Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ireland to legalise abortion

Still Waters

The Irish government is to introduce legislation legalising abortions when the mother’s life is at risk, weeks after the death of Savita Halappanavar, who died after being refused an abortion.

The move is expected to spark a major battle with the Roman Catholic Church.

Ireland’s cabinet took the decision on Tuesday following a huge public outcry over the death of Mrs Halappanavar, a pregnant woman in October who died after her repeated requests for an abortion were refused while she was suffering a miscarriage.

http://www.telegraph...e-abortion.html

• Like 1

Well that is good news, good step forward.

I can understand the argument on abortion under normal circumstances. I don't actually know which side of the fence I sit on with normal circumstances, it's a very tough decision to make and I feel sorry for anyone in the situation where they have to consider it or go through with it.

But where the mothers life is at risk and the baby will not survive anyway, it's absolutely stupid to not save the mothers life by refusing an abortion. Isn't it bad enough one life is lost? Out of respect to the baby's life the mother should be saved. Otherwise the baby died for nothing.

• Like 4

Who wants to put money on when the first terrorist bombing of an abortion clinic will happen in Ireland?

They even put a 'risk of suicide' under the whole 'mother's life at risk'. That's good, that's always been one of my points about pregnancies coming from rapes, the mental trauma it would force on someone to go through is horrifying.

• Like 1

There was a huge protest to legalize abortions in Dublin last month.

• Like 1

personally I think that someone should tell the churtch that "Go Forth and Be Fruitful" in a world with almost 7 billion people in it no longer applies. In My Opinion, even though i am not an advocate of abortion, it should be the womans choice, Not the church, Not the government's, and Not mine,

• Like 2

I don't think most people care much about what the Catholic church or other churches think about this. That's why anymore a lot of Catholics and other Christians take birth control as they should in a already over populated world.

I don't like it when women use abortion as a form of birth control but sometimes its necessary.

Well it's a start,but it's time to move into the 21st century and leave Catholic middle ages Dogma behind.

• Like 1

|I was wondering when this would happen. They sure got a lot of flack from the rest of the world.

They deserved it,it should never have happened...

They deserved it,it should never have happened...

I agreee. I was just flabbergasted when I first read the story.

The reality is that it will allow for abortion in a tiny number of cases and the person will have to go up infront of a board of psychiatrists to argue their eligability. There is no choice or automatic right to an abortion on the table.

Meanwhile thousands of well to do people will continue to send their daughters on the ferry/plane over to England to procure abortions when accidents happen. Its more hypocracy from the nation of hypocrites.

Br Corneelius