Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we closing in on Bigfoot?

keninsc

A .357 or .44 revolver may be better suited for boar, grizzly, black bear, and mountain lion.... if six rounds aint enough... well...

A shotgun to their face will stop all of these. It won't stop Bigfoot supposedly.

Well, I live in the Southeast, but I've hiked all over the US and I've always carried my trusty .45 ACP. I've not encounterted lions or Grizzly bears......and take my word for it, if you aim properly a .45 will stop, drop and roll most anything North America has to offer. The best part of carrying one is it makes a hell of a noise, which very often is all you need.

However, if I go Bigfoot hunting.......which I'm hoping to do before too long. I plan to aquire a Mossberg, 12 Ga, pump action shotgun with 20 inch barrel, heat shield, folding stock, with flip up sights in an 8 +1 confuration, in stainless steel. I will be loading up with 3" magnum, sabot slugs, in 1 3/8 OZ. Take my word for it, that will slide a chargeing elephant backwards at full charge, hit a Biggy center mass and put one through to pump and all I have to worry about is the Bigfoot Body Recovery Team. That's what everything else is for.

I saw where some so called "expert" claimed that shotguns were no matchg for a Biggy, but as I recall he didn't actually carry any firearms with him..........or have any knowledge of firearms. So what's he know? Now if I'm having a bad day and my aim is bad then I'm pretty much boned, but that's the risk you take every day.

• Like 1

I don't believe we're closing in on Bigfoot because I don't believe Bigfoot exists.

Of course any thing is possible. Probability obviously is another matter. When I was younger I wanted to believe in aliens, Bigfoots, the supernatural and all manner of ancient and unexplained mysteries. Again, while anything is possible that youthful desire to believe has faded.

If Bigfoot exists, so too like the Loch Ness Monster, I believe we'd have found hard evidence by now.

There's nothing wrong with having that opinion, at least on this board. However there are some that if you are anything but a card carrying believer they will ban you from the site. Then they have a ton of touchy-feelly rules, which I suppose make them feel all superior or something, or are just what they use to ban subjects.

I used to not believe so much that Bigfoot was real, total skeptic. Then I became "open" to the possibility when I had two friends tell me of their own encounters. Mind you, these were not just people I didn't know, but guys I knew well and personally and these guys were completely serious about what they saw. Then once I experienced a smell, like I have never encountered before, I never saw anything or heard anything, but the smell I smelled and described to one of my friends he said was like what he smelled when he had his encounter. I call it Body odor on steroids, or a group of smelly Frenchmen.

Now, none of this is proof of nothing and is more anecdotal than anything else, and it isn't meant to be anything other than a story about what I experience and how I came to be open where Bigfoot is concerned. Since you don't know the guys odds are the stories simply will not mean anything to you and that's perfectly ok. Strangely, Bigfoot is the only crypted creature I put much stock in, Nessy and all the others I don't dwell on very much.

Well, I live in the Southeast, but I've hiked all over the US and I've always carried my trusty .45 ACP. I've not encounterted lions or Grizzly bears......and take my word for it, if you aim properly a .45 will stop, drop and roll most anything North America has to offer. The best part of carrying one is it makes a hell of a noise, which very often is all you need.

However, if I go Bigfoot hunting.......which I'm hoping to do before too long. I plan to aquire a Mossberg, 12 Ga, pump action shotgun with 20 inch barrel, heat shield, folding stock, with flip up sights in an 8 +1 confuration, in stainless steel. I will be loading up with 3" magnum, sabot slugs, in 1 3/8 OZ. Take my word for it, that will slide a chargeing elephant backwards at full charge, hit a Biggy center mass and put one through to pump and all I have to worry about is the Bigfoot Body Recovery Team. That's what everything else is for.

I saw where some so called "expert" claimed that shotguns were no matchg for a Biggy, but as I recall he didn't actually carry any firearms with him..........or have any knowledge of firearms. So what's he know? Now if I'm having a bad day and my aim is bad then I'm pretty much boned, but that's the risk you take every day.

Okay, but I hear boars are armored and shot placement is essential and there is nothing worse than a wounded bear. That shooting a bear requires the shooter to put them down for good (they're resiliant) or they will go on a murderous rampage. And remember there is no guarantee of a one shot stop!

GLIDE, Ore. -- Aaron Wyckoff didn't start to panic until his .45-caliber pistol quit firing, and the bear kept chewing on his arm.

So, he recalls, he tried to pull the bear's jaws apart. Then he tried to roll down the ridge where he and the bear were wrestling. But the bear grabbed his calf, pulled him back and went for his groin.

Wyckoff said he countered by shoving his pistol and his hand into the bear's mouth. But by then, the struggle in the Cascade Range in Southern Oregon attracted the attention of Wyckoff's party, and other hunters rushed over.

Justin Norton fired a round from his .44-caliber pistol into the black bear's stomach, to no avail. He approached the bear, put the gun behind its ear and fired again. It finally rolled away.

"I walked right up to his head, and he didn't even look at me," said Norton, 26.

With the dying bear still struggling, a final round finished him off.

"He was dead. He just didn't know it," Wyckoff said. "It was just all adrenaline."

Wyckoff was helping friends track a wounded bear May 31 on the last day of the hunting season.

Fifteen-year-old Chris Moen of Glide, who had drawn the tag, hit the animal in the shoulder with a .338-caliber rifle round, but he and his father couldn't pick up a trail of blood.

They called on Wyckoff and friends to help track it. A few hours later, Wyckoff went up a hill for a view.

He heard a rustling in the bushes behind him, then a grunt. The bear had apparently circled around the group.

"We never even heard him," said Wyckoff.

Wyckoff said he fired a round into the bear's forehead, but the animal kept coming and climbed on top of him. From beneath, Wyckoff said, he got off three more rounds.

Then he tucked the gun beneath the bear's chin. But it quit. Wyckoff, left-handed, said he had accidentally released the ammunition clip.

After the attack, Wyckoff sat still, not wanting to move for fear the bear had ruptured the femoral artery in his groin. Mustering the courage to look down, he saw his shredded jeans, but not much blood.

At the hospital, a surgeon sewed him up, astonished that the bear had missed every major artery, as well as Wyckoff's tendons.

After two days in the hospital, Wyckoff was discharged, with orders to stay home from work for at least two weeks.

His right arm remains bandaged. Silver staples hold gashes together.

His .45 is covered with teeth marks but still works.

The bear weighed more than 260 pounds after field dressing. It has since been sent to a taxidermist.

Wyckoff said he's grateful for his friends' quick actions and that he stayed firm when his 10-year-old son tried to go along that day.

Would Wyckoff hunt down another bear?

"Oh yeah," he said. "Fall bear season starts back up in August."

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Man-survives-struggle-with-black-bear-in-Oregon-1276350.php?source=rss

Here's what hunters think about it...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/47652-Brown-Bear-Stopping-Power-45-auto-vs-44-magnum

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-130163.html&&

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-398007.html&amp&

One, boars aren't armored, They do have a large layer of fat around them, but it's fat......not armor. However as with any large attacking creature shot placement is important. A .45 ACP threw the skull will stop any boar so long as you can remain calm and aim under pressure. I personally recommend "Hard ball" type ammo for more effective penetration. Bears are pretty much the same way, one in the head or the pump and they are as good as dead.

The key to stopping any attack creature is to remain calm, aim carefully and quickly, never squeeze off all the round in your magazine at one......you do have to allow time for the creature to die and if worse comes to worse have a fall back position........a tree you can climb and your spare magazine handy.

Anytime you run up on a female with a cub the maternal instinct is going to kick in and very often you'll not see them. So, unless you're specifically hunting a BIgfoot, I suggest you use a whistle blown periodically to alert the bear. That way you can avoid having to shoot in the first place.

Edited by keninsc

Okay, but I hear boars are armored and shot placement is essential and there is nothing worse than a wounded bear.

Merely a quick note:

Adult male bears (genus Ursus) are known as boars.

This terminology is not to be confused with that applied to pigs/hogs (genus Sus). Adult boars of the genus Sus do, indeed, have a heavy cartilaginous "plate" protecting the chest and front quarters. Ursids do not.

Which is why I don't advocate shooting them in the chest but in the skull.

One, boars aren't armored, They do have a large layer of fat around them, but it's fat......not armor. However as with any large attacking creature shot placement is important. A .45 ACP threw the skull will stop any boar so long as you can remain calm and aim under pressure. I personally recommend "Hard ball" type ammo for more effective penetration. Bears are pretty much the same way, one in the head or the pump and they are as good as dead.

I am speaking about the boar's shield, here is an article below:

Wild boars are like many other (male) wild animals in that they will tangle over the affections of the fairer sex. Nature has however given them some additional padding over the fairer sex to prevent them from tearing each other to shreds. This bony cartiledge is most commonly referred to as the boar's shield. This armor helps prevent the tusks of mature males from penetrating into the vitals of their rivals (usually). I'd heard of such a thing before going on my first wild hog hunt in Georgia about 5 yrs ago, but didn't really think much of it after shooting a meat hog with my M88/.308 and seeing the shot had given full penetration and dropped the less than 100 pound hog in it's tracks. Tough shield, what tough shield?

