Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gary Wilcox Dirty Little Secret

topsecretresearch

[media=]

[/media]

An actual interview of Gary Wilcox. At the end of the interview he states there were other things the aliens told him he could not reveal. He says for his own personal reasons. When asked what did it concern? Wilcox replied it was about the aliens being here.

Btw. "Dirty little secret" is a pun. Gary Wilcox was a farmer and the short alien wanted soil samples.

Edited by topsecretresearch

It was the same day as the Lonnie Zamora sighting in New Mexico--April 24, 1964.

April 24, 1964 Gary Wilcox, Newark Valley, NY 10:00 A.M.

Two 4-ft.-tall beings, silver-white garb, egg-shaped craft just above ground; beings communicated in English.

April 24, 1964 Lonnie Zamora, Socorro, NM 5:45 P.M.

Two 4-ft.-tall beings, white garb; beings fled into egg-shaped craft when spotted (see section V).

http://www.nicap.org/occupants_hall.htm

I know it sounds kooky and weird, and I can never say it definitely, positively happened. Much less can I vouch for the veracity of anything the "occupants" said, only that the guy's son told me it was all true, and he didn't seem like a guy who was crazy or just out for money and publicity.

We're talking a Middle American farmer type here, and the last thing in the world I can picture them doing is making up a story like this if it didn't happen. It's just not in character for them to do that, if you know the type. These are the type of people who say "Yup" and "Nope", and if they shake hands and give your their word, it's good. That's the type of people they are, and I can't imagine anyone less likely to make up a story like this.

"At about 10 a.m., on April 24, 1964, a 27-year-old farmer named Gary Wilcox was out in one of the fields of his 300-acre farm spreading manure at Newark Valley, New York, when he noticed something unusual over by the edge of the woods. Curious, he drove his tractor over for a closer look.

He initially suspected that it was perhaps a fuel tank or something from a plane. As he walked up to it he could tell it was slightly off the ground, but wasn’t sure how it was suspended there, whether on some sort of legs or whatever. He described it as oblong shaped, resembling an egg, and that it was approximately 20 feet long, 4 feet high, and 15 or 16 feet wide.

He stated that he thumped it, even kicked it.

He determined that it was definitely metallic, with an aluminum color. The surface was smooth, with no rivets or seams visible, and when he touched it he detected no vibration, there was no sound, nor was there any sensation of heat or anything else out of the ordinary. Then two men, both about 4 foot tall, came out from underneath it, and they had what resembled a metal tray about a foot square that was filled with alfalfa, roots, soil, leaves and brush. The men were dressed in some sort of white or metallic suits. No part of their body was showing.

Wilcox said that for the first few minutes he didn’t say much of anything. He was frightened, and he suspected that someone was playing a trick on him. When asked what the beings first said to him, Wilcox stated that one of the beings seemingly told him “Don’t be alarmed, we have spoken to people before.”

In a prepared statement Wilcox recalled, “Their voices did not sound like a voice I could describe. I could understand what was said but cannot tell whether they were speaking English or not.” Then they proceeded to ask him about what he was doing, asking for him to explain about the tractor, manure spreader, and manure itself. He claimed that it turned out that they were very interested in organic substances as Mars (where they allegedly claimed to be from) was rocky and not fit for growing anything.

Wilcox said he answered their questions for two hours. During that time he learned that they had been watching him for sometime.

Wilcox said he asked the beings if he could go with them. They turned down his request, stating that their atmosphere would be too thin. They added that they avoided congested areas on earth because of automobile fumes, as it seemingly interfered with the performance of their vehicles. They preferred operating in areas where the air was clean.

Meanwhile, the strange men, who had approached within a few feet of Wilcox, seemed interested in farming practices, and when Wilcox mentioned how he used fertilizer, they wanted to know about it. He offered to get them a bag of fertilizer to take with them, but they did not want to wait around for him to do so.

Soon the men got back into their craft which quietly rose into the air with a noise he described as comparable to a car motor idling. The UFO slowly glided off and then just disappeared from sight to the north, at an estimated distance of about 150 feet.

Later that afternoon, Wilcox took a 75 pound bag of fertilizer and left it near a small tree near where the UFO had landed. When he checked the next morning he found the bag of fertilizer was gone.

