Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. Fire Arms laws and regulations

Dredimus

So was the Connecticut shooter part of a well regulated militia?

Just a nut who believed the world was going to end on December 21st.

Ive come to the conclusion that you cant stop a criminal from getting their hands on a weapon if they want one. By setting up tighter regulations it will only make it harder for those that are resposible citizens to obtain firearms for legal purposes.

like times a million(2)

Edited by Sakari

I think only people in the US, and people in the US that hunt, and people that have to protect their property ( not many will understand that one ) should be able to participate in this discussion :)

Just my opinion, and it seems this needs noted here :

I am being facetious...

I should mention that the biggest mass murder in US history was committed with a can of gasoline, that's right it was an arson

The Happy Land social Club Fire in NY City around 1990, killed over 80 people

There was another arson related to labor dispute at a Puerto Rico hotel that killed even more.

Evil people will find a way to do bad things no matter what they have available.

(Above statement is not including OK City bombing, 9/11, acts of war, etc. but only non-political crimes)

• Like 1

I have been using guns sinse i was 13, now in my 50s I am a hunter, I am a target shooter, I am ex-military, If i can see it i can ht a quarter with my hunting rifle at 100 feet ( at least i could a couple of years ago when i last fired it)and I am appalled at what happened in conn. I can't even describe how i feel about what happened.

, I would not think of doing something like this. Nor would 99.99% of the legal gun owners in this country.

but I would without hesitation go out in a blaze of gunfire if someone tried to take my guns away from me by force and i saw them coming.

we need to stop arguing gun control and who is or is not classsified as militia and find another answer. and no i don't know what it would be. teaching gun safety is great, in My opinion everyone should be forced to take those classes before they get out of middle school, but it isn't the answer. if the laws we already have don't work making new laws will not matter to people who plan to break them anyways and you cannot punish someone who knows he or she is doing is wrong and kills themselves to avoid punishment. There Has To Be another answer.

• Like 5

I want to see them try to take my rifle.

It's ironic that Obama's followers are calling for the murder of NRA members.

Prisoners do not have guns, but they make weapons out of un heard of things to kill each other ( and guards ) with.

If you want to kill people, you will find a way. Take away guns, go get some manure and diesel and a Uhaul....Make a pipe bomb, start a fire, poison food or pills, poison water,etc,etc,etc.....

Point is, there are endless ways to kill people in mass, taking guns away will not fix the problem.

Why people do not get this I have no idea.

Finding out what makes people do this will help fix the problem.

Edited by Sakari

An outright ban on guns except in some very small circumstances is the way to go. Make it highly illegal, offer buybacks, offer not to ID guns handed in, etc etc. If we can invade 2 countries, tear them down and build them up again with a few trillion dollars, irradicating guns from society is a matter of willpower.

The other alternative is arming children. And I'm sure the founding fathers weren't expecting how powerful and cheap firearms would get.

I should mention that the biggest mass murder in US history was committed with a can of gasoline, that's right it was an arson

The Happy Land social Club Fire in NY City around 1990, killed over 80 people

There was another arson related to labor dispute at a Puerto Rico hotel that killed even more.

Evil people will find a way to do bad things no matter what they have available.

(Above statement is not including OK City bombing, 9/11, acts of war, etc. but only non-political crimes)

Nope, acts of mass murder without guns are still far and few between. Just yesterday in China a man went knife crazy at an elementary school. 0 kids killed. The U.S? 20.

An outright ban on guns except in some very small circumstances is the way to go. Make it highly illegal, offer buybacks, offer not to ID guns handed in, etc etc. If we can invade 2 countries, tear them down and build them up again with a few trillion dollars, irradicating guns from society is a matter of willpower.

The other alternative is arming children. And I'm sure the founding fathers weren't expecting how powerful and cheap firearms would get.

If you seriously believe an outright ban on guns is the way to go you must really want to live in a totalitarian government.

If you seriously believe an outright ban on guns is the way to go you must really want to live in a totalitarian government.

It's far more realistic to worry about another man going insane with a cheap gun at his fingertips than some fantasy government oppression.

Ive come to the conclusion that you cant stop a criminal from getting their hands on a weapon if they want one. By setting up tighter regulations it will only make it harder for those that are resposible citizens to obtain firearms for legal purposes.

The idea is that with a gun ban would come with an attempt with cleansing guns from society. We should at least try it before giving up and arming our children.

It's far more realistic to worry about another man going insane with a cheap gun at his fingertips than some fantasy government oppression.

