Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The closer we get,...

Hazzard

Why is that, you think?

Information is beautiful,... here are the for and the against. Science VS pseudo-science. Skeptics VS Believers. http://www.informati...d-of-the-world/

Believe you me, we will be laughing our butts off at these for many years.

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 1

I'm ready for Saturday so all of these threads will die.

If only that was true.

I fear the dumb after-no-apocalypse threads. Silly theories beyond our worst nightmares. ;)

Edited by Jeffertonturner
  • Like 1

I don't believe anything will happen but skeptics and NASA themselves have been giving out misinformation as well.

Like the fact NASA said in their video that their calender works like a cars mileage meter, but instead of 9's it's 13000 or whatever the exact number is (it's 13 something they said) and when it hits that number it just starts again from 0 in a never ending circle. Well that is wrong! lol

This Maya calender does end, then the next one begins and they go on for a very long time. BUT they are all DIFFERENT lengths, they do not work like the mileage clock on a car at all. I was completely shocked that NASA actually said that in their video they released the other day. Just as bad as the end of the world believers giving disinformation.

Anyway the Maya did also say at the end of this calender something will happen with the sun. Obviously if their next calender begins it doesn't mean the world will end, but it could mean there is some change. Might not even be noticeable or they where wrong. lol

But yes the Maya never said it was the end of the world, but NASA and others in the science community are also spreading false information which to me is just as bad. At least tell people the real facts and not some half assed attempt.

Anyway worst case scenario is that our Cell phones and stuff are knocked out for a day or 2. Which might actually be peaceful. lol Even though i could see people panicking, which brings me more onto this subject of NASA and the media handling this whole thing so badly.

If they told it how it was, with the real Maya prophecy etc with the sun and how our cell phones and comms could be knocked out for a while and the history channel etc didn't run all these stupid end of the world documentaries. Then maybe nobody would panic etc.

I blame the media mostly.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

We all have our own doomsday.. it's called death. If people knew the time of their own death, they wouldn't be concern about all those silly (or not) theories and worried more about living their life to the fullest. But hey, who am I to judge.

• Like 4

I don't believe anything will happen but skeptics and NASA themselves have been giving out misinformation as well.

Like the fact NASA said in their video that their calender works like a cars mileage meter, but instead of 9's it's 13000 or whatever the exact number is (it's 13 something they said) and when it hits that number it just starts again from 0 in a never ending circle. Well that is wrong! lol

This Maya calender does end, then the next one begins and they go on for a very long time. BUT they are all DIFFERENT lengths, they do not work like the mileage clock on a car at all. I was completely shocked that NASA actually said that in their video they released the other day. Just as bad as the end of the world believers giving disinformation.

After 60 seconds a new minute begins, after 60 minutes a new hour begins, after 24 hours a new day begins, after 7 days a new week begins, after 12 months a new year begins, after 1 year a new year begins, after 100 years a new century begins, after 1000 years a new millenium begins.

And what NASA said is only an attempt to educate the stupid and gullible, but apparently that wasn't even good enough.

You were "completely shocked"??

Jesus.

• Like 3

I got engaged tonight. It's been a long time coming and everybody thought the end of the world would come before I'd ask her. Wether that'll happen on Friday or not, everybody was wrong.

• Like 8

I was scared to death about Friday but it was just announced that Mitt Romney and Republican pollsters just came out and announced that the world ending Friday is a "sure thing."

• Like 2

If only that was true.

I fear the dumb after-no-apocalypse threads. Silly theories beyond our worst nightmares. ;)

Thats when the fun begins..... all the morons and their crazy behaviour.

• Like 1

I got engaged tonight. It's been a long time coming and everybody thought the end of the world would come before I'd ask her. Wether that'll happen on Friday or not, everybody was wrong.

I've got two things to say

1. Congratulations

2. What the hell you doing on the internet at a time like this?

• Like 1

If only that was true.

