Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery of Piltdown man hoax 'solved'

Still Waters

The mystery of the Piltdown man hoax may have finally been solved by scientists who have been re-examining the evidence.

It was a hoax that fooled some of the most eminent minds in the country and has remained unsolved for 100 years.

Now scientists believe they can finally put to rest the mystery of how one of the most famous scientific frauds in history was orchestrated and who was responsible for creating the fake remains of a human ancestor known as Piltdown man.

http://www.telegraph...an-to-rest.html

• Like 2

What people won't do to be recognized. This is the reason you should get a second opinion.

I don't understand Sir Arthur Conan Doyles role...why is he a suspect?

Edited by Lava_Lady

I don't understand Sir Arthur Conan Doyles role...why is he a suspect?

The reason Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a suspect in the Piltdown hoax is because he was really into spiritualism, something that the scientific community frowned upon and never accepted as fact. According to science historian Richard Milner, Doyle perpetrated the hoax in order to get revenge. Some have claimed that Doyle left a number of clues to the hoax in his novel The Lost World which came out the same year Piltdown was discovered.

Doyle was so into spiritualism that he sometimes got taken in by hoaxes himself, such as the Cottingley faries case.

I'm not saying I believe he was the one who faked the fossils, but he atleast did have a motive.

Posted by theSOURCE's friend with his permission. :)

Yeah... this is sort of like "Who was Jack the Ripper/Atlantis found/Noahs Ark found/ect." stories that come out ever few years.

Some of my favorates were the Cardiff Giant and the Minnisota IceMan.

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems, once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. And, this remainder is often the most mundane of truths.

• Like 1