Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stephen King

Bonecrusher

I used to own a hardback of all of his stories written under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. It was called the Bachman Books. Unfortunately, I let someone borrow it and it never got returned. I haven't been able to find it in all these years. I've always thought that "The Long Walk" would make an excellent movie.

My first experience with "Bachman" was 'The Regulators' which contained the same characters as Desperation, just in a different setting and different roles.

Did any of you ever read "Eyes of the Dragon"? There was alot of carry over from the Dark Tower in that one.

• Like 3

The first 'grown-up' book I ever bought myself was The Bachman Books when I was 12. I haven't read King in years though. Think the last one I read was "The Cell" or something like that.. zombie outbreak brought on by cell phone usage. I've trying to get my 14 yr old son, who loves horror and paranormal stuff, into him now, but it's not working very well.

The latest I read, 11-23-63, great at times, slow as hell at others. He really could have used an editor on about 2/3 of that.

It seems that he always sets up such a great villian/conflict only to have a 'magical' ending for the protaganists at the end. Far too convenient endings.

I don't know. I thought some of his endings were bittersweet.

You'll understand more clearly when watching The Mist.

When the characters just gave up when the world was being put to rights.

You still get an uncomfy feeling despite the amount of happy endings.

We are talking about the world of Stephen King here who dosn't do straight-forward.

I'm looking forward to 11-23-63 if not for the Losers Club cameo.

I used to read a lot of King's stuff, then took a long break other than to reread The Stand when the expanded version came out. I just got through with the expanded first Dark Tower book and will be getting the second one soon. Other than The Stand, Salem's Lot is another favorite of mine, along with several books of short stories. I think Night Shift had a story called One for the Road which was a companion to Salem's Lot. The Bachman Books is another one I read more than once. King has had one hell of a career... and of course who can forget King's dramatic turn as Jordy Verrill in Creepshow, or as the man at the beginning of Maximum Overdrive who gets called an a--hole by an ATM?

My first experience with "Bachman" was 'The Regulators' which contained the same characters as Desperation, just in a different setting and different roles.

Did any of you ever read "Eyes of the Dragon"? There was alot of carry over from the Dark Tower in that one.

Heck yeah, I have it in my collection! Two of his books that I haven't seen anyone mention on here is "The Talisman" and it's sequel, "Black House", co-written with Peter Straub. It crosses over with the Dark Tower series.

• Like 1

Heck yeah, I have it in my collection! Two of his books that I haven't seen anyone mention on here is "The Talisman" and it's sequel, "Black House", co-written with Peter Straub. It crosses over with the Dark Tower series.

Very much so, I think Roland mentions seeing the ka-tet from Black House in one of the Dark Tower books.

Oh! And isn't that where the 'thinny' idea is originally from?

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

Very much so, I think Roland mentions seeing the ka-tet from Black House in one of the Dark Tower books.

Oh! And isn't that where the 'thinny' idea is originally from?

I do believe you are correct.

Dark Tower books are incredible. Have read them all at least 3 times.

Duma Key was an amazing book as well.

By far the two creepiest stories I think he has ever written are Lisey's Story, which is just so dark...

And a short story named N. which is in his book Just After Sunset.

I don't know why, but N. has always scared me to the core.

Well I'm just getting to the climax of Under The Dome.

You've actually got an entire town enclosed under a dome.

And the protoganists have found the generator to power it.

Tbh it feels like a dumbed down "Lord Of The Flies".

However the rulebook about Stephen King universes has to be changed again.

There's been an intriguing mention of Jack Reacher in the story.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

i love kings work so much, no ones mind works like stephen kings. lately ive been finding his novels at second hand stores super cheap, the other day i found IT for 50 cents, BRAND NEW. i'm currently reading the stand and i love it, and OMG I HATE HAROLD LUADER SOOOOO MUCH!! HE KILLED MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!!!

King is a great writer.

My all time favourite is Salem's Lot, but I also love the Stand, the Cycle of the Werewolf, the Gunslinger and Cujo

i love kings work so much, no ones mind works like stephen kings. lately ive been finding his novels at second hand stores super cheap, the other day i found IT for 50 cents, BRAND NEW. i'm currently reading the stand and i love it, and OMG I HATE HAROLD LUADER SOOOOO MUCH!! HE KILLED MY FAVORITE CHARACTER!!!

