Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you think this is?

Helen of Annoy

Been researching such claimed photo anomalies since the early 1990s - YES IT DOES.

All right, we obviously have different image processing chips installed.

What do you say about “toilet paper roll” above?

Been researching such claimed photo anomalies since the early 1990s - YES IT DOES.

I hope you're not saying that you're never wrong? :innocent:

Santa Clause was flying by in the second picture. Upper right in the trees. You can see his red coat and sleigh full of presents.

I really don't think it looks very much like breath myself, really. I do hope this doesn't make me Credulous and not Skeptical enough to pass muster. But you know something? I think I'd rather be. It must be so dreary to have be a hard nosed rationalist all the time. Use your imagination. It's so much more fun. :santa:

• Like 3

I promise to take few photos at night, when temperature drops and snow starts to fall, deliberately breathing like a maniac to see if the same pattern can be recreated.

I doubt it's the breath since I've seen similar anomalies in photos taken (by other people) in different weather and in different light and it just doesn't look like breath. Breath doesn't have tubular or angular structure.

I'm open for sceptic explanations if they are convincing.

Speaking of unconvincing explanations, here're two photos 15 or so years old, with miserable resolution (bad scans of small classic photos, I do keep the original film) but you can see that white spiralling thingy in the upper left corner. Some people told me it's clearly a roll of toilet paper flying through the air. Well, I think it's not. I also have no idea what exactly is it, but I like the way it looks like it follows us in the first photo, and how it's only partially in the second photo - therefore, whatever that was, it hovered there, in a spot in actual space, it's not a defect on film or paper. Or roll of paper *rolling my eyes*

that does look rather like the effect you get if you photograph a light, like a flashlight or candle, on a long exposure while it, or the camera, is moving. Although that wouldn't be likely to be the case here, but I do wonder if something may have been moving about in front of the lens that happened to catch the light at the time? Not trying to be Skeptical, just offering a suggestion.

Santa Clause was flying by in the second picture. Upper right in the trees. You can see his red coat and sleigh full of presents.

Aha. And he told me there will be only coals in your sock this year. *shakes tentacle in the air*

that does look rather like the effect you get if you photograph a light, like a flashlight or candle, on a long exposure while it, or the camera, is moving. Although that wouldn't be likely to be the case here, but I do wonder if something may have been moving about in front of the lens that happened to catch the light at the time? Not trying to be Skeptical, just offering a suggestion.

And it’s one sound suggestion, but as you can see from the photo, the exposure was not long at all, whatever that was it was spiralling there very fast. Or it has tubular, spiral structure.

I’m very sure nothing visually matching to the anomaly was falling or floating there. I’m rather paranoid and hypersensitive person (no, seriously, :lol: ) so I’m very aware of my surroundings at all times. I would most definitely notice a piece of plastic or reflective material, and even if that wasn’t so, the original photo, unlike this horrible scan, clearly shows elongated, tubular, spiralling and semi-transparent white something. And I’d write it off if it wasn’t in the second photo too. No bug or debris would make the same effect photographed from two slightly different angles. The positions both of the anomaly and the photographer are slightly different, so it’s not convincing to think a rare effect would occur never before and never again, but only in two consecutive but differently situated photos.

It’s not film or photo paper defect either, the only die-hard sceptic thing I’d possibly allow is some debris in the development process (these are classic photos taken and developed with equipment thought to be ancient today). But no other photo came out with similar anomalies, from that film batch, or from that particular developer.

That’s why I posted both the Spirit of Winter and this little Sprite of Autumn, I haven’t found convincing explanations for them yet. I’m prone to believe these are indeed some energies that sometimes get caught in photos. How, why only in rare photos, I have absolutely no idea.

Uh, too many words. Sorry :D

For a couple seconds I was looking for a bigfoot or a chupacabra to be in the background.

Boy was I disappointed. :lol:

For a couple seconds I was looking for a bigfoot or a chupacabra to be in the background.

Boy was I disappointed. :lol:

Now you know what it feels like to be me. Only I look for intelligent life, but the background and the disappointment are almost the same :D

Kidding. UM's crawling with smart people.

I really don't think it looks very much like breath myself, really. I do hope this doesn't make me Credulous and not Skeptical enough to pass muster. But you know something? I think I'd rather be. It must be so dreary to have be a hard nosed rationalist all the time. Use your imagination. It's so much more fun. :santa:

Maybe its Bigfoot breath? Maybe he was behind Helen. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Helen, in the first two photos, what is the line(about 1.5" long), which starts a bit above halfway down the right side, running at an angle of approx. 50 degrees to the vertical?

Maybe its Bigfoot breath? Maybe he was behind Helen. Just a thought.

No, he was sleeping tight like other sane people do around midnight. I'm proper night owl and I seized the opportunity to admire this year's first serious snow. Bigfoot was admiring it in the morning, while he was shovelling it away :D Hoping that was also this year's last serious snow :D

Helen, in the first two photos, what is the line(about 1.5" long), which starts a bit above halfway down the right side, running at an angle of approx. 50 degrees to the vertical?

