Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Live praying mantis jumps out of herb bag

Still Waters

A mother of two preparing a Christmas stuffing mix in her kitchen got the shock of her life when she opened a bag of herbs from Tesco and a six-legged live praying mantis jumped out at her.

Linda Hebditch, 53, of Poole, Dorset, was about to chop up some sage when she found the predatory insect scurrying amongst the leaves imported from Israel in the 30g packet that cost 80p.

Mrs Hebditch and her son Ryan, 16, took the exotic creature to a pet shop where it was identified as the praying mantis - and insect experts believe it got into the bag before it was imported to the UK.

http://www.dailymail...-bag-herbs.html

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Ashotep

• me-wonders

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I went in Wal-Marts one day and when I got a cart I noticed a praying mantis in it. That can be a shock, :w00t: glad I saw it before I started putting stuff in the cart and got bit.

Hum, I believe some grasshoppers are kosher, but I don't know about about praying mantis?

Yes, just got back from googling and the quote is from Wikipedia.

Kosher locust

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

200px-Nomadacris_septemfasciata.jpg

magnify-clip.pngA red locust.

While the consumption of most insects is considered to be forbidden by Jewish Kosher Dietary laws, four varieties of locust are listed in the Torah as permissible. However, the identities of the four varieties are not completely clear.

Better not eat the praying mantis.

Edited by me-wonders