Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plants communicate using clicking sounds

Abramelin

From my former post:

"However, before you get all concerned, they are 100% sure that plants do not feel the pain when they are cut, since they do not have nerves - So go ahead and bite on that juicy carrot!"

What is pain, exactly? It is the way your body warns you of damage being done to your body. It's a signal you cannot ignore.

I think plants can also sense that damage is being done to them, but their 'alarm bells' are of different kind.

From my former post:

"However, before you get all concerned, they are 100% sure that plants do not feel the pain when they are cut, since they do not have nerves - So go ahead and bite on that juicy carrot!"

What is pain, exactly? It is the way your body warns you of damage being done to your body. It's a signal you cannot ignore.

I think plants can also sense that damage is being done to them, but their 'alarm bells' are of different kind.

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

Lol, that video will be avoided by vegetarians like the plague !!

But this 'vegetable' dseerves to be cut up:

Amazing, but sort of disturbing. Reminds me of the movie "The Happening". lol

Such a great movie. That was my brainstorm.

I was surprised to see bad rate at imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/...b/vi2430796057/

Edit: Nikki dont tell anyone that is better to be outcast, out of group. :tu:

Edited by the L

Such a great movie. That was my brainstorm.

I was surprised to see bad rate at imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/...b/vi2430796057/

Edit: Nikki dont tell anyone that is better to be outcast, out of group. :tu:

I enjoyed it as well. I always imagined it really happening and how that would go.

No one will know. Or believe it if they're told. No worries. :whistle:

• Like 1

@Nikki

Im right now just reading The doomsday book of Joel Levy. http://books.google....AAJ&redir_esc=y

I was surprised that he discuss 28 possobilities to apocalyptic end but he didnt be creative at all. When I buy this book in bookstore I thought hey 28 scenarios but they are all discussed before. Nothing new in book although he bring a new information to me.

Anyway I recently start to seriously research about Gaia theory. I dont know are you familiar with concept. If not here is one of my recent posts.

...This below may contains errors.

We know from our history that science can be dead wrong. So who can said that Sun isnt alive? Or all stars. Then we can ask ourselves did Gaia theory was right? Was James Lovelock right? Why planktons are gathering where we have Ozone hole? Like platelets in blood. Is rivers blood stream of earth? If we have just more oxygen in our athmosphere we would have fire around globe which they would never end. How come that salt in Ocean was right so life could evolve? If you are familiar with concept of black and white daisy. Sun brights more earth produce white diasy. Sun brights less earth produce black daisy. Its theory where life doesnt adopt to enviroment but rather create enviroment. Earth without life would look like Mars or Venera.

Life can effect on temperature of earth. Then sceptics often said : Oh when is meeting of life on Earth about regulating temperature? I said : When is meeting in our body to regulate temperature of our body? Earth right now should be on -20 C as I heard without life on earth because Sun is about 6000 C.(???) So is life a cure? Self mechanism for healing Earth. Are we part of that super organism? Is intelligence cure? Are we disease, tumor perhaps? Is plasma life form role as protein role , enzyms role in our body?

Trees on north are darker then trees south. Why? So they could collect more sun.

Iron in Earth, iron on our blood. EM field connection to DNA. EM field connection to protection of solar winds. Everything is right so you and I could live. I could add to that moon but that would be enough imo so you can get a picture.

Sun is Star, Star is Plsama, Plasma life form is Star so Sun is...O.o

So when I read this I start to wonder where this would fit into story.

About couple years back I watched documentary where people taping plants while they sing. It was some research. Then I wonder too, what if James Lovelock was right?What if we are part of superorganism Earth? What if plants realy can communicate?

Now we found out that they can.

Edit : If Ents try payback I do hope that aint gonna be like in movie. :innocent:

Edited by the L

Yeah, the Triffids used clicking in their communication. We just have to disregard the fact that they were made up. :)

http://www.youtube.c...Qxt40lA#t=4714s

Are they?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gardening/article-1077355/The-real-triffids-The-fast-sprawling-weed-tie-country-knots.html

This is genuinely fascinating, yet not surprising to say the least. I believe every prevailing entity has their own form of communication.

Amazing, but sort of disturbing. Reminds me of the movie "The Happening". lol

I loved that movie, it was nice and dark and creepy.

I took some mushrooms once and the plants were communicating with me using clicking noises . So I guess I believe this,

I've read about Shaman, in altered states, communicating with plants. The plants would somehow 'show and tell' them their medicinal uses.

• 4 weeks later...

“Mother trees” use fungal systems to feed the forest

By Cori Howard

Suzanne Simard always had a fetish for soil. As a kid growing up in the British Columbia Interior, she loved digging for worms. Little did she know that she would spend most of her career exploring dirt. Now a forest ecologist at the University of British Columbia, Simard helped make the major finding, first published in the journal Nature, that trees and plants communicate. She discovered an underground web of fungi that connects trees and plants together and shuttles resources, allowing trees to help one another survive and thrive.

Simard noticed brilliant white and yellow fungal threads in the forest floor. Many of these fungi were mycorrhizal, living in tree roots. Through microscopic examination and experimentation, she realized the fungi were transporting carbon, water and nutrients between trees, depending on which needed it most. “The big trees were subsidizing the young ones through the fungal networks,” explains Simard. “Without this helping hand, most of the seedlings wouldn’t make it.”

Mycorrhizal networks exist in ecosystems around the world (and were featured in the movie Avatar), and Simard’s research has shown that without “Mother Trees” — the big trees that dominate forests and are connected to all other trees — efforts at regeneration often fail. Her latest results reveal that when a Mother Tree is cut down, the survival rate of new seedlings is very low. The implications for the forest industry and conservation groups are huge: conserve Mother Trees and preserve mycorrhizal networks, or we could lose our forests.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/jf11/fungal_systems.asp

• 3 weeks later...