Fast forward a couple of years and my first opportunity at a truly large boar. This day found me sitting in my ladder stand and holding a Marlin M1894 in .44 mag which was stoked with 270gr Gold Dots at about 1700 FPS. Plenty of hog medicine I'd figured in this thick Georgia swamp. The hog presented himself at about 45 -50 yds and I took careful aim at a spot just behind his right ear as he stood broadside. Down he went, up he got. I aimed quickly now at the middle of his shoulder. Down he went, up he tried to get, now facing a full 180* out from his initial position.

As he tried to regain his feet, I continued to fire two more 270gr SPs into his exposed underside. Now, finally he was quiet and had stopped his struggling. Likely all four shots were fired in under 15 seconds, perhaps even 10 seconds. I reloaded, got down to walk over to my big boar and just before I was about to poke him with my gun barrel, I decided instead to throw a small stick at him. Now, I'd already whistled a few times trying to illicit a response, but had seen nothing to indicate he might still be alive. That little 8" stick sure got a response, however as he immediately tried to regain his feet again.

I quickly added a 5th 270gr, fired through mid neck, at a range of 10' or less. Within about 15 seconds or so, he became quiet and I figured he'd finally given it up. It was way after full dark by the time he was loaded and driven back to camp in the guide's P/U. The next day we set about to cape him out and discovered a few very interesting things. First, the initial shot had indeed hit him squarely about 4" behind the ear and that bullet lie against his neck vertebra, but had quite obviously not broken his neck.

Shot #2 was tough to find and we did not know it's true whereabouts until we "un-shielded" his right shoulder and found that bullet lying tight against his right shoulder bone. This wound had not even bled. Not one drop. It did, however, spin him around and allow me two more quick shots to his underside, at least one of which took out one or both lungs apparently. Those shots seemed to kill him, but shot #5 was still needed as he thrashed around again as I walked up, and he tried once again to regain his feet.

The shield on this large boar was well over 2" thick in it's thinnest sections and over 3" thick in some areas. The shield will barely dimple if hit with a hammer. The head and cape of this boar weighed over 100 pounds, due in part, to this thick shield of gristle plating.

If you are going after large boars simply one word of caution; be sure to pack enough gun and also to use proper loads. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

See the recovered bullets below.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/tips/what-about-shield

Well, I live in the Southeast, but I've hiked all over the US and I've always carried my trusty .45 ACP. I've not encounterted lions or Grizzly bears......and take my word for it, if you aim properly a .45 will stop, drop and roll most anything North America has to offer.

If you aim properly. When something is coming to kill me, I would not rely on my marginal shooting skills for a mortal head shot. Police have been attacked by Pit Bulls and blasted their brains out of their skulls. It still takes two pairs of hands to pull the dead animal's jaws off of the cop's shredded thigh.

The best part of carrying one is it makes a hell of a noise, which very often is all you need.

And has a hell of a recoil if your first shot misses and you need to take another shot.

No, if Bigfoot is coming at me I will choose to cower behind a shotgun!

Shooting a bigfoot is all mute anyway. As we will soon only have water guns at our disposal. I'm not feelin' squirt gun success though...

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

If you aim properly. When something is coming to kill me, I would not rely on my marginal shooting skills for a mortal head shot. Police have been attacked by Pit Bulls and blasted their brains out of their skulls. It still takes two pairs of hands to pull the dead animal's jaws off of the cop's shredded thigh.

And has a hell of a recoil if your first shot misses and you need to take another shot.

Having an angy bear or boar barrelling down on me, I would prefer a shotgun too. Loaded with slugs of course.

But bigfoot, a two legged upright target, I think a shotgun loaded with .00 buckshot may suffice especially with multiple shots.

A shotgun gives me great comfort where a pistol requires alot more skill especially under a high stress ... fight or flight scenario. Well, the latter choice is a poor choice to make anyways because then you are providing a prey response to the beast.

That's because most police, sadly, carry either the most wimpy round known to man, the 9mm, or if they upgrade to the .41 then they're often limited by projectile weight. They, Police Departments, often are required to restrict caliber size to prescribed bullet weight. Odds are he was carrying 175 grain bullets in .41 caliber. And the head shots obviously didn't happen until after the dog locked on. Coupling that with the fact that they also carry them in a fricking Glock. Now don't get me wrong, if you like the Glock them by all means carry one, if I carried a pistol day in and day out then I might consider a Glock as well...........not! However, you give me a choice between a Glock and just about anything else and odds are I'll go with the anything else. I don't care for it myself and don't recommend it to anyone.

