Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. Fire Arms laws and regulations

Dredimus

I think State and Fed governments could and should have more "cash for guns" programs going on. Nothing wrong with offering fair prices for guns that people turn in. Voluntary of course. With the economy as it is, I'm sure many people would take advantage of it.

• Like 2

I think State and Fed governments could and should have more "cash for guns" programs going on. Nothing wrong with offering fair prices for guns that people turn in. Voluntary of course. With the economy as it is, I'm sure many people would take advantage of it.

Thats good positive input to the problem. An old idea that would be rgeat today. They should offer it to be a safe zone as well so that people that have illegal guns wont be afraid to show up and fear being arrrested.

• Like 1

Thats good positive input to the problem. An old idea that would be rgeat today. They should offer it to be a safe zone as well so that people that have illegal guns wont be afraid to show up and fear being arrrested.

Good call.

I'm not in favor of forcing people to turn guns over, but if a fair price is offered lots of guns will be off the streets. Typically it is the poorer people who commit "gun crimes", so the $$ would be appealing.

A quick google search shows that these programs are extremely successful.

Then we can send all those guns to Mexico. :whistle:

Edited by Myles

gub buy back programm failed. it isn't my opinion, but cops's and no changes in crime stats proves it.

also assult rifle ban failed too

it was in effect 1994-2004

11/15/95 - Lynville, Tn School shooting

2/2/96 - Moses Lake, Wa School shooting

2/19/97 - Bethel, Ak School shooting

10/1/97 - Pearl, Ms School shooting

12/1/97 - West Paducah, Ky School shooting

4/24/98 - Edinboro, Pa School shooting

5/21/98 - Springfield, Or School shooting

4/20/99 - Columbine, Co School shooting

5/20/99 - Conyers, Ga School shooting

11/2/99 - Honolulu, Hi Office Shooting

12/26/00 - Wakefield, Ma Office Shooting

3/5/01 - Santee, Ca School Shooting

3/22/01 El Cajon, Ca School Shooting

1/16/02 Grundy, Va College Shooting

4/14/03 New Orleans, La School Shooting

This is a nice little fact to digest. It concerns the U.S., with nearly no gun control, and Britain, with very strict gun control.

Connecticut shootings: The lessons from Dunblane

This year, five people have been killed by guns in Scotland. That's in line with the rest of the UK per head of population and a death rate 50 times lower than in the United States.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20736167

50 times more people, and our cultures are in reality not much different at all (as opposed to American comparisons with Switzerland or Sweden or Brazil or Venezuela). That is an incredible statistic to try to ignore or wash away.

This is a nice little fact to digest. It concerns the U.S., with nearly no gun control, and Britain, with very strict gun control.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20736167

50 times more people, and our cultures are in reality not much different at all (as opposed to American comparisons with Switzerland or Sweden or Brazil or Venezuela). That is an incredible statistic to try to ignore or wash away.

Well, statistics are a funny thing, see, statistically 20 murders disappear in the over 100 killings that had happened previously this year in Connecticut. Shocking in this case is that a mentally unstable person could lay his hands on a whole arsenal of weapons. There is where something went wrong.

• Like 1

gub buy back programm failed. it isn't my opinion, but cops's and no changes in crime stats proves it.

I don't think they failed. They collected allot of guns. Most from high risk areas. Perhaps the crime stats didn't show much improvement, but I'm sure it would given time. Most responsible people who can afford a gun safe would not be using the buy back program. I wouldn't sell my gun. However, someone who is down on their luck and desperate might sell his gun and he may be in just the kind of mindset of a person who should not have a gun handy.

As long as these programs are voluntary, they should be encouraged.

I don't think they failed.

you can think anything you want, but if crime rate was not affected by the program, (the whole idea behind it) it failed.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."Ronald Reagan

Edited by aztek

I don't think they failed. They collected allot of guns. Most from high risk areas. Perhaps the crime stats didn't show much improvement, but I'm sure it would given time. Most responsible people who can afford a gun safe would not be using the buy back program. I wouldn't sell my gun. However, someone who is down on their luck and desperate might sell his gun and he may be in just the kind of mindset of a person who should not have a gun handy.

As long as these programs are voluntary, they should be encouraged.

Where you are almost correct. Crime has been falling for at least a decade now according to the FBI

What has increased at the same time is the public's perception on the amount of crimes committed and that single crimes are much more notorious than they used to be before because of their horror.

I dont think the crime rate will change with the current propositons by any means. If anything they may rise. Stop putting children and young adults on heavy duty SSRI's and you will likely get a reduced number of these mass shootings.

Buy having an ongoing safe gun turn in program available in America would be nothing but a positive thing for everyone. In fact Id be willing to allocate some of my tax dollars to fund that.

I dont think the crime rate will change with the current propositons by any means. If anything they may rise. Stop putting children and young adults on heavy duty SSRI's and you will likely get a reduced number of these mass shootings.

