Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Warning over online trolling law

Render

what is freedom of expression? it sounds really nice!

It's nothing but a pipe-dream nowadays. Sadly.

• Like 3

"The government has accused the committee of over-complicating matters."

As-if our government never over complicates matters, ha,

Edited by Talion
  • Like 2

Plus now this,

U.N. Conference Slyly Introduces Resolution to Gain Control of Internet—in Middle of Night

One person's freedom ends where another person's freedom begins. The notion that someone has the right to post obscene, threatening, slanderous, derogatory content towards another person with complete impunity is simply not acceptable. There are cases of people being cyber-harassed to the point of suicide. People's businesses and marriages have been ruined by this type of thing...it's not something that we should be *free* to engage in.

• Like 9

One person's freedom ends where another person's freedom begins. The notion that someone has the right to post obscene, threatening, slanderous, derogatory content towards another person with complete impunity is simply not acceptable. There are cases of people being cyber-harassed to the point of suicide. People's businesses and marriages have been ruined by this type of thing...it's not something that we should be *free* to engage in.

I totally agree. If you wouldn't say to their face, you shouldn't type it.

• Like 1

No but is it not pathetic to let it push you that far?

Delete you facebook, pull out your internet, or just ignore it. These are all mature options.

If they take away the freedom on the internet, then you won't be able to comment on anything. In fact UM and other forums will go if these laws come into place. They will be deemed as places people can exchange ideas and terrorism plots etc.

Anywhere you can give your opinion or upload to will be gone. I don't think people understand how serious this actually is.

• Like 4

Delete you facebook, pull out your internet, or just ignore it. These are all mature options.

If they take away the freedom on the internet, then you won't be able to comment on anything. In fact UM and other forums will go if these laws come into place. They will be deemed as places people can exchange ideas and terrorism plots etc.

Anywhere you can give your opinion or upload to will be gone. I don't think people understand how serious this actually is.

Your right they are unaware of were this could take us.

Just look at places like Syria and China who monitor and pull the plug on there state wide internet.

• Like 2

Your right they are unaware of were this could take us.

Just look at places like Syria and China who monitor and pull the plug on there state wide internet.

Exactly. But that's what the UN wants. They just want us to be in favour of it. Bring on the troll thing.

Edited by Coffey

The thing is, when your business goes under and your husband/wife leaves you, "pushing" quickly becomes a life changing event.

One's opinion is one thing, death threats, slanderous lies, and obscene allegations are quite another. There needs to be a degree of balance that can serve to protect our rights to free expression, yet will also protect us from from malicious attacks and character assassination. Going too far in the other direction (Big Brother is watching) isn't a good thing either.

Edited by Lilly
spelling
  • Like 1

I didn't want to say anything before but it has to be said...

I'm seen close up how intimidating these trolls can be and it isn't pretty.

Once they've got a potential victim in their sights they won't let it be.

I've been harassed by them but somehow over time I went off their radar.

I just buckled down and eventually it was all water under the bridge.

The best idea with a troll is not rise to the bait and send them to Coventry.

It worked with me but I've got a particularly thick skin anyway.

However there's some fragile people out there and all it takes is one campaign.

Tbh I don't like these new changes and it just penalises innocent people.

If you look at it this way these trolls are glaringly obvious.

You don't need to be Einstein to work out the clues to sniff out the troublemakers.

Edited by Walnut Whip
  • Like 1

The thing is, when your business goes under and your husband/wife leaves you, "pushing" quickly becomes a life changing event.

I really don't understand how trolling can lead to either of these though. Can you give an example please? (I'm not saying I want proof, I just haven't seen an example of this before)

One's opinion is one thing, death threats, slanderous lies, and obscene allegations are quite another. There needs to be a degree of balance that can serve to protect our rights to free expression, yet will also protect us from from malicious attacks and character assassination. Going too far in the other direction (Big Brother is watching) isn't a good thing either.

I agree with what you mean, but it's like prisoners having rights. It protects the innocent when falsely accused.

What if someone hacks your account and posts things, then you get arrested for it? You go to prison for someone hacking your account and threatening people?

What if you jokingly say you're going to kill someone or blow something up, but it's taken seriously?

This happened recently where a guy was arrested for saying "If my plane is delayed anymore I'm going to blow the airport up" on his twitter and he was arrested for it?! Even Steven Fry and Rowan Atkinson (I think it was him) made a thing out of it saying how absurd it was. But this is what these sort of laws will bring. The UN etc want this and they are using things like trolling, terrorism and bullying etc to get us to want it. If we want it, then thye don't need to force it and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 4

There's nothing more to add after that. Brilliant.

