Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Believe it or not, this is real.

pallidin

This apparent disaster-waiting-to-happen is on the Island of St. Maarten. The airport has a particularly short runway that ends just 40 feet from beach, leaving large planes just barely enough room to land. So they have to come in low, directly over the beach, making it a prime destination for an afternoon of quiet, relaxing sunbathing.

• Like 2

Pilots have to have a special license to land/take off there. It's not as unsafe as you think really.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've seen a few of these over the years from this spot. Looks like fun huh?

• Like 1

Couldn't get it to play :hmm:

• Like 1

Couldn't get it to play :hmm:

Try again, I might have been reviewing it too much.

Yeah, I've seen a few of these over the years from this spot. Looks like fun huh?

If I were a passenger, I think would be scared as heck!

• Like 1

Try again, I might have been reviewing it too much.

Still couldn't get it to work here so I went to YouTube ............... WTF!!!! It missed the perimeter fence by inches!!!!!

• Like 1

Skiathos is bad as well:

[media=]

[/media]

My housemate was scared when she went there on holiday. lol

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

It looks an awesome place. In fact, this picture was on the front page of Airliners.net just today..

stmaarten.png

• Like 1

Still couldn't get it to work here so I went to YouTube ............... WTF!!!! It missed the perimeter fence by inches!!!!!

Yeah, I can't even begin to imagine what might happen if it hit that fence!

Glad that car was little. In my truck I would have been hit

Yeah, that 747 was very, very, very, very close to the ground and the fence.

This reminds me of Madeira runway! When I was cabin crew I was given the privilege of being allowed to be in the flight deck to watch one of the most difficult and dangerous landings. The most skilled Captains and First Officers were only allowed to operate on this flight. I remember thinking we weren't going to make it! It was awesome sitting with a panoramic view of what looked like a little 'crouton' in the sea and observing the skill of the crew as they brought the plane down! The original length of the runway was a mere 1600 meters!

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

There was a show on Discovery, or one of those channels, a few years back about the top 10 most dagerous airports... The two losted in videos above both made the list, as did Gibralter's...

The Gibralter runway has traffic lights on it to stop crossing autos and a pedestrian crosswalk as well... Crazy!

And those idjits that line up to be blasted by the jet exhaust are waaaaaaay to crazy for me!

This is a very good video, it's about 4,5 hours long but you don't have to watch all of it, there's lots from St Maarten, and check the one at the end, St Barths.

:w00t::santa:

• Like 1

I'm hoping there's an alernative route available by boat, otherwise it ain't even getting a look see on my bucket list.

• Like 1

What is to prevent someone. From throwing something into the engine? That seems very dangerous.

The plane is already landing with metres to spare and the landing gear is down, it will land without engines at this point no problem.

The plane is already landing with metres to spare and the landing gear is down, it will land without engines at this point no problem.

They have to reverse thrust to land there. So they won't stop in time with blown engines. lol Crazy huh?

• Like 1

The Greek one shows a plane driving past the people and turning around. And then taking off. There is plenty of time to throw something. Or release a bird or balloon with a stickin it. Seems very risky.

Old news, this was a youtube fascination for a while now

I'm well aware of that, but some people haven't seen it.

Party pooper. :angry: