Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this real?....It is Science...

Sakari

Last one still isnt fully understood by scientists. It is interesting chemical reaction.

Edited by the L

Best to keep the handbags at dawn material to PMs guys, no (Kenin and Sakari)?

Regarding the OP: it looks like the Yuuzhan Vong have finally made it to earth.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

You people need to get out more .

Its been around since the 50s,and even south park had an episode on it .

I had them every fourth of July .

http://en.wikipedia....snake_(firework)

How does not knowing about that snake equate to us needing to get out more? The video you posted was one of the most boring videos I've ever seen. If anything, you should've said we need to stay in more. :)

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

That's awesome! I want to freak out my female housemates with this...

You people need to get out more .

Its been around since the 50s,and even south park had an episode on it .

I had them every fourth of July .

Really Simbi? Many of us, including myself, would have seen that South Park episode.

It still doesn't detract from the coolness of the chemical reaction.

Edited by Timonthy

How does not knowing about that snake equate to us needing to get out more? The video you posted was one of the most boring videos I've ever seen. If anything, you should've said we need to stay in more. :)

I find it shocking that a firework ,that is over 60 years old,when done with the toxic version ,is somehow news .

So begs the question ,why post something so mundane.

I wasn't going for exciting with my vid,just how common place it is ,and how is it so ground breaking in its many many years after the fact factor .

The fact you didn't seem to know about it,says a lot about how much you do not get out .

Shall I post a video of someone making pudding ,with powder and milk ,as if its some NEW SORT OF MAGIC !?!?!!

LOOK ,IT'S NOT LIQUID ANYMORE,WHY WHY WHY ,IT'S PUDDING !

Sorry ,the op didn't move me to tears .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

O

That's awesome! I want to freak out my female housemates with this...

Really Simbi? Many of us, including myself, would have seen that South Park episode.

It still doesn't detract from the coolness of the chemical reaction.

It's the toxic version of the experiment,which is outlawed.

Some moron lighting it in a terrarium with living plants,is stupid .

If that's the sort of thing that enthralls you all,well,whatever works for you .

My tastes tend to be a bit more humane,and evolved.

If this were posted in general off topic ,I'd get it,but as science .neh.

And if any of you remembered its just firework snakes ,not one of you mentioned it .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

And if any of you remembered its just firework snakes ,not one of you mentioned it .

It was mentioned on the second reply, quoted below :)

Kill it, kill it with... oh wait... :o

http://chemistry.abo...aohs-snakes.htm

It's really cool, but sure is creepy!

Simbi, I grew up where fireworks are illegal.....Even when I went to where they were, I all ways spent the money and bought mortors.

I have heard of the snakes, but they do not look how the video does. I almost thought it was fake, that is why I posted it. I was not sure, and I new people in the science section would.

I learned something new :)

Edited by Sakari

Shall I post a video of someone making pudding ,with powder and milk ,as if its some NEW SORT OF MAGIC !?!?!!

LOOK ,IT'S NOT LIQUID ANYMORE,WHY WHY WHY ,IT'S PUDDING !

Sorry ,the op didn't move me to tears .

No need to get all snarky, condescending and nasty Simbi.

Many of us simply never seen a chemical reaction quite like that. Many of us seen those black snake things but the reaction in the video went beyond mere childs play.

That doesn't make us stupid or ignorant.

• Like 3

Wiki says "Mercury thiocyanate was formerly used in pyrotechnics causing an effect known as the Pharaoh's serpent or Pharaoh's snake. When the compound is in the presence of a strong enough heat source, a rapid exothermic reaction is started which produces a large mass of coiling serpent-like solid. An inconspicuous flame which is often blue but can also occur in yellow/orange accompanies the combustion. The resulting solid can range from dark graphite grey to light tan in color with the inside generally much darker than the outside.[2]

This property was discovered soon after the first synthesis of mercury thiocyanate by Wöhler in 1821: "winding out from itself at the same time worm-like processes, to many times its former bulk, a very light material the color of graphite...". For some time, a firework product called "Pharaoschlangen" was available to the public in Germany, but was eventually banned when the toxic properties of the product were discovered through the death of several children mistakenly eating the resulting solid.[2]

A similar, though less extreme, effect to the Pharaoh's serpent can be achieved using a firework known as a black snake. These are generally benign products, usually consisting of sodium bicarbonate or a mixture of linseed oil and napthalenes." Facinating