Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama 'backs assault weapons ban'

Still Waters

Why didn't Jim Jones of the Peoples Temple in 1978 use guns instead of Cyanide to kill his followers of 900+.?

Probably had a lot to do with it being a mass suicide, rather than a mass murder.

What I find interesting is that to buy a handgun in Florida, you must wait 3 days. Anyone can buy a rifle and walk out the same day.

Of course, those who hold CWPs are permitted to buy and take home the same day. All weapons.

But, I disagree with a ban for a plethora of reasons.

Drugs are illegal....yet anyone can secure them.....

Same with any contraband.....it will come with a price, but it will come.

Probably had a lot to do with it being a mass suicide, rather than a mass murder.

A lot of followers didn't know the drinks were poisoned.

What I find interesting is that to buy a handgun in Florida, you must wait 3 days. Anyone can buy a rifle and walk out the same day.

Of course, those who hold CWPs are permitted to buy and take home the same day. All weapons.

But, I disagree with a ban for a plethora of reasons.

Drugs are illegal....yet anyone can secure them.....

Same with any contraband.....it will come with a price, but it will come.

Just like it happened in the Prohibition years between 1920-1933. People obtained there alcohol through black markets.

Exactly. That was a mass murder. I think the difference is, a glass of kool aid just doesn't look as scary as a firearm.

If I have said ( at some point ) that guns should be banned and no one has a right to protect their family, then I would see where the above is coming from.. But since I haven't suggested such a thing, those wild statements you have put forward are not relevant to anything I have in fact posted.. In fact I have stated a few times that people have the given rights to protect themselves and their family if needed..

I'm glad to hear that. Now that I'm clear, you should also try writing at least one post worth of disagreement directed at the people here who are advocating that guns should be banned, unless we're all suddenly going to disagree with Obama and agree with me. I'll accept that outcome btw.

Well, that's one opinion.

My opinion after reading the FBI transcript of the audio tape recorded during the incident is that the vast majority of adults knew exactly what they were doing.

Why didn't Jim Jones of the Peoples Temple in 1978 use guns instead of Cyanide to kill his followers of 900+.?

That pales in comparison with gun killings by miles

A mass suscide is what it was. even though I call it murder... Some of those who left his organisation knew about it, and went to authorities and reported his mass suscide plan, but back then no one would take their word for it.. Many children were poisoned that same day by him.. They had no idea, but the fact is.. This was an evil act of one mad religious freak, but as sad and awful as it was ( and it truly was ) more people in the USA alone die at the hands of a gun and that is true

When you look at the amount of gun killings throughout the world ( for example ) The USA is up in the top 5 countries with gun killing as seen on this chart -> http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

I'm glad to hear that. Now that I'm clear, you should also try writing at least one post worth of disagreement directed at the people here who are advocating that guns should be banned,

You should try actually reading what I have posted before you go off on another rant posting things I have not stated.. My arguments are not about looking guns banned, in fact they never were..If you do the same again and rant off at something I have not posted, your post will be skipped over.. I am not going to waste time arguing with things I have not posted.. I hope that is clear..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

That pales in comparison with gun killings by miles

A mass suscide is what it was. even though I call it murder... Some of those who left his organisation knew about it, and went to authorities and reported his mass suscide plan, but back then no one would take their word for it.. Many children were poisoned that same day by him.. They had no idea, but the fact is.. This was an evil act of one mad religious freak, but as sad and awful as it was ( and it truly was ) more people in the USA alone die at the hands of a gun and that is true

When you look at the amount of gun killings throughout the world ( for example ) The USA is up in the top 5 countries with gun killing as seen on this chart -> http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

You should try actually reading what I have posted before you go off on another rant posting things I have not stated.. My arguments are not about looking guns banned, in fact they never were..If you do the same again and rant off at something I have not posted, your post will be skipped over.. I am not going to waste time arguing with things I have not posted.. I hope that is clear..

That is a very wide margin compared to the top 3 countries (with less population) As for the other countries they have a very small population compared

to the US.which has a population of 300 million +. Ireland is 1.2% of the US population.