The Government are trying to control everything we do.

This is a thinly veiled excuse to meet their very ends.

It's actually very devious but if your smart enough you'll see.

They wont even attempt to tell the difference between light-hearted banter and pure malice.

It's all a game to them to see how many people they can put under their leash.

I've been shafted by them before so I'm no stranger to it.

Then they managed to conjure up a other pretty excuse.

Edited by Walnut Whip

I really don't understand how trolling can lead to either of these though. Can you give an example please? (I'm not saying I want proof, I just haven't seen an example of this before)

I agree with what you mean, but it's like prisoners having rights. It protects the innocent when falsely accused.

What if someone hacks your account and posts things, then you get arrested for it? You go to prison for someone hacking your account and threatening people?

What if you jokingly say you're going to kill someone or blow something up, but it's taken seriously?

This happened recently where a guy was arrested for saying "If my plane is delayed anymore I'm going to blow the airport up" on his twitter and he was arrested for it?! Even Steven Fry and Rowan Atkinson (I think it was him) made a thing out of it saying how absurd it was. But this is what these sort of laws will bring. The UN etc want this and they are using things like trolling, terrorism and bullying etc to get us to want it. If we want it, then thye don't need to force it and we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

You don't jokingly say you are going to kill a person, if it was directed them personally then it depends on the victim receiving the abuse. Sadly is young people who troll and in bad cases teenagers have committed suicide, but that's bullying and harassment which is the next step up.

Take look here: http://cyberbullying.us/blog/advice-for-adult-victims-of-cyberbullying.html

This site covers several examples of how this kind of thing can lead to real world consequences.

Take look here: http://cyberbullying...erbullying.html

This site covers several examples of how this kind of thing can lead to real world consequences.

You see those things seem really silly.

You can block people on facebook, you can make your profile private. Same with all social media sites.

The worst ones on there are when it mentions forums or even worse chat rooms. You can leave a chat room. LOL

It kinda feels a little like this is Darwinism, if you're too dumb to realise the above, well natures going to intervene.

I don't agree with trolling or bullying at all. I'm completely against both. But you can use laws to protect stupid people.

The only ones I see a real problem is with children and teens, but again the same stuff above applies. They can delete, block, leave and file complaints etc.

• Like 3

You see those things seem really silly.

You can block people on facebook, you can make your profile private. Same with all social media sites.

The worst ones on there are when it mentions forums or even worse chat rooms. You can leave a chat room. LOL

It kinda feels a little like this is Darwinism, if you're too dumb to realise the above, well natures going to intervene.

I don't agree with trolling or bullying at all. I'm completely against both. But you can use laws to protect stupid people.

The only ones I see a real problem is with children and teens, but again the same stuff above applies. They can delete, block, leave and file complaints etc.

Remmeber sometimes they can get your number.

Remmeber sometimes they can get your number.

Yeah if you post it on your facebook. lol

• Like 2

Also, don't forget that if these people happen to live in the same community then what they're saying about you isn't exactly private. This is what I mean about there being 'real world consequences'. If people at your work, school, social interactions are reading this kind of thing and passing it on, the results can be devastating.

• Like 1

You can leave a chat room or make your FB private, but you can't control what other people say about you all over theirs, or to your friends or family or boss or employees or whoever.

I work completely online. I own my own business. If someone got it in their head that they wanted to 'have fun' making up stuff about me or my business, I couldn't just ignore them or pull the plug on the internet. My livelihood and good name would disappear. I met someone once who seemed like a nice guy. Then I found out that he randomly picked some kid on an online game to harass online "just for fun." It was like a hobby to him, and there were no repercussions. There should be.

Harassment laws, defamation, libel and slander should most definitely extend to the internet.

Harassment laws, defamation, libel and slander should most definitely extend to the internet.

They do, that's part of my point.

You can report people for all those things.

"Trolling" gets people in trouble on the internet already, that's why there doesn't need to be anymore laws for it.

Did you know that G.C,H.Q "flag" various words and phrases,and if they come up on your p.c. or mobile/cell phone, you then become a target and probably are hacked into without you even knowing about it unless you are a p.c..geek. Haven't they just failed to get a law passed allowing them to hack into your E-mails.