Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People who fake military experience

little_dreamer

Do you have any experience with people who bragged about fake or exagerrated military experience. Is this common? I've casually talked to people who said they were veterans of some kind. My family does not have a recent military background so I don't know enough about it.

This is a general question relating to this post. Some people are being promoted, networking based on fake military experience.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=229447&st=0&p=4345315&hl=+valorentry4345315

Stolen Valor Act

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-109publ437/html/PLAW-109publ437.htm

I suppose it's the Walter Mitty syndrome, isn't it. Also found in (for example) people who claim to be Astronauts, therefore adding credibility to their claims of knowing the truth about Extraterrestrials.

• Like 1

There seems to be plenty in the field of ufology. They embellish what they were exposed to, especially if they had secret clearance or higher or work for some black-ops organizations.

• Like 1

i have met a few of these sad people, i live not too far from the SAS base, the local pubs have a few individuals that claim to either have been or still are in 'the regiment' of course had they really been they would never brag about it. I also worked with one man who was a compulsive lair he claimed to have been both in the army and the police, however i was his manager and had access to his file so i knew his employment history from school, he also once phoned in sick after claiming to have fallen down the stairs on his way to work and broken his ankle, he lived in a bungalow.....

I've encountered quite a few on the net. What they fail to realize is that after a few minutes of conversation anyone that has actually been in the military can spot their hogwash. I talked to a guy in chat room about 2 months ago that said he was in the Army and had been to Iraq 3 times... The only question I asked him was what his MOS was... he dodged that question for quite a bit before ponying up that he didnt know what an MOS is... Ive had people try to convince me that they were officers and NCO's alike... There was a gent in a chat room once that tried to convince me he was a fighter pilot... (he was 19). So it seems to be commonplace in this digital era.

There was an old guy here in NZ, I'm talking in his 60's or 70's, who wore some veitnam medals at the RSA. All the other old Returned Servicemen found out he'd never been to Veitnam and they gave him a right verbal bashing, kicked him out and struck his name off the list of Returned Servicemen.. Even wearing medals and claiming you served when you didn't is seriously frowned upon in NZ.

I've encountered quite a few on the net. What they fail to realize is that after a few minutes of conversation anyone that has actually been in the military can spot their hogwash. I talked to a guy in chat room about 2 months ago that said he was in the Army and had been to Iraq 3 times... The only question I asked him was what his MOS was... he dodged that question for quite a bit before ponying up that he didnt know what an MOS is... Ive had people try to convince me that they were officers and NCO's alike... There was a gent in a chat room once that tried to convince me he was a fighter pilot... (he was 19). So it seems to be commonplace in this digital era.

But how would us non-military folk be able to spot them?

But how would us non-military folk be able to spot them?

I suspect one way would be that they talk about their experiences "During the war" a great deal. I think people who actually have done tend not to do that so much.

• Like 1

I suspect one way would be that they talk about their experiences "During the war" a great deal. I think people who actually have done tend not to do that so much.

I think a lot of that depends on the context. Many old soldiers like nothing more than to 'pull up a sandbag' and swap stories with their contemporaries, whether from their own 'outfits' or some other. But I don't think it would be easy for a civilian to tell unless the tales were very tall!

I must admit, I do tend to rabbit on a bit from time to time, but it's only because I miss the comradeship of 'my lads' and the Regimental 'family', neither of which can be imitated in Civvy Street.

I think a lot of that depends on the context. Many old soldiers like nothing more than to 'pull up a sandbag' and swap stories with their contemporaries, whether from their own 'outfits' or some other. But I don't think it would be easy for a civilian to tell unless the tales were very tall!

I must admit, I do tend to rabbit on a bit from time to time, but it's only because I miss the comradeship of 'my lads' and the Regimental 'family', neither of which can be imitated in Civvy Street.

i think that's probably the difference with the Walter Mitty types, the difference between sharing yarns with your pals and sharing them with anyone you meet in order to impress them, particularly when these people are Ladies.

• Like 1

Does a guy who pretended to be a navy seal but really was a cook count?

• Like 2

Every country has 'em......

http://www.telegraph...ay-marcher.html

He should have thrown in World War I medals as well. This seems to be a global problem.

i think that's probably the difference with the Walter Mitty types, the difference between sharing yarns with your pals and sharing them with anyone you meet in order to impress them, particularly when these people are Ladies.

That must have been when I heard it!

Does a guy who pretended to be a navy seal but really was a cook count?

You need far more courage and military know-how to be a military cook than a SEAL! (Especially if you have to fabricate a SatCom system out of an umbrella, two milk crates and a cheeseburger to contact US Naval HQ and defeat the terrorists, aided only by a blonde piece of crumpet with amazing legs!)

• Like 3

He should have thrown in World War I medals as well. This seems to be a global problem.

From WWIi, WWI, the battle of Waterloo, the American War of Independence, the battle of Hastings, and perhaps the siege of Troy as well.

From WWIi, WWI, the battle of Waterloo, the American War of Independence, the battle of Hastings, and perhaps the siege of Troy as well.

Any medal or decoration is readily available from on-line 'replacement' manufacturers without any form of authorisation, unfortunately. (They'll even engrave Number, Rank and Name on them for you). - As far back as the Boer War, I believe! (I haven't seen any Crimean medals yet!)

You need far more courage and military know-how to be a military cook than a SEAL! (Especially if you have to fabricate a SatCom system out of an umbrella, two milk crates and a cheeseburger to contact US Naval HQ and defeat the terrorists, aided only by a blonde piece of crumpet with amazing legs!)

I was very interested in his combat training. He would not give me the time of day. I thought I was being pushy, I found out latter he was lieing his ass off. I did meet somebody that was another type of special forces. I asked him what kind of hand to hand training he had. He said barely any. I was young and he was comeing to me for training and I was curious what I had to offer him. He was much older and obviously much more adept than I. I said well what happens when you have to fight, he said, you shoot them. I said ok I mean what happens if you run out of bullets or you don't have guns, he said, you stabb them.. Ok ok I said, what happens when you don't have a knife or a gun? He's says... Well .., then your dead.

heavens, you actually met Steven Seagal?! :cry:

• Like 1

heavens, you actually met Steven Seagal?! :cry:

Shh. Yes, but he doesn't talk about it! s11952.gif

• Like 1

Nope;never met anyone like that. Now my late father;who was a vetran of three wars(WW2,,Korea and Vietnam) I'm sure could spot a phony if he ever met one.

Same with any medals they are wearing.These guys are pathetic.

• Like 1

I don't know about everyone else but I have little respect for someone that fakes military experience. They just can't walk in their shoes and they will never fill them.

As someone with 87 years of military experience and a veteran of 17 major conflicts , I have zero tolerance for ANYONE faking military experience.

• Like 2

Met them? heck, one was a member of my family. Claimed service in WWII, Korean, and 'Nam. I guess he believed no one would do the math.