During their conversation, the little men allegedly told Wilcox astronauts John Glenn and Virgil Grissom and two Russian astronauts would die within a year, something to do apparently with exposure to the elements of space.

Although Glenn is still alive and well, Grissom and two others died in the tragic Apollo capsule fire of January 27, 1967, and Russian astronaut Vladimir M. Komarov was killed when his capsule’s parachutes didn’t open upon re-entry on April 24, 1967, exactly three years after Wilcox was given the alien prediction.

Psychiatrist Dr. Berthold E. Schwarz gathered much background information on this case and followed up with an extensive interview of Wilcox at his home on October 18, 1968. Dr. Schwarz was extremely impressed with Wilcox’s obvious background and evidence of stability, integrity, honesty, and intelligence.

A detailed chapter length review of his investigation of this case can be found in his two volume book, UFO Dynamics (Rainbow Books, 1983)."

http://www.ufocasebo...wilcox1964.html

Edited by TheMacGuffin
  • Like 2

I had people in my family who were exactly like them, and if you were to ask me if they'd ever make up a story like this, I'd say "not in a billion years." So even though there's now way I can swear that it's all "true", I believe it really happened.

Wilcox did report this sighting to the police and the FBI and Air Force also learned about it. Evidently the soil samples from the landing site had radiation levels above normal.

He did not learn about the Zamora case until May 11, 1964, but many people have noted the similarities. Nor did he ever take any money for his story or go out of his way to publicize it.

http://thenightsky.org/wilcox.html

I have. I read about it a few years back. Thanks for posting that 'Guff. Makes you wonder if these guys just used Mars as a default answer since they know our knowledge of the universe is elementary, especially back then.

• Like 1

I have. I read about it a few years back. Thanks for posting that 'Guff. Makes you wonder if these guys just used Mars as a default answer since they know our knowledge of the universe is elementary, especially back then.

I have grave doubts about the honesty and truthfulness of many of our "visitors", since it's very clear that their real agenda here is not open contact. They have shown off their presence quite a bit, but if they had wanted to tell us the truth about who they really are, where they come from, what they want and so on, they would have done it a long time ago.

Maybe they think we are too backward and primitive to be able to deal with that, or maybe that's simply not their true agenda at all.

[media=]

[/media]

An actual interview of Gary Wilcox. At the end of the interview he states there were other things the aliens told him he could not reveal. He says for his own personal reasons. When asked what did it concern? Wilcox replied it was about the aliens being here.

Btw. "Dirty little secret" is a pun. Gary Wilcox was a farmer and the short alien wanted soil samples.

Hi TSR, thanks for posting this case as I had not heard of it before! :tu:

I always enjoy reading about these old claims, as I find that a good percentage of them are quite believable. But alas, I have to say that I am just not feeling that for this claim.

In my humble opinion there are just too many discrepancies in the tale!

ie...The described dimensions of the 'object' hardly brings to mind the shape of "an egg"?[20 x 4 x 15-16 ...weird shaped eggs in Newark Valley?], and just as puzzling is the witness' statement about height of the object off the ground?....He stated that he only noticed that the object that he had walked 100 yards toward, "was off the ground" when he was in close proximity to it! Did he have his eyes closed?, or was the object only just clearing the ground?...in which case, how was it that "two 4ft 'martians' came walking from beneath it,carrying sample trays"?...If the object was more than 4ft off the ground, then why could he not see the 'landing-gear/legs' that he later claimed to have left " pairs of 2.5 inch impressions" at the scene? ...not to mention that his claims to have "thumped and Kicked" the object seems a little odd to me if the object was so high from the ground?

As to 'the meat of his story' in which he claims that the "Martians" were intensely interested in earthly 'farming methods', 'tractors', 'manure-spreaders' and even 'manure itself' for two hours, and that they were interested because 'Mars' was not fit for growing!..why all the questions, when they admitted to have been keeping Wilcox under surveillance for ..."sometime" ?...[does this part of the story sound like a pretty juvenile imagination to anyone?]...And then without much ado, they gey back into the object and flew away! [how did they enter the object?]...only to return sometime later to purloin a 75lb bag of fertiliser!

The next alarm bell that rings out loudly in my ear , is the actual reporting of the 'close encounter'!