I've had people tell me all the time that the .45 ACP has this nasty kick, and to this day I haven't a single clue what they're talking about. The beloved 1911A1 saved my old shriveled up ass in Nam on more than one occasion and I now carry a stainless steel version made by S&W, the 4506. Which I love and has never failed to stop whatever I've needed to stop with it. Mostly Dawgs and Hawgs, and I've only had to drop the one hawg. Granted, I've never encountered a Bear of either species and to be very honest with you, I hope never to have to put what I'm saying into practice.

Now, on the subject of Bigfoot, I have no idea.......honest. This thing is, according to reports, and stories told around the campfire between six and ten feet tall and weight between 600 and 1000 Lbs and again according to who's story you believe then very possibly as strong as a gorilla and incredibly fast. If half of this is true then I'm opting to reply on an old adage, "If a little is good, then more is better and too much is just right.". I'll be packing a 12 ga loaded with 3" magnum, 1 3/8 Oz, sabot slugs. That will effectively stop a full grown African Elephant at full charge and not only stop him but slide him backward. Configured as I described earlier it's light weight and easily carried. Just for the record I took one like it only not in stainless to Nam......unfortunately it's still there because when I got wounded my buddies split up my gear..........damn Jarheads got my Kabar too.

Edited by keninsc

Having an angy bear or boar barrelling down on me, I would prefer a shotgun too. Loaded with slugs of course.

But bigfoot, a two legged upright target, I think a shotgun loaded with .00 buckshot may suffice especially with multiple shots.

A shotgun gives me great comfort where a pistol requires alot more skill especially under a high stress ... fight or flight scenario. Well, the latter choice is a poor choice to make anyways because then you are providing a prey response to the beast.

I completely agree, however unless you are at point blank range then buckshot may not give you the penetrating power you'll need to get to the vital organs and I can't tell you what the muscle density of a Bigfoot is or how it's internal organs are arranged. If you're more than fifteen yards from this creature I don't have a great deal of faith in buckshot. That's just me. Past twenty yards I don't have a great deal of faith in it on humans to be honest with you due to loss of energy and pattern spread. Of course, that's going to depend on things like barrel length and choke configuration

That's because most police, sadly, carry either the most wimpy round known to man, the 9mm, or if they upgrade to the .41 then they're often limited by projectile weight. They, Police Departments, often are required to restrict caliber size to prescribed bullet weight. Odds are he was carrying 175 grain bullets in .41 caliber. And the head shots obviously didn't happen until after the dog locked on. Coupling that with the fact that they also carry them in a fricking Glock. Now don't get me wrong, if you like the Glock them by all means carry one, if I carried a pistol day in and day out then I might consider a Glock as well...........not! However, you give me a choice between a Glock and just about anything else and odds are I'll go with the anything else. I don't care for it myself and don't recommend it to anyone.

I've had people tell me all the time that the .45 ACP has this nasty kick, and to this day I haven't a single clue what they're talking about. The beloved 1911A1 saved my old shriveled up ass in Nam on more than one occasion and I now carry a stainless steel version made by S&W, the 4506. Which I love and has never failed to stop whatever I've needed to stop with it. Mostly Dawgs and Hawgs, and I've only had to drop the one hawg. Granted, I've never encountered a Bear of either species and to be very honest with you, I hope never to have to put what I'm saying into practice.

Now, on the subject of Bigfoot, I have no idea.......honest. This thing is, according to reports, and stories told around the campfire between six and ten feet tall and weight between 600 and 1000 Lbs and again according to who's story you believe then very possibly as strong as a gorilla and incredibly fast. If half of this is true then I'm opting to reply on an old adage, "If a little is good, then more is better and too much is just right.". I'll be packing a 12 ga loaded with 3" magnum, 1 3/8 Oz, sabot slugs. That will effectively stop a full grown African Elephant at full charge and not only stop him but slide him backward. Configured as I described earlier it's light weight and easily carried. Just for the record I took one like it only not in stainless to Nam......unfortunately it's still there because when I got wounded my buddies split up my gear..........damn Jarheads got my Kabar too.

But now you've added another dimension to the equation -- training and combat experience. Well, I have had no training or combat experience, would it be safe for me to go hiking in boar or bear country with a .45 ACP much more shoot one with that marginal caliber? Probably not.

I think it would be best with a shotgun or a hunting rifle or carry a magnum revolver. Because I want to give myself the least margin of error with the highest one shot kill probability.