The underground telegraph:

Israeli study shows: Plants 'talk' through the roots

The Ben-Gurion University team discovers plants can transmit distress signals to each other through their roots.

Israeli scientists have uncovered messages transmitted underground - not by enemy agents, but by garden pea plants.

The Ben-Gurion University team discovered that plants can transmit distress signals to each other through their roots. An injured plant "communicates" to a healthy one, which in turn relays the signal to neighboring plants, possibly enhancing the other plants' ability to deal with stress in the future, according to the study, recently published in the periodical PLoS (Public Library of Science One ).

The researchers, headed by plant biologist Ariel Novoplansky of the Mitrani Department of Desert Ecology, exposed five garden pea plants to drought conditions. They found that the stressed plant closes its leaves to prevent water loss. Meanwhile its roots release signals that caused neighboring plants, which were not exposed to drought conditions, to react as if they had been. The study, "Rumor Has It ...: Relay Communication of Stress Cues in Plants," shows the unstressed plants transmitted the information on to other healthy plants.

Preliminary results indicate that plants that receive the distress signals will survive better if exposed to drought at a later stage in their life.

"The results demonstrate the ability of plants and other 'simple' organisms to learn, remember and respond to environmental challenges in ways so far known in complex creatures with a central nervous system," says Novoplansky of the Blaustein Institute for Desert Research.

In some cases the immediate response helps healthy plants to deal with distress that has not yet affected them directly, he says.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/israeli-study-shows-plants-talk-through-the-roots-1.417723

ah crap, so even being Vegan now sucks. :td:

Well, vegans should realize that they live because they kill and eat something else, just like anything else does.

If they became vegans because they objected against killing 'sentient beings' and therefore eat only vegetables, they should reconsider their motives.

I don't get the cabbage thing. So they can emit some gas as a warning to other cabbages that are in the garden or whatever. A warning only! It's not like the cabbage can grab a pitchfork and go all stabbity stab or anything. The warning gas has no real purpose.

I don't get the cabbage thing. So they can emit some gas as a warning to other cabbages that are in the garden or whatever. A warning only! It's not like the cabbage can grab a pitchfork and go all stabbity stab or anything. The warning gas has no real purpose.

Maybe not, could be an equivalent of a scream in pain, but for the 'receiving' cabbage it has: It can create chemicals in its leaves or send certain chemicals to its leaves or wherever to prevent being eaten.

That's why it's best to cook certain plants because that will break down these chemicals.

• 3 months later...

“Mother trees” use fungal systems to feed the forest

By Cori Howard

Suzanne Simard always had a fetish for soil. As a kid growing up in the British Columbia Interior, she loved digging for worms. Little did she know that she would spend most of her career exploring dirt. Now a forest ecologist at the University of British Columbia, Simard helped make the major finding, first published in the journal Nature, that trees and plants communicate. She discovered an underground web of fungi that connects trees and plants together and shuttles resources, allowing trees to help one another survive and thrive.

Simard noticed brilliant white and yellow fungal threads in the forest floor. Many of these fungi were mycorrhizal, living in tree roots. Through microscopic examination and experimentation, she realized the fungi were transporting carbon, water and nutrients between trees, depending on which needed it most. “The big trees were subsidizing the young ones through the fungal networks,” explains Simard. “Without this helping hand, most of the seedlings wouldn’t make it.”

Mycorrhizal networks exist in ecosystems around the world (and were featured in the movie Avatar), and Simard’s research has shown that without “Mother Trees” — the big trees that dominate forests and are connected to all other trees — efforts at regeneration often fail. Her latest results reveal that when a Mother Tree is cut down, the survival rate of new seedlings is very low. The implications for the forest industry and conservation groups are huge: conserve Mother Trees and preserve mycorrhizal networks, or we could lose our forests.

http://www.canadiang...gal_systems.asp

Underground signals carried through common mycelial networks warn neighbouring plants of aphid attack

Article first published online: 9 MAY 2013

Abstract

The roots of most land plants are colonised by mycorrhizal fungi that provide mineral nutrients in exchange for carbon. Here, we show that mycorrhizal mycelia can also act as a conduit for signalling between plants, acting as an early warning system for herbivore attack. Insect herbivory causes systemic changes in the production of plant volatiles, particularly methyl salicylate, making bean plants, Vicia faba, repellent to aphids but attractive to aphid enemies such as parasitoids. We demonstrate that these effects can also occur in aphid-free plants but only when they are connected to aphid-infested plants via a common mycorrhizal mycelial network. This underground messaging system allows neighbouring plants to invoke herbivore defences before attack. Our findings demonstrate that common mycorrhizal mycelial networks can determine the outcome of multitrophic interactions by communicating information on herbivore attack between plants, thereby influencing the behaviour of both herbivores and their natural enemies.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ele.12115/abstract;jsessionid=CC5E99F993E3A2C49A0CCD93EE1EE212.d02t03

Was it in the film Avatar where Grace says that the trees had something like a communication system linking each other?

Was it in the film Avatar where Grace says that the trees had something like a communication system linking each other?

Yes, and if you click on the link in the post I quoted in my former post, and scroll down to the end of the article, you'll see they mention that movie.

Yes, and if you click on the link in the post I quoted in my former post, and scroll down to the end of the article, you'll see they mention that movie.

Very interesting, fungi has a mystical background and still has now. If somehow scientists can find out what is being said or get some information, not now but in the future, do you think we could speed up Tree growth much quicker?