Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I am violent

markdohle

I am violent. I have strong inner images that suggest that I fight, overcome my enemies with force and as well as overcome the rights of others so that I can get what I want. I am also a man who has compassion and love for others and am a care giver by trade. I am both angel and beast, perhaps we all are. I believe for anyone to be just a decent everyday human being takes a great deal of inner balance, self knowledge and discipline. We do it so often that this reality can be overlooked.

Violent games and movies are loved my men. I love them, know they are fantasy, but they are in fact violent. Men are war like, we are built to fight, to protect, to attack as well. This of course works against us, this instinct to fight and overcome others. Wars are the outcome of this inner war forced out upon others.

Women can be violent as well. The very best of us has an inner beast, as well as an inner reptile that we all need to deal with. For some, I consider myself one of those, we may need to be more aware to simply keep this inner 'self' under control. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde a story based on fact, not fantasy. Two sides, two faces, two ways to do things….We are divided, at war with ourselves, well many of us are.

I do agree however that if those entities that exist just to make money, would consider the long term effects their games, drugs and foods have on our society it may help things a bit. We are part of our culture, all of us; none of us are free from the influences of TV, mags, internet and our friends.

We are sinners, we miss the mark, we are yet fully human.......perhaps mostly beast at this junction of our evolution. Yet I have hope, for most people struggle like I do just to make it through the day and to hopefully make this world a better place. I think this is God’s grace at work in all of our lives, a part and parcel of all existence.

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 4

I am violent. I have strong inner images that suggest that I fight, overcome my enemies with force and as well as overcome the rights of others so that I can get what I want. I am also a man who has compassion and love for others and am a care giver by trade. I am both angel and beast, perhaps we all are. I believe for anyone to be just a decent everyday human being takes a great deal of inner balance, self knowledge and discipline. We do it so often that this reality can be overlooked.

Violent games and movies are loved my men. I love them, know they are fantasy, but they are in fact violent. Men are war like, we are built to fight, to protect, to attack as well. This of course works against us, this instinct to fight and overcome others. Wars are the outcome of this inner war forced out upon others.

Not true. I am male, at at 49 years of age I have never found a need to start a physical fight. I have on occasion thrown a punch or two in self-defence, but I don't start fights. The vast majority of friends and relatives have the same experience.

Men are not war-like in general. I detest war as do most I know. I detest games and movies which are based on gratuitous violence.

How many "enemies" do you have that you have to overcome them with force?

Sounds like you are a powder keg with a short fuse. I don't mean to be insulting saying this, but I would suggest you seek some sort of treatment for your feelings. Even if you manage to restrain your desire to use force, it must have you living a hellish life having such seething anger withing you.

• Like 1

Not true. I am male, at at 49 years of age I have never found a need to start a physical fight. I have on occasion thrown a punch or two in self-defence, but I don't start fights. The vast majority of friends and relatives have the same experience.

Men are not war-like in general. I detest war as do most I know. I detest games and movies which are based on gratuitous violence.

How many "enemies" do you have that you have to overcome them with force?

Sounds like you are a powder keg with a short fuse. I don't mean to be insulting saying this, but I would suggest you seek some sort of treatment for your feelings. Even if you manage to restrain your desire to use force, it must have you living a hellish life having such seething anger withing you.

Actually no, I am not a powder keg. It is those who don't know that they have a lot of anger that it can explode. When named it does not leak out. Read the papers, read history, look deeper into your family history, the secrets, you may be surprised. I have not been in a fight for 45 years. The last one was when I was a teenager and I did some damage and learned a lesson. The tendency to fight can be the same as the tendency to have sex, or to eat etc. It is not something to be feared.

I am glad that you and hopefully your family are the way you are, still in the depths we still have the mammal and repetile living.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

peace

mark

I think people do have two sides to them. Most of us control our urges or the mean side but some don't. They in turn end up bringing out the beast side in those they bestow their beast on. We put forth our good side as long as its allowed and it doesn't threaten our well being to do so.