The idea is that with a gun ban would come with an attempt with cleansing guns from society. We should at least try it before giving up and arming our children.

It's not fantasy... Go ahead and ask the Germans and the Russians what happened when they had their guns taken away.

Oh, I forgot, they couldn't say anything because their governments transformed into Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia.

• Like 1

It's not fantasy... Go ahead and ask the Germans and the Russians what happened when they had their guns taken away.

Oh, I forgot, they couldn't say anything because their governments transformed into Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia.

OK let me rephrase. I'm far more worried about the next introvert snapping, finding a gun somewhere and driving to a school or workplace, than the U.S. turning into a fascist dictatorship, which is right there with worrying about alien invasions. With today's social media and communication tools, it seems dictators are on the way out.

Edited by Maizer
  • Like 1

OK let me rephrase. I'm far more worried about the next introvert snapping, finding a gun somewhere and driving to a school or workplace, than the U.S. turning into a fascist dictatorship, which is right there with worrying about alien invasions.

The minute you start blurring the lines between what has been historically proven to happen - in textbook political science based off of the selfish interests of men, and fiction, you are the victim of idiocy and blindness. Your worries about some introvert are justified. However, you should be worried about the legitimacy of fascist regimes.

Or you could ask the Australians what happened when their government took away all their guns in the 90s.

The minute you start blurring the lines between what has been historically proven to happen - in textbook political science based off of the selfish interests of men, and fiction, you are the victim of idiocy and blindness. Your worries about some introvert are justified. However, you should be worried about the legitimacy of fascist regimes.

Speaking of history, lets also worry about Japan bombing Pearl Harbor again and bomb them first. Or maybe the Chinese should worry about the Mongolians rising up again and eradicate them.

Lessons from history are to be taken, but when you take something that is virtually not going to happen again and use it as an excuse to carry around deadly weapons, thats called illogical idiocy.

your posts are so right on this topic..

i dont know anyone in Australia that owns a gun.. we have had gun massacres, but its not nearly as bad as the US..

• Like 1

i dont know anyone in Australia that owns a gun.. we have had gun massacres, but its not nearly as bad as the US..

Thanks. Too bad it took a tragedy for the laws to change. I only fear it's too late, the political backlash too strong, and there are just too many guns for the U.S. to follow course.

We used to have a gun in the house, it was dad's pistol for work (he was a copper).

Now we don't. Mind you, we've a pair of compound bows, some large and sharp kitchen knives and a fairly intimidating Ghurkha knife.

Speaking of history, lets also worry about Japan bombing Pearl Harbor again and bomb them first. Or maybe the Chinese should worry about the Mongolians rising up again and eradicate them.

Lessons from history are to be taken, but when you take something that is virtually not going to happen again and use it as an excuse to carry around deadly weapons, thats called illogical idiocy.

In the cases of gun control in the 20th century, such with Germany and Russia, they were cases of Liberal Totalitarianism. Or Liberal censorship.

Governments and gun disarmament never end well for the populace. Australia and the US have different histories.

The US government already has authoritarian mechanisms integrated into its government through various bureaucratic means.

Without public opposition, who is to say it will not further utilize even more means of constraining the people?

In the cases of gun control in the 20th century, such with Germany and Russia, they were cases of Liberal Totalitarianism. Or Liberal censorship.

Governments and gun disarmament never end well for the populace. Australia and the US have different histories.

The US government already has authoritarian mechanisms integrated into its government through various bureaucratic means.

Without public opposition, who is to say it will not further utilize even more means of constraining the people?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I honestly think we've come far enough that we'll never turn into Nazi USA. Not to mention dictators are being toppled everywhere over the world.

We need more guns damn it. To stop this crap. Sarcasim :no: how does a 20 yrs old get a gun a bullet proof vest when he cant even legally drink a beer...........

Thanks. Too bad it took a tragedy for the laws to change. I only fear it's too late, the political backlash too strong, and there are just too many guns for the U.S. to follow course.

fixing the gun problem in the US is about as impossible as fixing your healthcare system.. (im assuming you are American?) there is far too much resistance on both issues.. its like p***ing in the wind..

• Like 1

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I honestly think we've come far enough that we'll never turn into Nazi USA. Not to mention dictators are being toppled everywhere over the world.

Dictators are been toppled by the US to place corporate sponsored dictators; Morsi, a US sponsored ruler dissolving the Egyptian Constitution and the Judiciary, for example. Dictators are being traded for dictators; the faces change, but the intentions have never been far from the same.