Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brian May should replace Sir Patrick Moore

Waspie_Dwarf

The next Sky at Night Presenter  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think should replace Sir Patrick on the Sky at Night?

• Brian May
    • Prof Brian Cox
    • Chris Lintott (Sir Patrick's co-presenter)
    • Other (please post who you think this should be)
    • No one. There can be no Sky at Night without Sir Patrick

Brian May should replace Sir Patrick Moore on Sky At Night, astronomy experts say

Sir Patrick, who fronted the monthly astronomy show since its launch in 1957, cultivated a “mad professor” image which attracted millions of viewers and helped him to popularise the science. He died earlier this month, aged 89, leaving the BBC with a key vacancy to fill.

Academics said the corporation should turn to Mr May, an astrophysicist and close friend of Sir Patrick, to take up the mantle.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 1

I don't know who I'd vote for, I certainly wouldn't vote for Brian Cox though.

I think he is far too up himself and it bothers me slightly. I also view him as a "celebrity". I personally think that discredits him. There was something about Patrick Moore that you wouldn't class him as a "celebrity". (even though i did love him on Gamemaster LOL)

I don't know who I'd vote for, I certainly wouldn't vote for Brian Cox though.

I like Brian Cox. The reason why I wouldn't want him as the Sky at Night presenter is simply because he isn't an astronomer, he's a particle physicist.

• Like 1

I like Brian Cox. The reason why I wouldn't want him as the Sky at Night presenter is simply because he isn't an astronomer, he's a particle physicist.

I thought he was a physicist of some sort but didn't say in case I was wrong. lol

I still think he is too "celebrity" though. He acts like it. I just have a dislike of him.

I still think he is too "celebrity" though. He acts like it. I just have a dislike of him.

You can't like everyone.

• Like 1

How about using a working astronomer at one of the big new telescopes. The could rotate. lol

Chris Linott for me, i've always seen him as the natural replacement, i like his presenting style, and he always seems enthusiastic about the subject. - so as long as he has the devotion to the show like Patrick did and of course he wants to do the job, i think he'll make a fine presenter, along with help from regulars such as Pete Lawrence, Paul Able. between the three of them they to can inspire generations to come.

edit to add, i feared a few years ago the sky at night would be axed, - i wish they'd make the show one hour long, the poor 20 to 35 minute episodes currently are not long enough. i dont know if the shortness was down to Patrick's age and budget restraints i understand the last few years the reason they were shooting the show in patricks house was the due to Patrick's health.

Edited by stevewinn

Chris Linott for me

I also voted for him, I think he would make a good job of it, he had already taken on much of the workload as Sir Patrick's health deteriorated.

My alternate would by John Mason. He has co-written the Year Book of Astronomy with Sir Patrick for several years now. He is also a frequent quest on The Sky at Night.

When I went to see the 2001 Zimbabwe total solar eclipse, John Mason was astronomy tour guide. He's very knowledgeable, has that same gift Sir Patrick had of explaining things simply but without being condescending and is a nice guy.

Brian May would add a new level of cool, that's for sure! :D I like him becaue he's confident, relatable, and suprisingly humble too. :)

Brian May? Him off of Queen? I didn't even know he knew anything about Astronomy. If they really have to have a "celebrity", I'd have thought Brian Cox (who was also once in a band) would have the credentials of public awareness and scientific credibility.

• Like 1

I think that Brian May on Sky at Night would be pretty awesome, from my Queen Fanboy perspective. Would be a shame to not put the PhD in Astronomy to good use.

If they really have to have a "celebrity", I'd have thought Brian Cox (who was also once in a band) would have the credentials of public awareness and scientific credibility.

Actually when it comes to the Sky at Night Dr Brian May (PhD in astronomy) wins hands down in the scientific credibility stakes over Prof. Brian Cox (PhD in particle physics). His band was much better than Cox's too ;).

As I said earlier in the thread, I like Brian Cox, but I do think the Sky at Night should be presented by an astronomer. I also think Brian Cox's style is better suited to bigger productions, such as his "Wonders of the Universe" and "Wonders of the Solar System" series. TV wise I see him as more of a British Carl Sagan than the new Patrick Moore.

I think that Brian May on Sky at Night would be pretty awesome, from my Queen Fanboy perspective. Would be a shame to not put the PhD in Astronomy to good use.

Although not my first (or even second) choice, I think Brian May would be a good Sky at Night presenter. As an astronomer, fan of the programme and close friend of Sir Patrick's I suspect he would remain faithful to the qualities that have kept the Sky at Night on the air since 1957,

Brian May is not only one of the best guitar players ever, he has a PhD in Astrophysics.

Edited by Eonwe

I wouldn't mind the former keyboard player of D-Ream - the band who had a 1993 hit with "Things Can Only Get Better", which New Labour used as their theme song during their successful 1997 General Election campaign - Professor Brian Cox as the new presenter of Sky at Night. He's a very nice bloke and a fellow Northerner and it's nice to listen to his friendly Oldham accent. The downside for Cox is that he is a physicist, not an astronomer, unlike Lintott.

Chris Lintott has been the main presenter of Sky at Night for a few years now. Sir Patrick had been getting too frail to do the main presenting so Lintott increasingly stepped into his shoes.

It's a safe bet that Lintott will continue to present the show.

The 32-year-old, who has been on the programme since 2000, has also co-written a book with Sir Patrick and Queen guitarist Brian May titled "Bang! – The Complete History of the Universe."

51IqC3d05uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

It's a safe bet that Lintott will continue to present the show.

I wouldn't say that, at the moment it's not even a safe bet that there will be any more of The Sky at Night, as the BBC are not even sure if it will continue after the January show.

That episode, which will be shown at midnight Monday 7th January on BBC1 (ten minutes later in Scotland), was filmed just before Sir Patrick's death.

I wouldn't say that, at the moment it's not even a safe bet that there will be any more of The Sky at Night, as the BBC are not even sure if it will continue after the January show.

That episode, which will be shown at midnight Monday 7th January on BBC1 (ten minutes later in Scotland), was filmed just before Sir Patrick's death.

I don't know why they would end it. I think the show must go on, as they say. I don't think Sir Patrick would have wanted the show to end upon his death.