Although the event is supposed to have occurred on Friday April 24th, [the very same day as Lonnie Zamora's famous Socorro Incident]...Wilcox simply went back to his 'milking duties' and told no one of this 'earth-shattering event'...except for a phone-call to his mother!..and the next time that Wilcox spoke about the event was to a neighbour, Miss Priscilla Baldwin [whom incidentally had been a RADAR operator during WWII]...She apparently had heard of the encounter via the local gossiping , and was so enthralled that she "Sat with Gary and took detailed notes" on April 28th!

...4 days later!!

And then we have to roll-on another day to the 29th of April, when Miss Baldwin accompanied Gary to the site of the encounter, where she took some pictures and collected some samples of rocks and leaves. But was unable to find any of the 'red dust' that Wilcox had claimed the object left behind, because "recent rain had eliminated it".!

And then it was 'Miss Baldwin' that contacted 'Officer George Williams' at the local county sheriff's office in Tioga while Gary 'the witness' Wilcox went back to doing his farming chores. And it was Miss Baldwin that gave the Officer the story and showed him around the 'incident-scene' on two consecutive days . [April 29th and May 1st]..[Officer Williams borrowed Miss Baldwin's note book until the 7th of may.].And it was on the second day of the 'investigation' that Officer Williams found Mr Wilcox in the barn and asked if he was willing to come to Owego that evening and give a formal statement?...Gary agreed , and at 7pm that evening went to Owego and duly gave it!

When Officer Williams had filed the report, 'Sheriff Taylor' then contacted the FBI and the BMA Coast Air Command.

And then after, there are a few claims from Wicox of the FBI censuring of parts of the story...and that the civil defence found higher than normal radioactivity in the soil samples...a claim that was never independently confirmed!

And the first time that the alleged-encounter was published in the media was dated 8th May 1964 in the Owego Times...while Gary's local paper the 'Tioga County Herald' was apparently oblivious to the story and didn't cover it until the 15th of May?

Anyway you can see what i'm getting at can't you?...Two separate but similar UFO/ET encounters on the exact same day!...one in New Mexico , and one in Newark Valley!...The New Mexico event made such a profound impression on the witness [a Police Officer ] that he was on the radio the same day , recounting his encounter with possible aliens in a Egg Shaped craft!...And the Newark Valley witness didn't recount his story to anyone [with the possible exception of his mother] for 4 Days!!?[and even then, ..had to be pushed into it by a neighbour that has stated that owing to her RADAR work during the war, she firmly believes in the ETH]

Gary Wilcox claims that he was only made aware of the Zamora's encounter at Socorro on May the 11th, when his father pointed it out to him in a newspaper....but as we know, Lonnie's story was big news on all of the papers and radio stations for a full week before that!...Are we asked to believe that Gary Wilcox had really seen or heard nothing about the other Egg Shaped interplanetary craft that was piloted by two "Small People" on the same day ??

Also there is the fact that Wilcox never told Miss Baldwin or Officer Williams of the depressions from the objects landing gear that he later remembered was there, and so was never investigated!

And finally....in his account of the event, Wilcox said that he had driven up the field to within 100 yards of the object in his tractor...and did so again 5 days later on the 29th of May, when accompanied by Miss Baldwin, leaving clear tyre marks!...but Officer Williams points out that no corresponding tyre marks from the original journey on the 24th of May could be found!?

No!...I'm afraid that for me, this case is nothing more than a poorly executed copycat-encounter!...And I know that there is no real basis for me to come to any conclusions as to the originator of this hoax...but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, if the whole thing was actually the brainchild of Miss Priscilla Baldwin, and not Gary Wilcox!..and I could easily see that her much relied upon notes that can be examined here...

http://www.ignaciodarnaude.com/avistamientos_ovnis/Schwarz,Landing%201964,Gary%20Wilcox,New%20York%20State,FSR-SI%201969%20N%203,UFO%20Percipients.pdf

...were in actual fact, the script that she drafted for Gary to learn his lines.[but then again....that might be a bit of conjecture,.. too far.! :P ]...and as always , this is only my opinion and could be 100% wrong!...[in which case, I unreservedly apologise to all concerned!.]

http://thenightsky.org/wilcox.html

[....The Lonnie Zamora case is 100% bona fide though! :tu: ]

http://www.ufocasebook.com/Zamora.html

Cheers buddy.