I completely agree, however unless you are at point blank range then buckshot may not give you the penetrating power you'll need to get to the vital organs and I can't tell you what the muscle density of a Bigfoot is or how it's internal organs are arranged. If you're more than fifteen yards from this creature I don't have a great deal of faith in buckshot. That's just me. Past twenty yards I don't have a great deal of faith in it on humans to be honest with you due to loss of energy and pattern spread. Of course, that's going to depend on things like barrel length and choke configuration

You're right, but I am thinking of an emergency scenario, on a trail or in the dense woods. In other words relatively close range. I would startle the bigfoot away with a harmless shot in the air my "boomstick" first depending on position of the bigfoot in relation to my own.

Grizzly Bear with a Bow....

Bowhunting%20Grizzly%20bear%20-%20Randy%20Ulmer.JPG

Lion with a bow...

Vinny%20Beranco%20Lion(1).jpg

Any questions?

Is that you Sakari? Very impressive. The only thing ive ever killed is a spider about an inch in diameter.

I have however killed a musk ox, a bison and numerous foxes on Cabelas alaskan adventures for the xbox.

I highly doubt that counts though.

What does it feel like to kill a beast like that?

It's sort of understood that you have to be your own judge of your own "experience", however, it's a trade off you can carry a Barrett M107, but it's heavy and will take you a while to get ready. Just saying, there's a limit to protection versus your ability to carry.

It's sort of understood that you have to be your own judge of your own "experience", however, it's a trade off you can carry a Barrett M107, but it's heavy and will take you a while to get ready. Just saying, there's a limit to protection versus your ability to carry.

Barrett M107 is overkill. But a nice bolt-action or leveraction rifle can be readied relatively fast. Or a shotgun. With the use of a sling.

In my opinion the best rifle for hunting Bigfoot is an AR15 chambered in .458 socom. It has the same size and weight as any other AR and hits just as hard as a 12guage 1oz slug.

Barrett M107 is overkill. But a nice bolt-action or leveraction rifle can be readied relatively fast. Or a shotgun. With the use of a sling.

My point exactly, but then any not worth over doing isn't really worth doing at all. :whistle:

My point exactly, but then any not worth over doing isn't really worth doing at all. :whistle:

Not if the boar or bear is seconds from goring or mauling, then it is absolutely necessary. One has to compensate for possible margins of error with the highest one shot kill probability. One wants to put that animal down and down QUICK!

But a Barrett M107, who would sling or carry this monster for a hike in the woods? That's .50 caliber?!

In my opinion the best rifle for hunting Bigfoot is an AR15 chambered in .458 socom. It has the same size and weight as any other AR and hits just as hard as a 12guage 1oz slug.

Holy Crap! Nice weapon, however there are a couple reasons I'd pass on it. First reason is raw cost, the rifle alone is around $1500.00 when you can find them, the rounds are expensive as all get out. And......this is actually the biggest issue I'd have with it and that's that I'd be tempted to take a longer shot and possibly shoot a guy in a Ghillie suit. The further away you are then the less likely you are to be able to confirm your target. As far as self protection goes, that's a single issue. However, I would also be hunting for a Bigfoot. The Mossberg configured as I described is light weight, durable, accurate and compact and with the ammo I described, will give me kill power out to a maximum of 50 meters. Yeah, I know I can shoot further than that but 50 meters is my own self imposed maximum range for making sure I'm not shooting some idiot in a bloody monkey suit or another hunter in a Ghillie suit who's changing positions.

The base Mossberg will run me a bout $500 - $600.

Modifications (folding stock and flip up sights, installed) will run about $300

Ammo: Brenneke 12 Ga 3" 1 3/8 ounce lead sabot slug $11.95 per box. I'd most likely opt for the 40 round case.

Now, while the rifle you mention is a true jewel and a pleasure for any gun enthusiast to own, it's a little too rich for my pocket book and I can be completely ready to go for under the base price of the rifle.....including ammo and a MOLIIE carrying case. I'm just saying.

Not if the boar or bear is seconds from goring or mauling, then it is absolutely necessary. One has to compensate for possible margins of error with the highest one shot kill probability. One wants to put that animal down and down QUICK!

But a Barrett M107, who would sling or carry this monster for a hike in the woods? That's .50 caliber?!

Yes, .50 BMG.

God Bless John Moses Browning. May he rest forever in peace. Crossing myself and I'm not even Catholic.

Yes, .50 BMG.

God Bless John Moses Browning. May he rest forever in peace. Crossing myself and I'm not even Catholic.

Um... I still dont get it, excuse me keninsc. So somebody can plug bigfoot from over a mile away from from their back deck? :w00t: