have thought hearing loud "BANG's" and noticing ones mother has just been killed would have a further traumatic effect on them.

However this being said, I wish I could say I've met some nice cops. I've met curious officer's before but thats about it.

As for Ryu, we can't blame him for his disgust at police officer behavior regarding the news and Youtube, especially if he lives in America. Seems the majority of cops there are psychopaths and Youtube contains the proof.

Take care and peace out.

Well, like I said I haven't watched the clip as it sounds awful, but if the woman was trying to kill him then shooting to incapacitate would be the best thing he could have done, I think. Sounds like a really bad situation for everybody involved: Officer gets squashed, criminal gets murdered, children lose their mother.

Regardless of which is more traumatic, who put the children in that situation in the first place?

• Like 1

As for Ryu, we can't blame him for his disgust at police officer behavior regarding the news and Youtube, especially if he lives in America. Seems the majority of cops there are psychopaths and Youtube contains the proof.

No, please, present me with this proof. Show me that the majority of American officers are psychopaths. How can you even make that statement if you don't even live here? That's like me saying that British officers are stupid for not carrying firearms. I can't make that decision without living there and actually knowing what life is like over there. You're stereotyping America and it is unwarranted

• Like 2

Regardless of which is more traumatic, who put the children in that situation in the first place?

Theft doesn't justify murder, Biff.

Even if the officer was between the seat and the door, he should've either forced himself into the vehicle or let go. It's better than taking a life.

Like I said, this was a really bad incident all around: Store gets robbed, officer almost gets injured, woman gets gunned down, children left traumatized.

• Like 1

Theft doesn't justify murder, Biff.

Even if the officer was between the seat and the door, he should've either forced himself into the vehicle or let go. It's better than taking a life.

Like I said, this was a really bad incident all around: Store gets robbed, officer almost gets injured, woman gets gunned down, children left traumatized.

I agree that it's a bad situation all around. It's just too bad that the children had a mother that put them in that situation in the first place.

• Like 2

No, please, present me with this proof. Show me that the majority of American officers are psychopaths. How can you even make that statement if you don't even live here? That's like me saying that British officers are stupid for not carrying firearms. I can't make that decision without living there and actually knowing what life is like over there. You're stereotyping America and it is unwarranted.

If majority of police were do-gooders, whats there to get offended over?

I had 4 pages worth of US police brutality videos, but UM won't allow me to post due to 'too many media files.' Deleted all but 5 and still wouldn't let me post the links. Sorry.

Youtube is full of evidence. If you want your proof, it's all stored there.

• Like 1

I was going to reply in regards to what someone said to or about me but thought it would be pointless.

All I will say is that you can not "un-kill" someone no matter how hard and loud you pray, scream and chant.

Dead is dead..forever. It's not a video game where a potion brings them back. No reset button, no anything.

An object can be replaced but a life..in this case a mother...her life is gone, regardless of what she has stolen her kids no longer have mommy and what's worse is they had to witness her killing.

They will learn something but it is not going to be what we think.

Edited by Ryu

I was going to reply in regards to what someone said to or about me but thought it would be pointless.

All I will say is that you can not "un-kill" someone no matter how hard and loud you pray, scream and chant.

Dead is dead..forever. It's not a video game where a potion brings them back. No reset button, no anything.

An object can be replaced but a life..in this case a mother...her life is gone, regardless of what she has stolen her kids no longer have mommy and what's worse is they had to witness her killing.

They will learn something but it is not going to be what we think.

They'll probably learn intolerance & bias towards police officers, and after a case like this, who can blame them?

I don't know where everyone is getting this " the officer was between the seat and the door" from. I haven't heard anything like this said. Did I miss something I shouldn't have?

I don't know where everyone is getting this " the officer was between the seat and the door" from. I haven't heard anything like this said. Did I miss something I shouldn't have?

I think Biff first mentioned it. Either that or I'm going insane. I didn't want to watch the vid, so I can't really say what happened.

It was on a radio news report that I heard on my way into work the other morning. I just found this to back it up.

Andrews began to drive away while the deputy was standing between the open door and the driver's seat.

'She threw it in reverse and tried to run over the deputy,' said Harris County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Deputy Thomas Gilliland.

LINK

Edit to add this from the same article: So it looks like we may have more confused about this than originally thought

Inside the car as it was speeding away were two small children - investigators have said that they were not Frey's children.

Edited by BiffSplitkins

Shot her in front of her kids? Holy pancakes that's low. ..Those kids will never be able to shake that vision from their minds.. It will haunt them. I know the mother put them into horrid situation of shoplifting.. but I don't think her or the kids expects that? ... I didn't know security guards had guns !!

Edited by Beckys_Mom

They were not her children. She was a violent thief who tried to run into the cop when she got caught. It is terrible that she was killed. The poor security guard. I'm sure he didn't mean to kill her. She ended her own life, ruined the security guards. And also her children's lives. Or maybe they are better off without her. If this is how she lived imagine how they would grow up?

• Like 2

Even if they are not her kids.. Fact is- They would still be in shock watching someone get shot, it could still traumatise them, it can also haunt them for a long time .... Any child who witnesses killing or extreme violence is too much.. No kid should watch any form of violence or killing, regardless of the situation.. I wouldn't even argue with my husband if my kids were present...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

Agreed BM. Thanks for the info Biff. Why would the officer go that close to the car? Let the cameras do the work. That's what they're there for.

• Like 1

Wow tragic indeed, in the UK we have a let them leave policy, especially with all the clear crisp CCTV footage, its gets circulated to every store and when they show up at the next store get arrested..simple, It appears the off duty cop took his part time job a bit too seriously.

• Like 2

Why would the officer get that close to the car?

How about to apprehend and/or detain a suspect that is in the midst of committing a crime? While cameras CAN be good tools, most security cameras are for crap - and you will be lucky to tell what color or make of vehicle the suspects were in. If you have problems telling what kind of car it is, do you honestly think you can make a positive ID of a person? Not hardly.

Once the car started in motion, it became a deadly weapon - and the cop was justified.

Sure... it's ALL the cops fault that the kids witnessed someone getting shot - thank you for completely dismissing the fact that the dead woman was allegedly involved in a robbery, assault and attempted murder of a security guard (who happened to be an off-duty cop). You're completely ignoring any possible culpability on the part of the THREE women involved.

The security guard was doing his job. He got that close to the car because he expected her to stop. Not to run him over. What in the world was she thinking.

Why would the officer get that close to the car?

How about to apprehend and/or detain a suspect that is in the midst of committing a crime? While cameras CAN be good tools, most security cameras are for crap - and you will be lucky to tell what color or make of vehicle the suspects were in. If you have problems telling what kind of car it is, do you honestly think you can make a positive ID of a person? Not hardly.

Once the car started in motion, it became a deadly weapon - and the cop was justified.

Sure... it's ALL the cops fault that the kids witnessed someone getting shot - thank you for completely dismissing the fact that the dead woman was allegedly involved in a robbery, assault and attempted murder of a security guard (who happened to be an off-duty cop). You're completely ignoring any possible culpability on the part of the THREE women involved.

The three women who were there with children. Any responsible adult. Would have thought of what the kids would be experiencing.