As I said, I knew his son and he said it was all true, weird as it sounds. Unlike the Zamora case, there is no physical or trace evidence, at least none that we know of.

I believe it to be true but of course have no way to know that. We know for sure that the Zamora case was real, but lack the same kind of evidence for this one.

As I said, I knew his son and he said it was all true, weird as it sounds. Unlike the Zamora case, there is no physical or trace evidence, at least none that we know of.

I believe it to be true but of course have no way to know that. We know for sure that the Zamora case was real, but lack the same kind of evidence for this one.

Hi McGuffin, hope you are well my friend! :tu:

The reason for my negative feelings [and comments] on the 'Gary Wilcox encounter' is that the whole story just seems concocted and designed to cash in [publicity-wise anyway] on the Lonnie Zamora case, for all of the reasons stated in my post above.There's just too many alarm bells for me...But of course, it's just my opinion and is certainly no more valid than your own!

Unlike you, I do not have the benefit of knowing his son...and I have no reason to doubt the younger-Wilcox' honesty...And I'm sure that if you personally vouch for his integrity, then he must certainly believe what his father has assured him is the true course of events!

However...I will say that my own grandfather used to appear pretty earnest when he was telling me and my younger brother about his days of "ghost hunting in deepest Africa"!...even though my father assures me that the old man's only time spent abroad was in France during the first world war!...You know what I mean McGuffin, ...if I can accept that my own grandfather could 'spin a good yarn' in a perfectly serious manner...then it is easy for me to believe that Wilcox Sr could have strung Wilcox Jr along in the same manner!

btw..did Wilcox Jr convey any more about the alleged encounter than can be found online?

Cheers buddy.

• Like 1

If you are familiar with UFOs then you would know there are a lot of reports of elliptical-shaped craft sometimes referred to as egg-shaped or football shaped. Also CE3's with occupants taking soil and earth specimen samples. As far as nit picking the details such as the dimensions of the craft I don't expect the witness to be 100% accurate. A witness such as a farmer may react differently than someone else.

Details in this case that matches other cases:

• "no seams"
  • metallic appearance
  • short occupants
  • elliptical shape craft
  • Landing traces from landing feet/legs
  • Soil/ Earth specimen samples taken
  • Telepathic/ unconventional communication

The only problem I see is the mention of Mars. The occupants could have been communicating a planet he was familiar with or unwilling to disclose their true origin. It also could have been misinterpretation since the method of communication was unconventional.

Edited by topsecretresearch

If you are familiar with UFOs then you would know there are a lot of reports of elliptical-shaped craft sometimes referred to as egg-shaped or football shaped. Also CE3's with occupants taking soil and earth specimen samples. As far as nit picking the details such as the dimensions of the craft I don't expect the witness to be 100% accurate. A witness such as a farmer may react differently than someone else.

Details in this case that matches other cases:

• "no seams"
  • metallic appearance
  • short occupants
  • elliptical shape craft
  • Landing traces from landing feet/legs
  • Soil/ Earth specimen samples taken
  • Telepathic/ unconventional communication

The only problem I see is the mention of Mars. The occupants could have been communicating a planet he was familiar with or unwilling to disclose their true origin. It also could have been misinterpretation since the method of communication was unconventional.

Hi TSR!

Firstly....Yep, I believe that I am pretty familiar with quite a number of UFO cases. And if you are familiar with UFO reports...you should know that it is essential to engage in a little bit of "nit picking", when considering the merits of any given UFO testimony!...or do you just subscribe to 'uncritical-acceptance' of any claimant's testimony?

Secondly....Aren't you forgetting that the list that you gave with the heading of ..."Details in this case that matches other cases:...are in fact from a completely unsupported anecdote that Wilcox gave to Miss Baldwin 'Four Full Days' after the alleged encounter!...and during that 'Four Full Days' of keeping this earth-shattering event to himself...the 'radio waves and newspapers' were buzzing with the Lonnie Zamora UFO encounter that had occurred , with striking familiarities to the later Wilcox 'claim' on the very same day!...Does that not ring any bells at all TSR?...Similarly, does the fact that Wilcox didn't bother to mention these 'landing traces' [that you find important enough to promote] until after the investigation not seem a tad contrived to you?

