Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frogs in milk could lead to new drugs

Big Bad Voodoo

I wonder if that's why they say when you drink a lot of milk you can get a frog in your throat :unsure2: .......really! it's to do with an allergy to dairy products.

• Like 1

I can just see Nestle's Quik making a green cocoa powder and call it Nestle's Hoppers.

• Like 2

Ah I'll have the Kermit thick shake please with a slice of miss piggy sandwich. :tu:

• Like 3

Did that first frog jump in the milk pail or was it put in there against its will. PETA cares ya know.

I'd like to know what possessed the first person that decided it was a good idea to put a frog in with his milk to do such a thing?

diggum.jpg

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

I'd like to know who the first person was that decided it was a good idea to put a frog in with his milk?

Kermit the Wise; circa 200BCE

• Like 2

Frogs potions for the ancient world. http://www.amphibiainfo.com/folklore/

Frogs and Toads in Ancient Science

During the middle ages, societies showed more interest in science, namely the study of animals. Although these studies were embodied by myth and folklore, they were the stepping stones to modern biological sciences. The book Physiologus, from the middle ages, was perhaps the most important literary work pertaining to the science of animals during that time. In this book, frogs are divided into two categories; land frogs, and water frogs. Land frogs were considered a symbol of stamina and steadfastness, as they must endure the heat of the sun. Water frogs, on the other hand, symbolized cowardly behavior, and flight from danger.

In Alchemy, toads were also associated with flight, and symbolized the watery-earth portion of the Ur matter (primeval matter). Toads fall into alchemic beliefs as follows: The Ur matter on its way to the stone of wisdom must be saturated in the juice of the moon (milk) in order to be nourished. The child that is to grow is nursed by its mother, who gives her life in the process (ablactatio). This tale was metaphorically described in such inscriptions as, "Set a toad upon a woman's breast, so that it may suck, and the woman die, the toad will grow very large from the milk".

Amphibians were regarded in the ancient times, and into the middle ages, as possessing medicinal properties. Frog potions were used as aphrodisiacs, impotence and infertility preventions, contraceptives, and more. Frog liver was believed to consist of two halves, one of which is the antidote to all any poison in the world, and toad lungs were believed to be the means of the "perfect murder of a husband". Frogs were also used in rituals thought to remove any thoughts of adultery from ones wife, if performed correctly. Undoubtedly, many experienced illness or death after ingesting or applying some sort of frog-made brew that included the animals toxic secretions.

Edited by me-wonders
  • Like 3

I'd like to know what possessed the first person that decided it was a good idea to put a frog in with his milk to do such a thing?

diggum.jpg

:nw::tu:

• Like 2

I am sure the frog got into the bucket of milk itself. It might not have been noticed until the dipper reached the bottom of the bucket, and I am sure there was surprise that the milk stayed good for so long. This really is a big deal. When Louis Pasteur demonstrated that pasteurizing milk could make it safe to drink, people got very excited about the number of lives this would save. Most of the lives saved would be children. At this time, people may have had ice boxes, but not electric refrigerators, so keeping milk cold was a challenge. An Ice box is a box made cold by a chunk of ice. People who lived near lakes that froze were lucky, because then someone had a business, cutting blocks of ice and storing it, so it could later be sold. Of course the ice would melt in the ice box, and have to be replaced. Not as convenient as our refrigerators at all.

We take so much for granted today, such as refrigeration, and the ability to get milk whenever we want it, and that our milk will be safe to drink. This is not always how it was. In fact, for most of the human experience, this is not how life was. The problems with meat and milk lead to Jewish rules about keeping milk separate from meat and the number of days these things could be kept, before having to be thrown out or given to neighbors who were not God's chosen people (not one of us).

Yuck, poor frog....

So does this mean if your french you would have fog legs to go with your milk shake.

• Like 2

I always said frogs in milk was good, no one would listen, well now I can say "I toad you so"

• Like 3

Just thought of this: So all those people who claimed pasturization was best thing since sliced bread??? Are they like ,,,,,,,,,,,, Totallly uterly like Wrong???????

• Like 1

frogs and salamanders for sale. seasonal only. PM for results.

Now I'm wondering whats really in a squashed frog shot, that I've been drinking in the local. lol :cry:

• Like 1