Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

offenders get Christmas cards from Police

glorybebe

Police in Abbotsford, B.C., are trying a new tactic this holiday season to get chronic criminals to turn their lives around — Christmas cards featuring a Santa Claus dressed like a member of a SWAT team.

The Santa figure is wearing a bulletproof vest and a helmet marked "Police," and wielding an automatic rifle.

The text on the front of the card reads, "Which list will you be on next year?"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/12/10/bc-christmas-cards-for-criminals.html

Too funny! I wonder if it will work, though?

That is funny, but it's also stupid.

Just trying to intimidate them and what will that do? It will annoy most of them and will probably make the annoyed ones more willing to break the law on purpose. Nobody likes threats.

I actually thought the card was going to be nice and they would try a sort of "care bear" tactic of spreading love to try and defrost their hearts a little. But as usual the police prefer intimidation tactics. :td:

• Like 2

***SNIP*** that is sooo creepy!!!

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
3c. Profanity: Do not use profanity, crude, vulgar language or attempt to intentionally bypass the profanity filter
  • Like 2

That's borderline harassment if you ask me.

• Like 4

They can't honestly think for a second this is going to be the cause of an epiphany? Really?

LOL, you never know! After all the bad rap that the police have been getting lately, I guess they thought to try something new. :w00t:

Too funny! I do agree with biff and Coffey about borderline harrasment and getting the opposite result than they say is intended.

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree. That's borderline harrassment for sure, and I'm one who actually doesn't have a problem with law enforcement in general.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree. That's borderline harrassment for sure, and I'm one who actually doesn't have a problem with law enforcement in general.

When you're talking about someone with a problem with law enforcement in general you mean me don't you?

When you're talking about someone with a problem with law enforcement in general you mean me don't you?

Oh no! It was a general comment of my own feelings not directed at you at all !

I just liked your comment and wanted to add to it. :yes:

Locally police have been doing this for years, and recently with the local media set up a Badvent Calendar of mugshots

• Like 1

Oh no! It was a general comment of my own feelings not directed at you at all !

I just liked your comment and wanted to add to it. :yes:

I know I was just kidding Pal.

You going on the good list or the prison b**** list.

Hahahahaha. :tu:

When I saw the title I thought of an Andy Griffith epi where Andy and Barney got Christmas cards from the State Pen from some guys they'd put there :) It brought a smile. THIS is guaranteed to bring a frown :(

• Like 1

if they really want to do something good why not send them a real greeting card that shows that someone might just give a crap about them beyond the trouble they're in.

this is just a slap in the face as well as a waste of taxpayer money.

Well, now....

But Carleton University professor Darryl Davies says the initiative borders on harassment and police time would be better spent enforcing the law.

“I found it absolutely mind-boggling, to be blunt,” said Davies. “I think the police in Abbotsford have too much time on their hands.”

Davies said the mail-out “shows a complete ignorance of what the justice system is all about in this country.”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/12/11/bc-gun-toting-santa-christmas-card-reax.html

• Like 1

On the card instead of having a Santa dressed up in swat gear they should have had a nice Christmas picture on the front saying " this is what happens at Christmas - when you are good . Then when you open the card it has a prison "shower & soap " scene in it , saying " this is what happens - when you are bad "

This might help also curb the prison intake :cry:

TiP.

That is funny, but it's also stupid.

Just trying to intimidate them and what will that do? It will annoy most of them and will probably make the annoyed ones more willing to break the law on purpose. Nobody likes threats.

I actually thought the card was going to be nice and they would try a sort of "care bear" tactic of spreading love to try and defrost their hearts a little. But as usual the police prefer intimidation tactics. :td:

What did you expect from the police? :td:
  • Like 1