Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Portland Mall Shooting

e u n O i a

Yesterday, on Tuesday 11.DEC.2012 another shooting and I think we all seen it coming this year, at least I did.

PORTLAND, Ore. — A masked gunman wearing camouflage opened fire Tuesday in a busy Portland mall, leaving the gunman and two others dead and forcing the mall's Santa Claus and hundreds of Christmas shoppers and employees to flee or hide among store displays.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2280786.html

Austin Patty, 20, who works at Macy's, said he saw a man in a white mask carrying a rifle and wearing a bulletproof vest. He heard the gunman say, "I am the shooter," as if announcing himself. A series of rapid-fire shots in short succession followed as Christmas music played. Patty said he ducked to the ground and then ran.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2280786.html

Currently, he has only killed 2 people. There is a girl in the hospital fighting for her life. The shooter died of a self inflicted gunshot wound. It's sad that all of this happened so close to the holidays but I really saw it coming. I was at the mall last week thinking "damn, there are a lot of people here". It would almost make sense that someone would pick this time to do a mall shooting.

Forgive me if this was posted already... I am learning my way around the boards. I looked and didn't see anything!

• Like 1

Yeah, what a tragedy for everyone involved. :unsure2:

I really wish that these shooters would shoot themselves FIRST instead of last...

Why is the world filled with such paranoid freaks? :cry:

Why is the world filled with such paranoid freaks? :cry:

Because going to the mall during Christmas can get you shot.

Oh just great, I'm supposed to go to the mall today. Next year I intend to do all my shopping online.

I wouldn't worry too much about it Lilly... If you think of all the millions of people that shop in malls/large stores every day at this time of the year, and of how rare it is for some whack job to go on a shooting spree... I would say your odds of coming out all right are pretty darned good ...

Now, if you're talking about traffic problems, parking problems, crowding and mall prices... That's a different story...

Oh just great, I'm supposed to go to the mall today. Next year I intend to do all my shopping online.

On black friday/cyber monday there are really some good deals. I dont really like crowded places anyway so I take advantage of online shopping on those days.

DOesn't it seem like this sort of thing keeps happening? LIke every month or so, we hear about a new one.

Yes, and I might be doing the same as Lilly because I really don't want to be in that moment at the mercy of some crazed gunman.

Yesterday, on Tuesday 11.DEC.2012 another shooting and I think we all seen it coming this year, at least I did.

In what way were any of us supposed to see this coming? What way did you see it coming??

Of course the answer to this is for everyone to carry a gun when they go shopping. Isn't that what the Second Amendment is for???

• Like 1

Sounds like more suburban terrorism opportunity for someone to have his 5 minutes of infamy.

• Like 1

In what way were any of us supposed to see this coming? What way did you see it coming??

Of course the answer to this is for everyone to carry a gun when they go shopping. Isn't that what the Second Amendment is for???

Aww, The second amendment has been taken away from the citizens and replaced with fear of the unknown and a color coded system thanks to the federal government.

My 2 cents,hehe

DOesn't it seem like this sort of thing keeps happening? LIke every month or so, we hear about a new one.

No, it's happening much more then that. We only hear about the nicer areas in which it happens.

• Like 1

Well maybe everyone else walks around carelessly unaware of the world around them? I don't. I went shopping around black friday and thought to myself that it is literally only a matter of time before there is another mass shooting. If what you thought I meant was that we should have all seen this coming at this specific mall, then you misunderstood. I was putting my money on another mall shooting in the Christmas season. You can call me psychic if ya wish. I call it common sense.

And it's really incredibly stupid, in my opinion, that everyone should carry a gun with them shopping.

Edited by e u n O i a
  • Like 1

It's a sign of the times...

As much as I'd like to believe things like this will begin occurring less and less, I have little faith that they will. I think we are still trending in the direction of society succumbing to more and more violence.

It's a sign of the times...

As much as I'd like to believe things like this will begin occurring less and less, I have little faith that they will. I think we are still trending in the direction of society succumbing to more and more violence.

I do agree that we are becoming less and less safe in our lives. I grew up in Baltimore and was robbed at knife point when I was 18. Maybe that just makes me more aware of the violent people I may share my community with. If anyone really thinks that these mall shooters are rare individuals, they are completely wrong.

I do agree that we are becoming less and less safe in our lives. I grew up in Baltimore and was robbed at knife point when I was 18. Maybe that just makes me more aware of the violent people I may share my community with. If anyone really thinks that these mall shooters are rare individuals, they are completely wrong.

Whether they actually carry out the actions of doing something like this, I tend to believe far too many individuals have such violent thoughts run through their mind. While it's one thing for someone to have irrational thoughts when they are angry, it's another thing entirely when they fantasize about over a lengthy period of time.

I know sometimes things like this are random, but often times its a person acting on thoughts that may have played through their heads countless times over.

I don't want to be "that guy," but I feel society as a whole unfortunately stumbled along a more negative path rather than a positive one. And in today's world everything is so in your face that it just becomes too much - the violence, sex, drugs, all those things. It's just too much. You're bombarded with it everywhere.

People become conditioned to such things and they don't even realize it. It's hard for people to do when they've grown up with it since the moment they were born. I thought it was bad enough when I was young, but with the technology we have today it's become so much worse.

I can't imagine what it's like for kids today growing up with so much instant access to everything and all the different venues for them to have these negative aspects of life constantly flashed in front of their eyes.

On an individual basis it can be viewed as something that may not be all that troublesome. When you step back and view things from a societal standpoint, however, you begin to better understand things as they truly are.

• Like 2

Wow.

Care to elaborate?

Or are you just so convinved that if someone in the mall - other than the known shooter - had a gun that day they could've prevented the incident from occurring by firing their own weapon at the perpetrator before anything bad happened that you fail realize all the unfortunate scenarios that could've played out if that had been the case; such as the loss of more innocent lives by the proposed "hero" misfiring and hitting someone other than the intended target, or by firing and causing the perpetrator to then shoot more rounds himself at innocent victims?

• Like 1

By the way the article reads, even if a bystander had a firearm, the whole thing probably went down too fast for any bystander to really do anything. And it's not like I foresaw this happening, but I am utterly not surprised about this happening again before the close of the year.

The whole trend of this is pretty disturbing.

Or, rather than make up all of those scenarios, why not include this one? Someone concealing near him could've taken him out after the initial shots were fired saving shoppers lives rather than having no other options than ducking behind a garbage can. I guess some people prefer to be helpless victims.

• Like 2

Well, we all know what happens when only one person in a crowd of 10s or even 100s has a gun and everyone else doesn't, so I say it's time to see what happens if everyone has a gun.