Phone cable. Standard, very insulated, not damaged, fully functional. It looks white and much thicker than it is because of layer of snow.

There’s actually some 10 feet between the house and the pole but you can see only the illuminated part close to the house.

I was considering the possibility of some weird electric smog thing too, but I’ve took countless photos from that balcony and never got an anomaly like that before.

• Like 2

YOU CAUGHT your spirit.

Possibly the 1st time anyone has gotten a good picture.

Just a possibility and heres the expplantion why its absolutly possible.

Your body is just an operating system for your consciousness.

Your consciousness/aura has a field of up to 8feet from your body.

The brain is a mere comuting device your spirit uses to control your

body.

You can have an out of body experience in such a beautifull scene like that .

Or could just be a cloud.

clouds come down to earth otherwise known as fog and have been known to make some real interesting photos.

As for that tentacle looking thing that looks like wires from a pole kinda,Then it looks like a spidery type alien with long

arms crawling across the skymaybe a halograph.

Intresting pic,its the kinda pic hoaxers would take and run all the way to the end zone with ,making an outragous claim

What do YOU think it is? You were there. What was your impression att he time and why did you take the photos for?Im interested in that answer :)

Dom

Edited by silicasecrets
  • Like 1

YOU CAUGHT your spirit.

body.

I think this is a lovely idea! :clap:

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1

YOU CAUGHT your spirit.

body.

Or could just be a cloud.

clouds come down to earth otherwise known as fog and have been known to make some real interesting photos.

As for that tentacle looking thing that looks like wires from a pole kinda,Then it looks like a spidery type alien with long

arms crawling across the skymaybe a halograph.

Intresting pic,its the kinda pic hoaxers would take and run all the way to the end zone with ,making an outragous claim

What do YOU think it is? You were there. What was your impression att he time and why did you take the photos for?Im interested in that answer :)

Dom

What I think that was depends which of my minds you’ll ask.

But first, let me clear the tentacle alien thing again, it’s just a pole with several phone cables attached to it. Nothing extraordinary about it, except that I can’t believe our phone company can’t afford to put them underground.

Anyway, I have the “grownup” mind that would like to know what physical – optical to be precise – effect is that.

Then I have my “original” mind that is unscathed with modern scientific dogma of reality and that mind is quite sure I’ve caught a spirit of some kind.

My first thought after seeing an anomaly on camera display was: a ghost.

That’s not my first photo weirdness, I keep catching them, but I try to remain as objective as possible.

So I made sure I was extra extremely aware of everything around me, to help me decide later what exactly I’ve caught. That’s why I’m so sure it’s not smoke, snow, wind, cable, Bigfoot or anything. It’s not breath either because it wouldn’t be in only one photo, and besides, it’s digital camera, I don’t hold it near my face. It would take Siberian temperature or extreme condensation to dense breath into visible thickness. I wouldn’t bother to post it if I could find plausible materialist explanation.

Anyway, after transferring photos to my computer, seeing details, I was sure that’s no ghost. My original (childish if sceptics will) mind decided it feels more like elemental of some kind, or maybe a vila (Slavic fairy). Then ouija posted that lovely Spirit of Winter picture and I was amazed with similarity. The artist is obviously tapping the same archetype source as I do.

So even if my grownup mind stumbles upon completely convincing physical explanation, this anomaly will forever be the Spirit of Winter to my true mind.

I’m intrigued with possibility it’s my own spirit or aura posing, though I don’t think I’m energized enough to spark like that. On the other hand, I am walking catalogue of random parapsychological incidents, some of which left my grownup mind speechless, so why not taking photo of my own etheric substance too.

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 2

This is the kind of thing I like to see in this thread, people willing to use a bit of imagination rather than just saying "it's a glitch on the photo" or something, which is the usual default response.

• Like 3

As someone who has taken plenty of photos with glitches on them, I can tell you that they're usually a glitch in the photo.

That's actually very interesting, because I have taken many photos over the years(including of churchyards and very old buildings), and I can't remember ever having one with a 'glitch' in it! Absolutely nothing that made me say: 'What is that? Where did that come from?'. Sooo ........ are all yours glitches? *cue spooky music*

• Like 1

Yes, I know, I kind of answered my own question :lol: but besides being an anomaly, what do you think this is?

It was taken a week ago, it was snowing, obviously, but I've put a completely ordinary photo taken few seconds apart to show you what the photo was supposed to look like.

Hmmmmmm.

Any chance of seeing the originals, exactly as they were saved onto the memory card, including exif? (I'm happy to supply an email address by pm.)