Come friday night/ saturday morning believers will be searching news stories for one disaster or another so they can start and "oh this is clearly what the mayans were talking about" thread. And with over 400 natural disasters a year (according to EM-DAT) chances are they'll find something. If there wasn't a disaster it would probably be more statically significant.

I can't wait for all the 2012 hype to die down sometime next year.

• Like 1

Its ok the next ones already loaded ready to go. There wont be lack of material http://earthsky.org/...o-earth-in-2013

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html

http://earthquake.us...arthquakes/map/

take your pick.

Edited by AsteroidX

After 60 seconds a new minute begins, after 60 minutes a new hour begins, after 24 hours a new day begins, after 7 days a new week begins, after 12 months a new year begins, after 1 year a new year begins, after 100 years a new century begins, after 1000 years a new millenium begins.

And what NASA said is only an attempt to educate the stupid and gullible, but apparently that wasn't even good enough.

You were "completely shocked"??

Jesus.

That right there ismy exact reason I was shocked. Nasa shouldn't play stupid games, they should say it like it is. Then we wouldn't have all these people running around thinking it's the and of the world. So all you did was back up my point.

I'm ready for Saturday so all of these threads will die.

They wont die. They will pick a new date and start again:/

• Like 1

I've got two things to say

1. Congratulations

2. What the hell you doing on the internet at a time like this?

Thanks.

Lol, Oh we've been together a long time already. I wasn't even sure when I was going to do it but I decided to last night while we hanging at home. Lots of excitement and phone calls for a couple hours for me but she was on the phone much longer. So I was just doing my regular thing after a while. I'd probably ask the same thing though.

That right there ismy exact reason I was shocked. Nasa shouldn't play stupid games, they should say it like it is. Then we wouldn't have all these people running around thinking it's the and of the world. So all you did was back up my point.

I seriously doubt that the entire staff employed by NASA was involved in that "report"..... probably just one of the janitors.

Anyway the Maya did also say at the end of this calender something will happen with the sun. Obviously if their next calender begins it doesn't mean the world will end, but it could mean there is some change. Might not even be noticeable or they where wrong. lol

But yes the Maya never said it was the end of the world, but NASA and others in the science community are also spreading false information which to me is just as bad. At least tell people the real facts and not some half assed attempt.

Anyway worst case scenario is that our Cell phones and stuff are knocked out for a day or 2. Which might actually be peaceful. lol Even though i could see people panicking, which brings me more onto this subject of NASA and the media handling this whole thing so badly.

If they told it how it was, with the real Maya prophecy etc with the sun and how our cell phones and comms could be knocked out for a while and the history channel etc didn't run all these stupid end of the world documentaries. Then maybe nobody would panic etc.

I blame the media mostly.

NASA has very little to do with the 2012 doomsday nonsense. If they are to blame for something its for even bothering to comment on it.

But then again, I guess someone had to try and calm down the real loonies.

Just google something like "safe place 2012",... The only thing scary about all this is the fact that grown people (moms and dads) believe in this total and utter nonsense. I mean, didnt these people ever go to school!??

There are more than 175 books listed on Amazon.com dealing with the 2012 doomsday. The most popular topics are the Mayan calendar and spiritual predictions that the disaster in 2012 will usher in a new age of happiness and spiritual growth. Quite a few authors are cashing in with manuals on how to survive 2012.

This 2012 story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. Zecharia Sitchin, who writes fiction about the ancient Mesopotamian civilization of Sumer, claimed in several books ( published in 1976) that he has found and translated Sumerian documents that identify the planet Nibiru, orbiting the Sun every 3600 years. These Sumerian fables include stories of “ancient astronauts” visiting Earth from a civilization of aliens called the Anunnaki. Then Nancy Lieder, a self-declared psychic who claims she is channeling aliens, wrote on her website Zetatalk that the inhabitants of a fictional planet around the star Zeta Reticuli warned her that the Earth was in danger from Planet X or Nibiru.

This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was recalculated (a standard procedure for doomsdayers) and moved forward to December 2012. Only recently have these two fables been linked to the end of the Mayan long-count at the winter solstice in 2012, hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.