PS: Geri Berri is pointing a Bow and Arrow at me. Isn't that dangerous? :w00t:

That is a very wide margin compared to the top 3 countries (with less population) As for the other countries they have a very small population compared

to the US.which has a population of 300 million +. Ireland is 1.2% of the US population.

A better picture would likely be a percentage of people killed per population ...You say Ireland is 1.2 % of the US population, which is likely to be fact.. But a lot of you are linked to the Irish lol There is probably more Irish living in the US than there are in Ireland :P

PS: Geri Berri is pointing a Bow and Arrow at me. Isn't that dangerous? :w00t:

I have had that same Jessica Biel Blade Trinity avatar for years on here.. There was ( a few years ago ) a guy who no longer posts ( can't recall his name ) he was going nuts at everyone over religion... I said man has been doing that for a long time ( or whatever it was we were speaking about at the time ).. and all of a sudden he comes back and goes ballistic calling me sexist because I used the term man ( as in mankind ) and accused me of going off to post a pic of myself as a threat to him over one post.. .......People entered poking fun and others tried to tell him that my avatar was not of me, and told him I have had it for ages, it is not a threat..They even explained that i meant man as in mankind..not being sexist lol.. I think even a mod tried to set him straight.. But the poor guy lost it.. He was lashing at most there at the time.. I think after a while he buggered off... It was funny but at the same time weird lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

At the very least, children aren't capable of making life and death decisions for themselves. Jonestown was a massacre whether a majority of people committed suicide or not. What's the point of trying to claim this was merely a "mass suicide"? To imply that mass murder isn't possible without guns.

A good reason for bringing Jonestown up as a case study is because it demonstrates how much more deadly a vat full of kool aid can be to an assault rifle with a box full of bullets. 900 people aren't going to stand in line and step right up on stage to receive a bullet in their head. Drinking the sweet cherry drink and falling asleep sounds a lot more appealing, even though it's still stunning to think even that was possible. The example demonstrates that a vat of fruit punch can be more deadly than an AR-15.

"Children can not make that decision for themselves. They are children. Parents have to make the choice for their child." ~Laura Johnston Kohl

I'm fairly sure that the "If I had access to a publicly unavailable and heavily restricted substance such as Cyanide and managed to persuade several hundred adults to commit suicide using it, then I could kill way more than 20 children if I wanted to, so therefore I should be allowed to own a semi-automatic weapon" argument isn't exactly a winning one.

Edited by Tiggs

Neither is restricting access to drugs and Kool Aid after Jonestown, or gasoline and matches after Waco.

Matches don't kill anyone. Kool Aid doesn't kill anyone. Gasoline or other flammable substances don't kill anyone. Gigantic arsenals of nuclear weapons don't kill anyone. Starting to understand?

Neither is restricting access to drugs and Kool Aid after Jonestown, or gasoline and matches after Waco.

Matches don't kill anyone. Kool Aid doesn't kill anyone. Gasoline or other flammable substances don't kill anyone. Gigantic arsenals of nuclear weapons don't kill anyone. Starting to understand?

It wasn't koolaid that killed anyone, it was cyanide. And last I checked, you can't go into the store and, ask for cyanide and walk out with it.

It wasn't koolaid that killed anyone, it was cyanide. And last I checked, you can't go into the store and, ask for cyanide and walk out with it.

Indeed. Cyanide was, and remains, restricted

It's not that there's not an argument to be made that guns aren't the only thing that can kill people.

It's that attempting to make that argument with a restricted substance can be easily dismissed by the argument that dangerous things should be restricted.

Kool aid isn't dangerous without poison, oxygen isn't dangerous without fuel and a spark, and guns aren't dangerous without bullets. You can buy gasoline and lighters at the store. These dangerous items aren't restricted. You can buy them on every street corner in the country. You can't buy cyanide at the store, but you can cook up poisonous concoctions from constituent parts that you can buy, and kill people with them.

If you don't disagree with Americans being able to buy bullets at the store, then what all of these examples have in common is that they're just inanimate objects that don't kill anyone.