Buy having an ongoing safe gun turn in program available in America would be nothing but a positive thing for everyone. In fact Id be willing to allocate some of my tax dollars to fund that.

We should just make crime illegal. It's about time.

We should just make crime illegal. It's about time.

We should realize that crime is not just something that has to do with the criminal but with all those who facilitate it by giving occasion and means.

• Like 1

And you are seriously comparing 7 attacks with 1? Yeah, lets not argue anymore

There are more then that story had, I will not bother listing those also.....And oops...I did screw up. No sleep does that I guess...If I list more, including one where a man uses gasoline to light himself on fire, and grab two kids, there are more then 26....Around 30 to 35, depending on what articles you look at.....More if you go back to 2008.

So yes, I screwed the pooch on that one.....Eating crow now.

There are also more then 7 school incidents since 2010 in China. Attacks with Axe, knives, hatchets, meat clevers, hammers, and gasoline......

Point being, there are MORE attacks, and no guns. Guns are not the issue, the people doing it are.

Take away the guns, they will find something else to use, and something more terrorizing, and more painful, and more traumatizing.

Fix the problem.......

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20736167

You have to take into account populations....This does not work....

I posted a few pages back a good statistic, it shows " per 100,000 " ......It is a better scale and more accurate for this.

Problem here..

Gangs, criminals, drug dealers, gun traffic from Mexico, etc,etc,etc..... Will not be in those lines.

But they will know they will have a very heavy advantage after people turn in their guns.....

Let the break ins, car jackings, muggings, begin.......No one will have anything to defend themselves with.

I posted a few pages back a good statistic, it shows " per 100,000 " ......It is a better scale and more accurate for this.

Population Connecticut about 3.5 millions, 120 murder in 2011

Population Scotland about 5.5 millions, 97murders in 2011, out of which 53% were in drunk brawls that count as murder under Scottish laws. If consider them we also have to add 300 manslaughter cases to the Connecticut statistics.

I believe it does take into account populations.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

[quote

Posted Today, 09:34 AM

snapback.pngMyles, on 18 December 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

Problem here..

Gangs, criminals, drug dealers, gun traffic from Mexico, etc,etc,etc..... Will not be in those lines.

But they will know they will have a very heavy advantage after people turn in their guns.....

Let the break ins, car jackings, muggings, begin.......No one will have anything to defend themselves with.

]

It would not be a hugely successful program but would take some guns off the streets both legal and illegal. When people are looking for solutions why throw ones that are community based and voluntary away.

I believe it does take into account populations.

Scotland - The stat I posted does not show

USA - 2.7 per 100,000 population homicides by gun.

If that is 50 times Scotland, then it appears Scotland is in the negative?

It would not be a hugely successful program but would take some guns off the streets both legal and illegal. When people are looking for solutions why throw ones that are community based and voluntary away.

It would help, I will agree with that.It will not solve the problem though in my opinion.

If people want to give them away, good deal.They can give them to people like me also, that are responsible :)

Where would our Government get money for this though?.......Millions of people are about to lose any source of income they have ( unemployment ), and I am sure **** is going to hit the fan here with crime......If our Government can not even afford to fix this, how can they buy guns?

Problem here..

I disagree. It's been proven that all types of people have turned in guns in these programs.

It will be successful because it can show the anti-gun folks that steps are being taken and it should be well-received by the pro-gun folks because it is completely voluntary.

Voluntary means it is up to you. You do not have to sell your gun. It's a choice. That is what I want.

When we talk about responsible spending by Government I would put a pogram like a gun turn in program into this category.

I disagree. It's been proven that all types of people have turned in guns in these programs.

It will be successful because it can show the anti-gun folks that steps are being taken and it should be well-received by the pro-gun folks because it is completely voluntary.

Voluntary means it is up to you. You do not have to sell your gun. It's a choice. That is what I want.

You missed the reply above yours :)

Volunteer hand over, no problem.....

When we talk about responsible spending by Government I would put a pogram like a gun turn in program into this category.

Yes, but the money has to come from somewhere....( and we all know there are plenty of places to take it from, but the Gov does not even do that to help people now )

It would help, I will agree with that.It will not solve the problem though in my opinion.

If people want to give them away, good deal.They can give them to people like me also, that are responsible :)

Where would our Government get money for this though?.......Millions of people are about to lose any source of income they have ( unemployment ), and I am sure **** is going to hit the fan here with crime......If our Government can not even afford to fix this, how can they buy guns?

That is certaily a valid question. I don't have an answer. Although there would be at least a small stimulous in the economy because people would have cash in hand and most would spend it. The effect may not be enough to even be measured though.

The government wastes money all over the place, at least this would appease the anti-gun folks a little bit. And like I said earlier, the people who would sell there guns are the people I don't want to have guns.