As this hoax spreads, many more doomsday scenarios are being suggested, mostly unrelated to Nibiru. These include a reversal of the Earths magnetic field, severe solar storms associated with the 11-year solar cycle (which may peak in 2012), a reversal of Earths rotation axis, a 90- degree flip of the rotation axis, bombardment by large comets or asteroids, bombardment by gamma rays, or various unspecified lethal rays coming from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy or the “dark rift” seen in a nearby galactic spiral arm.

Clearly there is money to be made from peoples fear about an approaching doomsday. Many websites are selling books and tapes about Nibiru, and even “survival kits.” It is all very sad, given the many real issues such as global warming and the financial collapse on which our attentions should be focused.

Sometimes I just dont understand people very well. :no:

Edited by Hazzard
  • Like 3

NASA has very little to do with the 2012 doomsday nonsense. If they are to blame for something its for even bothering to comment on it.

But then again, I guess someone had to try and calm down the real loonies.

Just google something like "safe place 2012",... The only thing scary about all this is the fact that grown people (moms and dads) believe in this total and utter nonsense. I mean, didnt these people ever go to school!??

There are more than 175 books listed on Amazon.com dealing with the 2012 doomsday. The most popular topics are the Mayan calendar and spiritual predictions that the disaster in 2012 will usher in a new age of happiness and spiritual growth. Quite a few authors are cashing in with manuals on how to survive 2012.

This 2012 story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. Zecharia Sitchin, who writes fiction about the ancient Mesopotamian civilization of Sumer, claimed in several books ( published in 1976) that he has found and translated Sumerian documents that identify the planet Nibiru, orbiting the Sun every 3600 years. These Sumerian fables include stories of “ancient astronauts” visiting Earth from a civilization of aliens called the Anunnaki. Then Nancy Lieder, a self-declared psychic who claims she is channeling aliens, wrote on her website Zetatalk that the inhabitants of a fictional planet around the star Zeta Reticuli warned her that the Earth was in danger from Planet X or Nibiru.

This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was recalculated (a standard procedure for doomsdayers) and moved forward to December 2012. Only recently have these two fables been linked to the end of the Mayan long-count at the winter solstice in 2012, hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.

As this hoax spreads, many more doomsday scenarios are being suggested, mostly unrelated to Nibiru. These include a reversal of the Earths magnetic field, severe solar storms associated with the 11-year solar cycle (which may peak in 2012), a reversal of Earths rotation axis, a 90- degree flip of the rotation axis, bombardment by large comets or asteroids, bombardment by gamma rays, or various unspecified lethal rays coming from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy or the “dark rift” seen in a nearby galactic spiral arm.

Clearly there is money to be made from peoples fear about an approaching doomsday. Many websites are selling books and tapes about Nibiru, and even “survival kits.” It is all very sad, given the many real issues such as global warming and the financial collapse on which our attentions should be focused.

Sometimes I just dont understand people very well. :no:

I agree with all that, but if NASA are going to comment, they should at least get their facts straight first. It adds more ammunition to the crazy people.

The history channel is the worst offender in my opinion. They have a lot ot answer for.

I agree with all that, but if NASA are going to comment, they should at least get their facts straight first. It adds more ammunition to the crazy people.

That was the point.... blame the poor b****** that got this silly assignment.... not all of NASA.

The real question should be why in the world did they feel it nessesary to coment on crap like this in the first place.

Edited by DBunker
  • Like 3

I have to agree that NASA probably should haven't have even commented. It just seems now they will be expected to comment on all crackpot theories wasting time an resources (even if its only one persons time).

That was the point.... blame the poor b****** that got this silly assignment.... not all of NASA.

The real question should be why in the world did they feel it nessesary to coment on crap like this in the first place.

Yeah I agree, again it makes the crazy people think they are covering something up by commenting. So they comment and get their facts wrong, worst thing they could have done.

NASA should stick to what they are good at, exploring space...... Not bother with the silly stuff.

• Like 1