Tbh I though Harold Lauder was pretty much misunderstood.

At the end of the day he was only a pawn in Randall Flagg's plans.

And he was used by Nadia Cross in some kind of honeytrap.

So when his bomb-making expertise wasn't needed anymore he got ditched like trash.

But he was put out when the source of his fascination Fran left him for Stu.

King is a great writer.

My all time favourite is Salem's Lot, but I also love the Stand, the Cycle of the Werewolf, the Gunslinger and Cujo

My dad thinks Salem's Lot is the penultimate vampire book.

Maybe there's a version of the Dome that keeps the vampires cooped up in Salem's Lot.

A variation of denying one of these creatures entry inside your house.

Because they never seem to stray outside city limits.

Though in reality I think they are paralysed in grief due to the sudden staking of Barlow.

Tbh though any unwary traveller will get turned if they stray close to their lair.

Vintage King is the best.

1. The Shining

2. IT

3. Salem's Lot

4. Pet Sematary

5. Cujo

6. The Long Walk

7. Skeleton Crew

8. The Night Shift

9. The Stand

10. Different Seasons

The book that got me into Stephen King was Pet Sematary.

i've got scads of stephen king novels in my library. they're good for when i want an 'inbetween books' book. i wouldn't say he's the best author going though - i've read others who are just as imaginative but don't recycle the same characters, or locations, or monsters

some people enjoy that with his stories, but i say move on and get some new material!

clive barker is an author that most stephen king fans would like, but his tales are different every time.

Edited by JGirl

As movies go, Cujo was unwatchable and Christine was stupid beyond stupid. Stephen King sucks!

stephen king doe's not "suck", he's a great writer but his book's dont alway's translate well into film. i thought christine was a great film, but cujo not so much.

i've got scads of stephen king novels in my library. they're good for when i want an 'inbetween books' book. i wouldn't say he's the best author going though - i've read others who are just as imaginative but don't recycle the same characters, or locations, or monsters

some people enjoy that with his stories, but i say move on and get some new material!

clive barker is an author that most stephen king fans would like, but his tales are different every time.

His vintage stuff is his best stuff, yes, he recycled characters (or stereotypes) back then too but overall I feel the writing and story quality was higher.

Post-IT, Stephen King has written more than his fair share of stinkers and makes me wonder about the amount of money he makes per a word considering the size and amount of superfluous filler in his later books.

I used to own a hardback of all of his stories written under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. It was called the Bachman Books. Unfortunately, I let someone borrow it and it never got returned. I haven't been able to find it in all these years. I've always thought that "The Long Walk" would make an excellent movie.

try looking on amazon.com that's where i found mine.

also, stephen king is basically the only author i read. i am currently reading pet sematary. i've seen the movie a lot but nothing compares to reading the book. it allows you to become way closer to the characters. also, so far i find cujo to be his worst novel. the only part i was interested in was the sharp cereal professor. "nope, nothing wrong here."

I've read few books and most of them were King. Salems Lot, the Running Man, the Green Mile(best book to film translation), the one with 13 short stories, some of A Buick 8, and about 1/3 of Desperation.

The great thing and sometimes a bad thing, not usually though, is that he could take up an entire page describing my avatar. It might seem boring but every time I've read one of his books I always remember it almost as if I seen it. He a master of description.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

My favorite King novel is Bag of Bones, I've read it a few times and its scary every time... Duma Key also scared me silly!

He's really good at building up his characters and building rapport with the reader but often goes off on a tangent when describing something that he thinks the reader needs to know.

Regardless, I do love his style and most of his books... :)

My favorite King novel is Bag of Bones, I've read it a few times and its scary every time... Duma Key also scared me silly!

He's really good at building up his characters and building rapport with the reader but often goes off on a tangent when describing something that he thinks the reader needs to know.

Regardless, I do love his style and most of his books... :)

i quite enjoyed bag of bones as well.

mostly because it was a departure from his monsters and demons and recycled characters