I grew up in a violent household and know personally of psychic and emotional repercussions. I raised my children to be peaceful and look for non-violent responses. Because my sons are 6' 4", it was important that they learned to use their strength in behalf of others instead bullying & intimidating. Part of dealing with violence, I think, is to recognize that instant transition the mind sometimes makes that urges us to react instead of act, and to have the maturity and self-control to do that. Every now & then I'm confronted with something that triggers a physical response, usually some act or word of stupidity that makes me want to smack that person. It's like there's a witness in me that is aware of the dynamics but not a part of it, and it's always the witness that restrains me. And yeah, that whole testosterone thing is a booger to deal with, along with the wounds and injustices we receive during the course of a lifetime.

• Like 2

Well it's a violent world so what's the problem exactly? Violence is in everyone and someday you'll probably have to use it. It's in nature and it's kept us alive for millenia and it will continue to do so.

Unless you think you're a compulsive violent mad man who lashes out for no reason in which case go get help.

• Like 2

I have fought a lot, only with bullies & never for my own sake :innocent: but I too feel the devil inside me. suppressed!, ignored! but alive & powerful. :devil: Muhaha... ehem! what was i saying?

• Like 1

Well it's a violent world so what's the problem exactly? Violence is in everyone and someday you'll probably have to use it. It's in nature and it's kept us alive for millenia and it will continue to do so.

Unless you think you're a compulsive violent mad man who lashes out for no reason in which case go get help.

True it is a violent world. The human species is no different than any other animal species on this planet. We may think we are civilized and above the other beasts but we are in fact just like them. It is in our nature. We are wild animals occasionally in sheep clothing.

• Like 2

Unlike most beasts we do have the ability to think, reason, extrapolate, consider consequences of our actions, etc., to a greater or lesser degree. Yeah, I think the capability towards violence exists in everyone, but some have the ability to act, to consciously choose, to decide what behaviors are appropriate and beneficial and the ones that aren't. It can useful as a survival mechanism, but it's a tool I seldom use. If I thought it was necessary and saw no alternative, I would probably choose to use it, but I would also be aware of the consequences of that choice.

• Like 2

I grew up in a violent household and know personally of psychic and emotional repercussions. I raised my children to be peaceful and look for non-violent responses. Because my sons are 6' 4", it was important that they learned to use their strength in behalf of others instead bullying & intimidating. Part of dealing with violence, I think, is to recognize that instant transition the mind sometimes makes that urges us to react instead of act, and to have the maturity and self-control to do that. Every now & then I'm confronted with something that triggers a physical response, usually some act or word of stupidity that makes me want to smack that person. It's like there's a witness in me that is aware of the dynamics but not a part of it, and it's always the witness that restrains me. And yeah, that whole testosterone thing is a booger to deal with, along with the wounds and injustices we receive during the course of a lifetime.

Thank you Beany, well said and helpful for me to read.

peace

mark

We have used violence to deal with problems all through history, yet things get worse. I doubt it is the answer. For the lower animals, bound by instinct, violence is not really a problem, for humans, revenge and violence can almost be a drug, though it gives little release. The problem? Read the newspapers, it kind of shows the tip of the iceberg. Anger is not bad, it can help to fight injustice, but when out of control, well we all know the result.

peace

mark

I have fought a lot, only with bullies & never for my own sake :innocent: but I too feel the devil inside me. suppressed!, ignored! but alive & powerful. :devil: Muhaha... ehem! what was i saying?

LOL, supressed by it seems obvious not repressed :gun:

peace

mark

True it is a violent world. The human species is no different than any other animal species on this planet. We may think we are civilized and above the other beasts but we are in fact just like them. It is in our nature. We are wild animals occasionally in sheep clothing.

Actually instinct protects the lower animals, we don't have that, hence the problem. Lower animals don't have music, philosophy, music, religion etc. So we are the same in some ways, but very different in others.