I wonder did you hear any sound of the airplanes...Maybe its chemtrail. Maybe you are now contaminated. Did anyone said to you lately that you are changed? Did you noticed anything uncoommon? They say that first sign of contamination is music: Jingle bells, jingle bells. Second is that horns of the reindeer start to grow from your head...So if you find yourself naked in the forest, with bells around your neck, eating needles from the pine tree, you might search for mirror. But thats just speculation. :santa:

Edited by the L

Hmmmmmm.

Any chance of seeing the originals, exactly as they were saved onto the memory card, including exif? (I'm happy to supply an email address by pm.)

Sure, but only half of the photo, because if you imply I’ve manipulated my photos, then I’m implying you would like to steal my work.

The resolution in the original post should be more than enough for a professional photographer (or convincing amateur) to tell me what known defect that is, is it (obviously rare) physical phenomenon or equipment malfunction.

Speaking of which, the camera is new Olympus VG-110, had Olympus mjus before and classic Olympuses, never caught anything like that in thousands of photos, classic or digital. I caught various other stuff, more or less common and explained, I know what various common effects and malfunctions look like. This is not that common.

For example, I wouldn't post a photo with an orb in this section, since they are easily explained with droplets or particles in the air or on the lens. I wouldn't post regular breath or smoke effects (note I posted one with smoke to show how much the anomaly is not like it). I wouldn't post red glow photos from classic film, it's just the exposure. And so on. So I'm not an idiot.

Not a hoaxer either, though I'm aware that If anyone doubts the originality of the photo, we can only keep repeating ourselves - you can keep repeating you suspect I’ve manipulated them, I can keep repeating I didn’t. Because even the data from the memory card is fakeable, you know.

So the discussion makes sense only if you can trust me I didn’t change anything. I absolutely do understand some of us would like it to be breath, some of us would like it to be ectoplasm and the only thing I know for sure is that I’m not sure what it is. Except I’m sure no one tampered the photo.

(Whole original would be at disposal to professionals, but I think they already had a lot of such anomalies in hands. Since it wasn’t written about, they probably haven’t explained them. Yet. Like I said before, I’m not an idiot, I’m only not religiously materialist.)

I wonder did you hear any sound of the airplanes...Maybe its chemtrail. Maybe you are now contaminated. Did anyone said to you lately that you are changed? Did you noticed anything uncoommon? They say that first sign of contamination is music: Jingle bells, jingle bells. Second is that horns of the reindeer start to grow from your head...So if you find yourself naked in the forest, with bells around your neck, eating needles from the pine tree, you might search for mirror. But thats just speculation. :santa:

You seriously have to cut on whatever that is that you’re using :lol:

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 1

You seriously have to cut on whatever that is that you’re using :lol:

To stop using Vrbnička žlahtina in Christmas time?Hm...I would rather stop using UM.

Dont get me wrong. I see it as condesation. I try to gave you alternative- Chemtrail.

Edited by the L
  • Like 1

To stop using Vrbnička žlahtina in Christmas time?Hm...I would rather stop using UM.

Dont get me wrong. I see it as condesation. I try to gave you alternative- Chemtrail.

You can see what qualifies as chemtrails quite often in this area, thin layer of artificial clouds across the sky as far as you can see, with visible original trails dissolving more than slow. Though it’s explainable with right combination of air traffic and atmospheric situation, I’m not sure what’s the whole, true story. It probably is just a combo of nothing that matters, except that making artificial cloud layer does matter, accidental or not, vapour or more than just vapour. But I wouldn’t faint if it was an actual project with actual agenda, from influencing weather to deforestation or depopulation or immunisation, for that matter, who the **** knows, and were there any sane people in power ever?

In short, neither there were planes at the time photo was taken, nor I caught similar anomaly on any chemtrail day.

It’s not chemtrail.

Could be condensation, but I still wait for a physicist or a photographer (or a convincing amateur) to explain how, why so rare etc.

You can see what qualifies as chemtrails quite often in this area, thin layer of artificial clouds across the sky as far as you can see, with visible original trails dissolving more than slow. Though it’s explainable with right combination of air traffic and atmospheric situation, I’m not sure what’s the whole, true story. It probably is just a combo of nothing that matters, except that making artificial cloud layer does matter, accidental or not, vapour or more than just vapour. But I wouldn’t faint if it was an actual project with actual agenda, from influencing weather to deforestation or depopulation or immunisation, for that matter, who the **** knows, and were there any sane people in power ever?

In short, neither there were planes at the time photo was taken, nor I caught similar anomaly on any chemtrail day.

It’s not chemtrail.

Could be condensation, but I still wait for a physicist or a photographer (or a convincing amateur) to explain how, why so rare etc.

What a penetrating post...

Thats why I said earlier that you are "dragon" lady.

Sure, but only half of the photo, because if you imply I’ve manipulated my photos, then I’m implying you would like to steal my work.

Gee, thanks for the implication. I withdraw my offer and I won't be biting on your posts again.

To use your words.. You seriously think those images are valuable? Good luck with your sales pitch..