IMO...this case though mildly interesting , is no more than a 'bottom drawer probable-fantasy' and is not deserving of any prolonged-contemplation for any serious 'ETH truth-seeker' ...and there are many more worthy historical.. and contemporary cases to be studied!

eg...Are you familiar with "The Stefan Michalak Falcon Lake" case from 1967?

http://ufo-joe.tripod.com/cases/michalak.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_KmdIIgcMg

What do you think of this one then?...I know that as with the 'Gary Wilcox case' it is mainly anecdotal , but at least we do have hospital records of Mtchalak's 'burn-grid' etc!..and for some reason?...to me , ...this guy's story rings true.

Or there is the 'Oscar Huerta Peruvian UFO Dog Fight' of 1980....

http://aboutalien.com/2011/08/peruvian-air-force-pilot-fires-ufo-1980/

...now that is what I consider to be worthy of attention!...what do you think TSR?

Cheers buddy.

Wow...

I sooo want this to be true... but then again, since they're not dropping by and visiting me + they don't seem inclined to take people for joy-rides, I guess it doesn't really matter!

So what do the skeptics think of this one and TheMacguffin's assertion that the witness is trustworthy?

When I checked the link TheMacguffin posted, it reminded me of what I have said in the past, that the sheer number of sightings where actual occupants are involved is very interesting.

I say interesting because in most UFO sightings, a UFO could be many things (not ET)....but when it's parked on the ground and tiny humanoids get out of it, well, the question of what it is is dramatically reduced!

- it basically comes down to if you believe the witness or not... and when there are so many of them, including credible ones... well... that is interesting! :)P

Edited by Paxus
  • Like 1

Here is a link to the account on file with the Newark Valley Historical Society.

http://www.nvhistory.org/Misc.%20Hist.%20Articles.html#twilightzone

If that link doesn't work go to http://www.nvhistory.org choose Misc. Historical Articles from the menu on the left and then click the link labeled: A Newark Valley Farmer's Trip Into the Twilight Zone

There are some differences between what Macguffin posted and the one on file but they seem minor.

One point I find troubling is that the supposed Martian ships performance could be affected by exhaust from Earth Cars.

Hi McGuffin, hope you are well my friend! :tu:

if I can accept that my own grandfather could 'spin a good yarn' in a perfectly serious manner...then it is easy for me to believe that Wilcox Sr could have strung Wilcox Jr along in the same manner!

btw..did Wilcox Jr convey any more about the alleged encounter than can be found online?

It was basically the same story that his father told, although people also noticed that the aliens--if that's what they were--had a psychological effect on Wilcox, Sr.

It seems like they somehow influenced him in subtle ways, telling him to just relax, everything is all right, it's no big deal--nothing to get excited about.

I think they were mainly here to collect samples, although I doubt that they were telling him the truth about Mars. I do believe their "message" about not wanting us up there is space was true.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really do think that Gary's testimony is one of the most important testimonies in ufology. There are incredible tie-ins to this case. And I do 100% think Gary character is stellar.

Great thread especially the info on knowing Gary's son and the blog etc. Way to go!

post-137700-0-12623800-1362502329_thumb.

During their conversation, the little men allegedly told Wilcox astronauts John Glenn and Virgil Grissom and two Russian astronauts would die within a year, something to do apparently with exposure to the elements of space.

Although Glenn is still alive and well, Grissom and two others died in the tragic Apollo capsule fire of January 27, 1967, and Russian astronaut Vladimir M. Komarov was killed when his capsule’s parachutes didn’t open upon re-entry on April 24, 1967, exactly three years after Wilcox was given the alien prediction.

The astronauts were supposed to die from "exposure to the elements of space" which I assume means radiation or something similar - not from problems with rockets.

I'm with 1963 on this one - the details seem a bit sketchy - but it's certainly an interesting story. Farmers are exactly the type of people that can spin a yarn with a straight face and have their listeners completely convinced. I have an uncle that had me believing something totally nonsensical (gullible me) for almost 20 years until I challenged him on it and he admitted he was putting me on.

Interesting case, nonetheless.