Peace

mark

I know exactly how it is to grow up in a violent household. My father beat me up when I was 7 with a belt because he was angry about something and he drew blood. His landlady called social services and I ended up in foster care. When I was 16 I was returned to his 'care' and once again he beat me up and broke my nose with a portable cassete boombox. Why because his girlfriend cheated on him. Everything in HIS life was my fault because I ruined it by being born. When he tried to prove a point when I was 35 he threatened me with physical violence in front of my children. I threw him out and told him I was not afraid of him anymore and that if he ever laid a hand on me again that would be the last time. He left in a huff slamming the door behind him. I opened it and slammed it again to make my point I guess. The problem was he grew up in a violent household that went back many generations. I decided my children will not be exposed to senseless violence and often I had to struggle with myself to change my thinking and behavior as I was sometimes reacting like my father. But now all my kids are married and happy and they discuss things rather than resort to violence. I think violence begets violence. It had to stop somewhere. Find another outlet for anger and violence. I think we all have the capability for violence even women. But we have the ability to control those feelings and actions.

• Like 3

i have picked probably one of the most violent professions to pursue but i dont see myself as a violent person oddly enough.

• Like 2

Women can be violent as well. The very best of us has an inner beast, as well as an inner reptile that we all need to deal with. For some, I consider myself one of those, we may need to be more aware to simply keep this inner 'self' under control. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde a story based on fact, not fantasy. Two sides, two faces, two ways to do things….We are divided, at war with ourselves, well many of us are.

I do agree however that if those entities that exist just to make money, would consider the long term effects their games, drugs and foods have on our society it may help things a bit. We are part of our culture, all of us; none of us are free from the influences of TV, mags, internet and our friends.

We are sinners, we miss the mark, we are yet fully human.......perhaps mostly beast at this junction of our evolution. Yet I have hope, for most people struggle like I do just to make it through the day and to hopefully make this world a better place. I think this is God’s grace at work in all of our lives, a part and parcel of all existence.

There is the ever present battle of the anima and the spirit mark. To rise above it you must be aware of it. We are forever locked in this battle for the evolution of our selves. I have personal belief that it is the next stage of humanity to shed it.

• Like 3

The beast you talk about is a basic animal instict there for survival of bodily desires and life of its own. You must know it for what it is and control it, you are the master. It is the ego of the body vs the higher spirit.

People like ants have a society that likes to make organized wars it is part of our ancestry. We must remember being a higher intelligence requires responsibility. Glorifying wars throughout history makes the next generation with the same violent tendencies to be proud to fight and kill when there could be others ways to overcome. Society glorifies a soldier but the soldier is really a pawn for the leaders both good and evil. The underlying fact is that there are dark forces and people who feed from this energy released in the violence of war. It brings them power to fullfill their own selfish worldly desires. It is hard when surrounded by bad circumstances but do not let yourself be consumed by the beast within. The beast is there to give you strength and protect you, if you are not it's master it will be yours and consume you as well as your enemies.

• Like 1

Life is a fight on its own the way we walk it depends on how we tread respectfully. I was bullied as a child, the older i get the quicker i become at recognising the things that I refuse to put up with in turn I'm wise enough now to tackle it with grace.

As a mother my only fear is the need to split the earth wide open at the thought of anything happening to my children. I'm at a matured state now where nothing shallow bothers me at all, yet religion and governments still make's my blood boil. It's about expectations and how they can change so offen in life. Aslong as I have to strong arms I know I can save my kids from most harm but without the heart all is useless. As much as my reality confirms what I can see for my own eyes, I know that i'll will ask for hope when my time comes.

• Like 2

People like ants have a society that likes to make organized wars it is part of our ancestry. We must remember being a higher intelligence requires responsibility. Glorifying wars throughout history makes the next generation with the same violent tendencies to be proud to fight and kill when there could be others ways to overcome. Society glorifies a soldier but the soldier is really a pawn for the leaders both good and evil.

You reminded me of a very cool song and film clip.

[/url]
  • Like 1

The important thing to remember is that no matter how irritatingly difficult it may be, it can be overcome.

• Like 1

i have picked probably one of the most violent professions to pursue but i dont see myself as a violent person oddly enough.

Well you do have a healthy outlet...legal fighting ;-).

Peace

mark

There is the ever present battle of the anima and the spirit mark. To rise above it you must be aware of it. We are forever locked in this battle for the evolution of our selves. I have personal belief that it is the next stage of humanity to shed it.

I agree, however the shedding, we may not make it.

peace

mark

• Like 1

You reminded me of a very cool song and film clip.

[/url]

Funny that is my favorite song by them.

Peace

mark