Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grid Pattern on Sea Floor

lilthor

I read once that Persian Gulf wasnt sea at all once. Then that when sea level rise and with help of what is now dry shadow river in Saudi Arabia, caused floods in Persian Gulf. Some say that river cause floods in Sumer (Hint-Ur)

The company that took the image is DigitalGlobe they submitted it through Getty images. I have yet to find anything on what caused the grid pattern, some are supposing that it's an overlay from a sonar scan over the image, but something seems mildly fishy to me on that.

They submitted it to a top image vote on Facebook (Citation: HERE). No explanation from them. I'll send a message on FB and see if they have an explanation.

This is a satellite image and can also be seen on Google Earth. What is it? Squares are roughly half-mile in size.

Ho hum.

I've seen this a million times.

On a globe I had in my room as a kid.

Obviously, these are lines of latitude and longitude.

Harte

• Like 2

Obviously, these are lines of latitude and longitude.

Harte

And here was I thinking they finally found proof of the Griddin' of Eden

Edited by lilthor

Maybe google took the pic through the satellite's screen door.

Harte

• Like 1

It happened before:

Google Earth, in its latest bathymetry update, has removed a gridlike pattern that appeared in the previous version of its Google Ocean program. The pattern had sparked rumors that the legendary underwater city of Atlantis had been discovered.

When in 2009, Google Earth users noticed a large gridlike pattern in Google Ocean's bathymetry imagery of the seafloor that looked like the layout of a great underwater city, rumors spread quickly online that Atlantis had been found. But Google reacted, saying the pattern was not Atlantis but overlapping datasets. According to Fox News, the gridlike structure is a data artifact from the sonar method oceanographers use to map the seafloor. But because the gridlike pattern could not be immediately removed, it remained there for those who wished to believe it was the layout of the city of Atlantis to study.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/319113

Unusual grid patterns seen on maps of the ocean floor are created by ships taking higher-resolution sonar readings — to create better maps

When you see strange grid-like formations on the seafloor while using an online mapping tool, what you are really seeing is two (or more) different maps layered on top of each other. One map may show a large, low-resolution picture of the ocean floor. This map will show little detail and will look smooth. The other map, or 'data set,' often looks like a bunch of grid-like lines overlaying the smooth, low-detail map. The path of the lines show the paths traveled by the ships that gathered these higher-resolution sonar readings of smaller patches of the ocean.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/atlantis.html

• Like 2

The grid image itself crosses land, air and sea , congruently.... its not organicaly apart of the seed image.

Grid patterns are easiest to discern. Every Metropolitain appreciates ninety degree turns !

The island of Malta boasts a grid pattern deformed by tectonics.... often refered to as "cart tracks".

http://www.cartrutsmalta.com/

It happened before:

Google Earth, in its latest bathymetry update, has removed a gridlike pattern that appeared in the previous version of its Google Ocean program. The pattern had sparked rumors that the legendary underwater city of Atlantis had been discovered.

When in 2009, Google Earth users noticed a large gridlike pattern in Google Ocean's bathymetry imagery of the seafloor that looked like the layout of a great underwater city, rumors spread quickly online that Atlantis had been found. But Google reacted, saying the pattern was not Atlantis but overlapping datasets. According to Fox News, the gridlike structure is a data artifact from the sonar method oceanographers use to map the seafloor. But because the gridlike pattern could not be immediately removed, it remained there for those who wished to believe it was the layout of the city of Atlantis to study.

http://digitaljourna.../article/319113

Unusual grid patterns seen on maps of the ocean floor are created by ships taking higher-resolution sonar readings — to create better maps

When you see strange grid-like formations on the seafloor while using an online mapping tool, what you are really seeing is two (or more) different maps layered on top of each other. One map may show a large, low-resolution picture of the ocean floor. This map will show little detail and will look smooth. The other map, or 'data set,' often looks like a bunch of grid-like lines overlaying the smooth, low-detail map. The path of the lines show the paths traveled by the ships that gathered these higher-resolution sonar readings of smaller patches of the ocean.

http://oceanservice....s/atlantis.html

The image in question is a simple satellite photograph, not sonar. This means the so-called grid lines are visible as light reflection from high in the atmosphere...sonar plays no role whatsoever.

If the image is an inadvertant overlay or photoshop creation, it's puzzling why it would be vetted by Getty Images as one of "the best satellite photos of 2012".

The image in question is a simple satellite photograph, not sonar. This means the so-called grid lines are visible as light reflection from high in the atmosphere...sonar plays no role whatsoever.

If the image is an inadvertant overlay or photoshop creation, it's puzzling why it would be vetted by Getty Images as one of "the best satellite photos of 2012".

Well, if it's real and not caused by some hiccup, then maybe they found mythical Dilmun:

"For Dilmun, the land of my lady's heart, I will create long waterways, rivers and canals, whereby water will flow to quench the thirst of all beings and bring abundance to all that lives."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilmun

Well, if it's real and not caused by some hiccup, then maybe they found mythical Dilmun:

"For Dilmun, the land of my lady's heart, I will create long waterways, rivers and canals, whereby water will flow to quench the thirst of all beings and bring abundance to all that lives."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilmun

Nice.

I will drink to that (just in case).

US fifth fleet is home ported just a few km's to the north in Manama Harbour. Iran I believe has submarines based a few hundred km's to the East in Bandar Abbas. I would imagine the US Navy would like to avoid another Pearl Harbour. I would guess it is a shallow trenched hydrophone array to monitor the water column for the approaches to the harbour. Being set up as a grid a sensor array could vector a target quickly... Just a guess though

Heard back from them, no big answer but here ya go:

DigitalGlobe

Hello (redacted), we have not confirmed the pattern but believe it to be from a marine survey. I hope that helps and thank you for your message.

may be an old ground (underwater)seismic survey by those greedy oil men. easy to image/see thru the clean water!

they drag a magnetometer/gravimeter along the seabed with associated equip to search for LOTS AND LOTS MORE OIL TO SELL.

it's in many old historical google earth images, so it may have been done back in the heyday of the 1960s when the oil guys were sloppy and used crude equipment.

the depth of the water is relatively shallow, ideal for self supported oil rigs.

and it could be some fluke data artifact from some old overlays. i would think they would be more refined or precise if that was the case.

scrubbing old data sets (Petabytes in size!) is costly and may have just been omitted as well, perhaps easier to just leave it than to generate ANOTHER huge data set.

Edited by hapticz
  • Like 1

I've seen threads like this before. I was expecting something different then the photo in the OP. Usually lines under the sea are drag marks from anchors or fishing activities, but this appears to be too squared off for that. It does really appear to be a artifact of the original photo. Probably the photo was not cleaned up good enough to start with.

Shows up on Google Maps too, not just Google Earth. Might be the same base photo though.

Appears to be a sand bank or coral reef just off the eastern shore of Bahrain island in the Persian Gulf.

Since the water is fairly shallow, I'd guess that this could not go undetected by the almost million and a half people living in Bahrain. The feature (reef) appears to be about 12 miles or 20km long. So the lines would be roughly a mile across. None of the OP pic is above water.

The way google earth is put together is through pictures taken of the world and collated together. This grid could be a glitch in the fusing together of the pictures if you will.