Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boehner offers debt-ceiling increase

questionmark

House Speaker John A. Boehner has offered to push any fight over the federal debt limit off for a year, a concession that would deprive Republicans of leverage in the budget battle but is breathing new life into stalled talks over the year-end “fiscal cliff.”

The offer came Friday, according to people in both parties familiar with the talks, as part of the latest effort by Boehner (R-Ohio) to strike a deal with President Obama to replace more than $500 billion in painful deficit-reduction measures set to take effect in January.

With the national debt already bumping up against a $16.4 trillion cap set last year, Congress risks a government default unless it acts to raise the debt ceiling in the next few months. Some Republicans had argued that party leaders should use the threat of default to demand additional spending cuts from Obama.

read more

So, anything but pay taxes?

I was watching moyer and company last night on PBS and he was interviewing a couple of eonomist authors who seemed to have democratic leanings and both of them were of the opinion that our government should let fall over the so-called economic cliff happen. They actually said it would more accurately be labled a steep economic slope.

I was watching moyer and company last night on PBS and he was interviewing a couple of eonomist authors who seemed to have democratic leanings and both of them were of the opinion that our government should let fall over the so-called economic cliff happen. They actually said it would more accurately be labled a steep economic slope.

That is because the Democrats have much less to loose among the electorate if it goes downhill then the Republican electorate. They just can keep on their stance of tax increases or no deal. The Reps are getting desperate.

I've been hearing people say we should let it fall over the cliff too. Wonder what would happen if we did.

Tax increases sometimes are necessary but I think because of economic conditions the middle class and lower are paying all they can. They don't have the deductions the upper class can come up with.

Boehner also offered a tax increase for those making a million or more I notice you cleverly left that part out.

• Like 1

the middle class tax burden now is -5% according to forbes so I wouldnt say that is too much of a burden it is the very wealthy that are getting hosed as they are allready responsible for around 60% of the total tax burden. and they are the ones everyone says arent paying there fair share sounds to me like the ones that arent paying there fair share is the middle class

It should go over the cliff. Everyone...bar none...everyone...has been living beyond their means...it is absolutely insane..."I'll gladly pay you Wednesday for a hamburger today"...how long do you think this crap can go on? People need to grow up. Maybe...you cannot afford to have an I-phone 5...maybe you cannot have the super duper voice and data plan....too damn bad.

I am sick of seeing our economy tank because our sheep cannot figure out they cannot have everything they want....let her tank buddy! It's time some idiots find their places...you are not rich and no...you cannot live like you are...

hr50829b12.gif

If you want all the super goodies technology has to offer...get a better job. If you cannot afford it...too damn bad. No...it is not ok to rack up debt and file bankruptcy and start over living beyond your means. Some folks are going to be poor and some are not....too bad if you lose that one. Maybe...you should not have worried about the popularity contest and should have studied your classes more.

I am sick of seeing this shiz rubbed in our face...like everyone is equal...we are NOT all equal...some folks are smarter and harder working than others...if you buy into the "all is equal" plan...you are a moron and you are exactly why our shiz is tanking...thanks alot by the way....

Edited by Jeremiah65

I've been hearing people say we should let it fall over the cliff too. Wonder what would happen if we did.

The first thing would be a collective cry of "******* America!" from the rest of the world as we're dragged down with you.

I believe Obama demanded a 2 year extension on the debt ceiling. He wants a chance to have control back with the house of representitives, then watch the fireworks and mass spending binge.

If the REPUBs force Obama against the debt ceiling, Obama will sign an Executive Order to keep the govt running smoothly, cuz that is his job...lol.. HOORAH!

If we went over "the cliff", the media would have a field day fear mongering how grandma won't get her social security check, how the troops in Afghanistan will be starving and out of ammunition, and how any other check/loan/stimulus that won't get written on time will affect the recipient of that money. The whiny and the needy will put even more pressure on our universally despised Congress to make up even more rhetoric posing as responsibility and as always, blame the other party, until they can get the kicker back out on the field to punt the problem once again. And that's what we hear happening already yet again as Boener went soft offering a debt-ceiling increase.

And if we don't "go over the cliff", the same thing will happen. It just won't happen late, but "on time" such that it follows the bureau's own self-imposed schedule (based entirely on how fast the money that they have to keep borrowing runs out).

If we went over "the cliff", the media would have a field day fear mongering how grandma won't get her social security check, how the troops in Afghanistan will be starving and out of ammunition, and how any other check/loan/stimulus that won't get written on time will affect the recipient of that money. The whiny and the needy will put even more pressure on our universally despised Congress to make up even more rhetoric posing as responsibility and as always, blame the other party, until they can get the kicker back out on the field to punt the problem once again. And that's what we hear happening already yet again as Boener went soft offering a debt-ceiling increase.

And if we don't "go over the cliff", the same thing will happen. It just won't happen late, but "on time" such that it follows the bureau's own self-imposed schedule (based entirely on how fast the money that they have to keep borrowing runs out).

In either scenario I think we see the credit rating agencies call us on our collective BS. And any "savings" that might have been achieved will be more than lost in higher interest rates. But the punter is about to be standing OUT THE BACK of his own endzone....
  • Like 1

It should go over the cliff. Everyone...bar none...everyone...has been living beyond their means...it is absolutely insane...

Except me. I have NEVER borrowed a dime or bought ANYTHING on time. (except 10 acres on a land contract that i paid off early)

I'm in favor of anything that forces major cuts in every single Federal government department and program.

Every single one of them. Cut them to the bone, then we'll talk about raising taxes.

So being a preper in US isn't such a bad idea afterall... because when that happens whole hell will get loose..